The "To:" header as forwarded by SpamGourmet

General discussion re sg.

The "To:" header as forwarded by SpamGourmet

Postby vsp » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:21 pm

Hi,

When SG forwards my emails and I receive them at my Hotmail ID, they invariably get sent to my Junk folder because the To: header reads as my SG email ID.

I was wondering if the forwarded message could possibly make the To: field my forwarded to Hotmail email ID and tag the SG ID in some other SG-specific header maybe
vsp

Postby josh » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:30 am

so that's it...

We can work on that soon.
josh

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:41 am

I'd rather you didn't.

If you change the To: header, how are you to know which SG address, if any, the mail was sent to?

Postby SysKoll » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:35 pm

Josh,

Seems like yet another option to configure.

First thing: change the way the options are stored in the database into a bit mask.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:32 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'd rather you didn't.

If you change the To: header, how are you to know which SG address, if any, the mail was sent to?

I am not familiar with the relevant standards, but the To: header is a common header which is used, in the case of Hotmail, by the receiving mail server to identify whether the email is spammy or not. Spamgourmet can always introduce a new header such as X-SG-To:, or something, to let the receiver know which SG address the email was originally sent to

Postby vsp » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:15 pm

Here is an exact description of Hotmail's message on indicating that the message sent by SG need not be considered junk because it was from a mailing list .
"
Messages from some mailing lists arrive at your account with 'To:' address that isn't your e-mail address. Most often the 'To:' address is the mailing list's address. These messages are likely to be filtered to your Junk E-Mail Folder.

To ensure you receive mailing list messages in your Inbox, <xyz>.5.vsp@spamgourmet.com has been added to your list of mailing lists.

To edit your Mailing Lists go to the Mailing Lists page.
"

Hope that is a compelling argument to convince folks of the reason I asked for the change. Of course, I have no objection to make it configurable per SG login as indicated in a previous post by SysKoll.

It may be helpfult to make the "To:" header read as the forwarded to ID by default instead of the SG ID the mail was originally sent to. You can always put the SG ID in an SG specific header
vsp

Postby josh » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:05 am

will they let you put a domain in the mailing list list?
josh

Postby vsp » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:51 pm

josh wrote:will they let you put a domain in the mailing list list?

No they won't . They expect a valid email address there, not a domain name.

</Rant on need for request feature>
I feel SG should act like a transparent proxy with regards to the commonly used headers. There is no need for my Hotmail provider to see in the To: header that the mail wasn't originally sent to the Hotmail address. SG can put my Hotmail ID (actually the address I have provisioned as my forward to address) in the To: header and tag the SG ID in a new SG-specific non-standard non-common header.
</End Rant>

Enough said :-)
vsp

Postby SysKoll » Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:33 pm

So do we offer that as an option?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

To:, X-SG-To:, Envelope-to:, and header comments

Postby Guest (Paul) » Thu May 27, 2004 9:48 am

A couple questions and a couple comments.

First, does anyone know if Hotmail adds an "Envelope-to:" header line (in the extended headers) if that address does not appear in the To: header?

Reading the guide for Exim 4 (section 2.2.2), I'm reminded of three things: first, that things in (parentheses) are considered comments in headers; second, that the envelope could still be addressed to multiple spamgourmet users; third, that some MTAs will add an "Envelope-to:" header if the envelope address does not appear in the list of receivers (as in this case).

So ... a couple choices come to mind: the spamgourmet address could be put into parentheses in the To header and the true address added (not sure of implications on line length, reply emails, etc); spamgourmet could substitute the To: address(es?) and add either an Envelope-to: or custom header.

e.g. To: hello.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com becomes
To: user@myisp.com (hello.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com)

Or add Envelope-to: hello.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com
Or add X-SG-to: hello.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com

Or perhaps this is a reasonable application for the Resent-xx headers (e.g. rfc2822, section a.3 (pp 43,44)). In which case, this might be good default behaviour.

Otherwise, of course, (as discussed) this may be better set as an option ...

As an aside (since I haven't looked at the code): if an email is sent to multiple spamgourmet receivers which resolve to the same 'true' domain, will spamgourmet handle the users together or independently?
Guest (Paul)

Return to General Discussion