Forum logs me out before I can even make a post or edit

General discussion re sg.

Forum logs me out before I can even make a post or edit

Postby pogue972 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:11 pm

The timeout on logins is literally like 2 minutes. I tried in an inprivate window to hopefully save my login for longer than it works on the regular browser window, but everytime I type a message, it prompts me to login, even thought I logged in just a minute or two go go. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong the phpBB config and needs to be looked at ASAP!!!
pogue972

Re: Forum logs me out before I can even make a post or edit

Postby pogue972 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:29 pm

I switched to an inprivate window and it's keeping me login, so it must be one of my plugins. Still, what version of PhpBB board. This forum looks like it use a serious update in it's software. Usually it's just plug and play. Download the update, it installs, and nothing changes except the administrator is given more options and the posting screen looking cleaner for users.

Obviously make a backup or your mySQL and phpBB before updating.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:58 pm

This BBS is configured in a very old school way. Atleast for me, the sid in the url is needed to continue to be logged in. When you click links in the pages, it works as expected but it doesn't work if for instance you open an old bookmark.

Essentiall try this:
1) Close all bbs tabs
2) Open a new tab and login
3) Now browse wherever you want by clicking links and searching from this tab, as opposed to opening old bookmarks or using google.

It should work fine then, if not I'd be curious as to what you see.
dragonfeather

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:27 pm

dragonfeather wrote:This BBS is configured in a very old school way. Atleast for me, the sid in the url is needed to continue to be logged in. When you click links in the pages, it works as expected but it doesn't work if for instance you open an old bookmark.

Essentiall try this:
1) Close all bbs tabs
2) Open a new tab and login
3) Now browse wherever you want by clicking links and searching from this tab, as opposed to opening old bookmarks or using google.

It should work fine then, if not I'd be curious as to what you see.

No, that's not what's happening. I'm opening an email notification that takes me to the SG BBS and I'm already in another window logged in, then it asks me to login again - even after checking remember me.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:01 pm

pogue972 wrote:
dragonfeather wrote:No, that's not what's happening. I'm opening an email notification that takes me to the SG BBS and I'm already in another window logged in, then it asks me to login again - even after checking remember me.

Actually, that sounds exactly like something I'd expect based on my theory. If you go the window where you are logged in, and try to view posts, you'll be able to.
dragonfeather

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:09 pm

dragonfeather wrote:
pogue972 wrote:
dragonfeather wrote:No, that's not what's happening. I'm opening an email notification that takes me to the SG BBS and I'm already in another window logged in, then it asks me to login again - even after checking remember me.

Actually, that sounds exactly like something I'd expect based on my theory. If you go the window where you are logged in, and try to view posts, you'll be able to.

So, I'm in the tab that already has the SG BBS open. I paste the link and hit enter. Then it takes me directly to the login screen. This is completely ridiculous, and as I have mentioned in the past, this version of phpBB desperately needs to be updated. I wouldn't be surprised if there are even some exploits out in the wild for the version.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 am

pogue972 wrote:So, I'm in the tab that already has the SG BBS open. I paste the link and hit enter. Then it takes me directly to the login screen.

Again, that's what I'd expect. The problem is this BBS cannot be pasted in or opened from external links. You have to navigate where you want to go by clicking links inside.

pogue972 wrote:So, I'm in the tab that already has the SG BBS open. I paste the link and hit enter. Then it takes me directly to the login screen. This is completely ridiculous, and as I have mentioned in the past, this version of phpBB desperately needs to be updated. I wouldn't be surprised if there are even some exploits out in the wild for the version.

100% agreed.
dragonfeather

Return to General Discussion