ATTN: Josiah!!! SG is in DESPERATE need of some New Domains

General discussion re sg.

Re: ATTN: Josiah!!! SG is in DESPERATE need of some New Doma

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:15 pm

dragonfeather wrote:
pogue972 wrote:This is a an absolute EOL (end of life) situation for Spamgourmet if Josiah doesn't intervene. I have no other way to contact him. If he doesn't want to continue to run this service anymore, he should do a gradual winddown and let us transfer all our emails to a different service like trashmail (which, incidentally having the same problem and the owner has promised to buy up domains in bulk for use with the service)

I agree that the situation is bad, but I'm not quite sure that we have a solution or anything Josiah can do either. Sure, we can add new domains but it'll pop up on those lists practically instantly, and nothing changes.

We need a better solution, but I have no clue what that could be other than each of us running our own spamgourmet instance.

I think you're overestimating how fast these new domains will show up on blacklists. If we keep it hush hush it's probably less likely they'll show up on any lists. I've always advocated for domains that look like fake ISPs like kansas-telecom.net or georgia-fiber.com and things that look less innocuous.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:13 am

dragonfeather wrote:Hi pogue,

Please remove the list of domains that you have published from all places (both your posts and bitbin, even though it's ROT13). The reason is that these are not just bots scraping these, we have humans doing this too and they'll get to it. We just need one pro-spam lurker to see this and have the entire list of domains exposed in one fell swoop.

Read this FAQ entry that Josh wrote on this.

Q. I think they're on to me - are there any other domains I can use besides spamgourmet.com?
A. Yes - you can use spamgourmet.net, spamgourmet.org, ....
Best to pick one and stick with it, since that will make it easier to remember your spamgourmet addresses if you have to. There are other domains you can use, as well (search around the site and BBS, and the web, too). We don't list them all in one place, because some webmasters configure their sites to reject our addresses, and it seems like they come here to see which domains to reject. (If you *are* one of these people, why do you do this? What good does it really do for you, and don't you have better things to do?

I know you are doing this with the best intentions, but I think Josh has a point that we should respect here. Hope you can take these off soon and delete your bitbin as well!

@Pogue: Bumping this in case you missed it. I think we shouldn't have the list of domains in any single place, and having the domains listed (even with ROT13) only makes it easier for the spam-loving-marketers to block us.
dragonfeather

Postby pogue972 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:21 pm

dragonfeather wrote:
dragonfeather wrote:Hi pogue,

Please remove the list of domains that you have published from all places (both your posts and bitbin, even though it's ROT13). The reason is that these are not just bots scraping these, we have humans doing this too and they'll get to it. We just need one pro-spam lurker to see this and have the entire list of domains exposed in one fell swoop.

Read this FAQ entry that Josh wrote on this.

Q. I think they're on to me - are there any other domains I can use besides spamgourmet.com?
A. Yes - you can use spamgourmet.net, spamgourmet.org, ....
Best to pick one and stick with it, since that will make it easier to remember your spamgourmet addresses if you have to. There are other domains you can use, as well (search around the site and BBS, and the web, too). We don't list them all in one place, because some webmasters configure their sites to reject our addresses, and it seems like they come here to see which domains to reject. (If you *are* one of these people, why do you do this? What good does it really do for you, and don't you have better things to do?

I know you are doing this with the best intentions, but I think Josh has a point that we should respect here. Hope you can take these off soon and delete your bitbin as well!

@Pogue: Bumping this in case you missed it. I think we shouldn't have the list of domains in any single place, and having the domains listed (even with ROT13) only makes it easier for the spam-loving-marketers to block us.

I think you're being a little over paranoid as I doubt they would waste their time trying to decode it as there are only ~3 secret domains, and unfortunately, they have already located and blacklists all our domains. They have technical means, such as looking up the MX of all the servers and seeing their the same and etc to add them to a blocklist.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:13 pm

Sure, you know better than Josh who maintained this service for 20 years. And everyone on this forum.

And yeah nobody will think to search the forums for the word "domain" to find domains.

You must know what you are talking about because you are the only one with a different opinion than everyone else.
dragonfeather

Postby bobp » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 pm

I know not everyone is a technie, but here is what I have done for myself. I have a $5/mo "droplet" (virtual machine) at DigitalOcean.com and installed Postfix MTA on it. I also have purchased my own, private domain name and setup the DNS with my droplet's hostname as the MX (mail exchanger). Postfix is configured to rewrite the recipient domain name and substitute one of the SG domain names and forward the message to SG. Message@mydomain.com => message@spamgourmet.com => message@myrealemail.com. Additionally, although not germane to this topic, I have a procmail script which packages my email as an RFC822 message MIME attachment and forwards it to my gmail account as well. That way Gmail doesn't reject it or toss it in the spam folder.

I will forward a few other domains for members of SG as long the domain names are kept private and secret. First come, first served. I do not want my mail server on a blacklist. if someone wants to sett up their own Postfix configuration like this, I am available to help on a limited basis.

Also, one of the reasons why all of the SG domains are on the blacklist is that they all have "gourmet7.spamgourmet.com" listed as the MX in their DNS zone file. They are easy to find. So, I suggest that each domain create a DNS A record "mx.thisdomain.com A 216.75.62.102 (IP address of gourmet7.spamgourmet.com) and then create an MX record like this: "@ MX 10 mx.thisdomain.com." Each domain then will have a different MX record (although the same IP address for the MX record). This may help future domains from being blacklisted. Josiah just needs to kept aware of the domain names.
bobp

Postby michaeldlr » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:57 am

I think the only solution which can reliably work is to find ways of proxying spamgourmet style forwarding through other major email providers such as gmail, hotmail and so on. This will mean that if they start blocking those providers they will start to lose a major part of their userbase I have just posted an example configuration which does a minimal spamgourmet implmentation via gmail.

I guess that providing actual spamgourmet service fronted by gmail would require an separate forwarding server to take the incoming email addresses (e.g. format address+watchword+[number]+keyword@gmail.com and then map them to spamgourmet addresses address.[number].watchwordkeyword@spamgourmet.com).
michaeldlr

Postby vasile » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:24 pm

@bobp your solution looks great but what happens when you reply to one of the emails received this way? Does SG send the reply? This means that SG must also be configured for your domain, right?
vasile

Previous

Return to General Discussion