Unexplained inbound email behaviour.

General discussion re sg.

Unexplained inbound email behaviour.

Postby 0604 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:57 pm

I have an odd problem with inbound email from one particular sender. I don't think it is a spamgourmet problem (of course, it might be), but someone with a better understanding of email processing in general and spamgourmet in particular may be able to shed some light on it.

Both I and my partner use (separate) spamgourmet accounts. We both get send a mailing list email on a weekly basis by our sports club with details of the next weeks events.

She gets the emails. I don't.

I have once, and once only, received the email. I am on the mailing list with my correct spamgourmet address, as I am listed in the 'To:' list in the email she gets.

The address being sent to has plenty of messages to go - it hasn't counted down to zero and started eating messages, and I can send messages to that address from other places. The sports club don't get bounces or other error messages.

Could spamgourmet be selectively ignoring this one sender? I have had the sports club re-enter my address to make sure there isn't a typo (like using zero for the lettter 'o', or one for the letter 'l').

Any thoughts or avenues to explore gratefully received.

Regards

<Anonymous>

Postby SysKoll » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:01 pm

Are you using different ISPs for forwarding addresses? It sounds like your ISP is eating SG mail. Who are the ISPs in question?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby 0604 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:48 am

Are you using different ISPs for forwarding addresses? It sounds like your ISP is eating SG mail. Who are the ISPs in question?

Yes, we are using different ISPs. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be relevant as I get SG mail reliably from all my other forwarding addresses. I'm not absolutely sure who provides the actual Internet connection in both cases, but they are both likely to be large (and hopefully experienced) suppliers. I suspect it's Cable & Wireless (me) and ?Euronet (my partner)

In both our cases, the mail is forwarded to 'corporate' email accounts.

However, you have triggered a thought that perhaps mail from this one sender is triggering a SPAM/Virus response from my corporate email - although even then, I should be told by my corporate email system that an incoming email has been blocked/dropped because of an infected attachment.

As I said, I don't think this is an SG problem- but thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

<Anonymous>

Postby SysKoll » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:25 pm

You can perform a simple test: send an email to an SG address that is forwared to one of the accounts where you experience vanishing emails.
When you send the email, create a new disposable.

Then logon to SG and go to the advanced mode, look for that new disposable.

If it's there, it means that the email has been duly received by SG, and I don't see why it wouldn't forward it. The culprit then becomes your forwarding address's ISP or corporate mailing system.

Ask the ISP or mail sysadmin if they rely on some blacklists. The whole HE.net IP interval is blacklisted by some overzealous people for hosting spammers in the past, and unfortunately, HE.net is our hosting provider.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion