New User question about domains

General discussion re sg.

New User question about domains

Postby CanUser » Sun May 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Hello all,

First my condolences to the family and friends of Josh. I was searching for a solution earlier this year and stumbled onto this service. It was exactly what I was looking for, but was locked to new users. I was cleaning up some old notes and was reminded of this service and thought I'd check in on the status. Very please to see that it will carry on and is once again open to new users.

I see there are a variety of domains to choose from. I tried a couple and initially thought xoxy.net didn't work, but have since realized that this was a newbie error on my part and all is well with that domain.

But in reading various posts, it seems some folks have had issues using certain domains. Are there other domains that I should stay away from that tend to be problematic?

Thanks!
Last edited by CanUser on Mon May 18, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanUser

Re: New User question about domains

Postby josiah » Mon May 18, 2020 7:57 pm

CanUser,

It's possible that the e-mail you specified is misformed for the spec. did you try something like someword.username@xoxy.net? Is there any other information you could share about it? PM would be fine with me.

Josiah
josiah

Postby CanUser » Mon May 18, 2020 9:13 pm

josiah wrote:CanUser,

It's possible that the e-mail you specified is misformed for the spec. did you try something like someword.username@xoxy.net? Is there any other information you could share about it? PM would be fine with me.

Josiah

Sorry Josiah, indeed I did create an invalid email address. My fault. I've updated my original post. Thanks for the reply!
CanUser

Postby cebe » Thu May 21, 2020 10:20 am

I hit a snag trying to create a Samsung account today - it did not accept dfgh.net or xoxy.net domains (or any of the known ones... had a dig the board and found a [donated domain ?] for use)

Apart from either ditching the provider OR providing an alternate regular account, are there any alternatives ?

(i do know I can use my own domain, ) but was wondering if there's any other ways adopted by members ?
cebe

Postby CanUser » Thu May 21, 2020 5:27 pm

cebe wrote:I hit a snag trying to create a Samsung account today - it did not accept dfgh.net or xoxy.net domains (or any of the known ones... had a dig the board and found a [donated domain ?] for use)

Apart from either ditching the provider OR providing an alternate regular account, are there any alternatives ?

(i do know I can use my own domain, ) but was wondering if there's any other ways adopted by members ?

What what the complaint/error message that the Samsung site gave you when you tried to use one of these addresses?
CanUser

Postby cebe » Sat May 23, 2020 4:46 pm

CanUser wrote:
What what the complaint/error message that the Samsung site gave you when you tried to use one of these addresses?

This was when I was trying to create a username on the phone.. The email address field has validation and gave the error "Can't use this address" (IIRC)
cebe

Postby CanUser » Sat May 23, 2020 7:06 pm

cebe wrote:
CanUser wrote:

This was when I was trying to create a username on the phone.. The email address field has validation and gave the error "Can't use this address" (IIRC)

Maybe someone else can comment on this. I've seen cases where some systems don't like subdomain email addresses and I *think* but can't recall for sure that I may have seen some that don't like a dot in the email address before the @.

So somename@subdomain.domain.com is deemed invalid for some systems, but not a problem here as subdomains aren't being used.
And somename.username@domain.com should also be valid, but it seems that Samsung didn't like it. Might have been the domain used, or might have been the dot before the @
CanUser

Postby cebe » Mon May 25, 2020 3:54 am

CanUser wrote: Might have been the domain used, or might have been the dot before the @

It was the domain, the same user id worked with a non published domain
cebe

Postby CanUser » Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm

cebe wrote:
CanUser wrote: Might have been the domain used, or might have been the dot before the @

It was the domain, the same user id worked with a non published domain

I just encountered a case where the .net domain wasn't accepted but the .work domain was. Interesting. Good that we have options!
CanUser

Postby r2d2 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:40 am

Welcome to SpamGourmet, One thing you should be aware of is in the FAQ

Q. I hate spam, and so I report it to places like spamcop so that they can put the spammers' servers on blocklists. Can I do that with messages that are forwarded to me by spamgourmet?
A. Don't do this unless you're sure you know what you're doing. Many well-meaning spamgourmet users report spam in a way that implicates the spamgourmet servers as the source of the spam! When this happens, it jeopardizes the entire service (because many users won't receive their mail if the spamgourmet servers wind up on a blocklist). Also, it consumes a lot of our time trying to get the issues cleared up. This has actually (and ironically) turned into one of our biggest problems, and so we've added a clause to our terms of service that prohibits the reporting of forwarded messages in a way that implicates our servers as the source of spam (unless they really were the source, but it'll be a cold day in...). If it looks like your reporting is jeopardizing our service, we won't hesitate to disable your account -- don't take it personally.
r2d2

Return to General Discussion