clyp.it started blocking (retroactively too!) Spamgourmet

General discussion re sg.

clyp.it started blocking (retroactively too!) Spamgourmet

Postby lwc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Bad news, the YouTube-for-audio service clyp.it no longer allows registering - or even logging in for existing users - from addresses that end with Spamgourmet and its aliases (I tried a couple).

It might be the first time I've ever experienced a retroactive block on Spamgourmet.
I've been using them for years, which means with this retroactive block they hold all my past audio uploads hostage!

I wrote to them and hope they'll reconsider.
Attachments
blocked.png
blocked.png (46.67 KiB) Viewed 20416 times
lwc

Re: clyp.it started blocking (retroactively too!) Spamgourme

Postby lwc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:05 pm

I got a reply that they refuse to give me access to my past recordings and that Spamgourmet is not legitimate:

[Spamgourmet] and other spam email providers are blocked from the system. You will not be able to access an account or issue a password reset for an account created with that domain.

Your only option is to create a new account with a legitimate email provider.
lwc

Postby lwc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:06 am

After I explained it's no different than Gmail, they replied:

Gmail is different because it requires more user information when registering. They have better mechanisms for preventing abuse.

We do not sell email addresses to 3rd parties.

As compromise, they agreed to temporarily lift the Spamgourmet ban to give me a chance to log in and replace my address away from Spamgourmet (into a address+suffix@gmail.com one...).
lwc

Postby jgonggrijp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:02 pm

"Not legitimate". Really painful misunderstanding of the service. Glad you could at least regain control of your very own audio clips.
jgonggrijp

Return to General Discussion