Spamgourmet will stay up, and some life updates

General discussion re sg.

Re: Spamgourmet will stay up, and some life updates

Postby Whatifi » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:04 am

Josiah,

I am at a loss for words at the news of your father’s passing as well as your generosity in continuing Spamgourmet. I hope he knew how much he was appreciated.

❤️
Whatifi

Postby sopan123 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:12 pm

Joshia,

our heartfelt support for you and your family at the sad news of your father's illness. i've been there often. In the end, God doesn't let any of us out alive. There's noway out except UP. as in toward love, and the light. I have encouraged your Dad to place a nominal yearly fee for the use of service. Several years if fact, but each time he demurred. I know without ever asking that 99% of the users would be HAPPY to pay the fair fee for you to learn and run the system,PLUS make the honest profit it deserves.

i'm sure from my own fatherhood experiences, that despite what he might say, he'd be overjoyed to find you safe and secure financially using his work as a start.

Please feel free to PM me or

sopan123@pm.me

icantread@trashmail.net

for anything.

i have started and run tech companies. I always admired your dad's just do it attitude, when encountering something he wanted to counter, ...spam. His work should be an OS or net provider standard upgrade option. It's a very important piece of work.

thanks
sopan123

Postby leishirsute » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 pm

What brave souls are Josh and his family.
I read the email threads and was in awe of someone who was dealing with his health problems and still owning the responsibility of the email security of others.
Josiah, thank you for continuing the ownership of this valuable service.
Would you prefer us to wait to donate until you have a donate site arranged, or should we continue to use the donate link on the spamgourmet website?
leishirsute

Postby sba923 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:17 am

Hi Josiah,

Please let us know how you want to accept donations looking forward. In memory of your father, this service deserves eternal life.

Anything I can do to help you running the service?

My daughter's turned 13, and soon she'll be asked everywhere to supply her email address. Your dad's work changed my life so much, I'd hate that she wouldn't get the same protection.

Best regards,

Stéphane, Charenton-le-Pont, France
sba923

Postby dncarac » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:17 am

I'm sorry to hear about your father. As much as I want SG to continue on, I hope you put him, and your family, first.

Den
dncarac

Postby zmikelewis1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:08 am

I just logged in to Spamgourmet to add a new address. I have e not been on for a long time, so I was not aware of your father's health problems and subsequent demise. I discovered that I was unable to add a new address. Has the plan changed to shut the service down again, or will adding a new address be back up soon?
zmikelewis1

Postby pogue972 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:14 pm

I'm sorry about your father's passing. But he left a great legacy with Spamgourmet and this excellent platform that can be used hopefully for a long time. On my main account I have 10,614 emails forwarded, 99,215 eaten. I have 473 spamgourmet address(es).

This has allowed me to spend more time doing the things I love and enjoy and not having to deal with spam and not getting hacked because I use a different email for every website. Just take a look at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and see all the people who use the same email address for every account and how often their user information gets exposed.

The whole system is genius and your dad is a credit to humanity for bringing this online.
pogue972

Postby sifter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:31 pm

Although it is subject to the restrictions that other disposable / anonymous email services are experiencing, I still find this a very useful service. In appreciation I just sent a small donation to cover the bandwidth that I use plus perhaps some that others use. I encourage others users who value this service to do the same.

Thanks, Josiah!
sifter

Postby mshay » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:36 pm

Dear Josiah,

I've been using spamgourmet for so long that I don't even know when I started, but I think it has been over 20 years. My account says: "Your message stats: 24,555 forwarded, 340,875 eaten. You have 606 spamgourmet address(es)."

I'm embarrassed to say that I never created a forum account until today. My deepest thanks to you and your dear departed father for all you have done for this community. I'll be making a donation today, something I should have done 20 years ago. I'll be making a donation right after I post this message.

Best wishes,
Michael Shay
mshay

Postby sba923 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:04 pm

Dear Josiah,

Spamgourmet has been a key component of my online life for soooooo long. Two accounts, main one with 51,947 forwarded / 4,367 eaten / 876 addresses, and a secondary one created because some sites don't like my account name containing the string "spam" :lol:

Recently taught my 14yo daughter to hide her real email addresses.

Thanks a zillion to you and your late father for making our online world a better one.

I'm so ashamed for not having donated any sooner, but I've just fixed that.

Best regards,

Stéphane BARIZIEN.
sba923

Postby jim » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:26 pm

Not that it's hard to find, but in case anyone else is wondering the donate link is in the top/right corner of the home page here:
https://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl

You can donate via PayPal (Amazon list is empty).
jim

Postby sifter » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:28 pm

I have just made my annual donation to Spam Gourmet, and encourage others to do the same.

Thanks for maintaining this valuable service, Josiah!
sifter

Postby kerflot » Tue May 02, 2023 6:49 am

Tried to donate using two browsers.
I clicked on the "Donate" link at the top right of the page.

I got this error message from Paypal "We're sorry, things don't appear to be working right now. Please try again later".

It has been 2 hours, still same problem.
kerflot

Postby lwc » Thu May 04, 2023 12:06 am

kerflot wrote:I clicked on the "Donate" link at the top right of the page.

I got this error message from Paypal "We're sorry, things don't appear to be working right now. Please try again later".

Josiah refuses to use the what's new forum, so you might to catch announcements in other forums, like the one in which you wrote your message:
Josiah wrote:We will be shutting down the paypal account effective immediately in light of Paypal's new 1099 $600 reporting threshold for 2023, before we exceed $600 for the year, and I will sustain operations until we are on a new platform.
lwc

Postby elseesea » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Venmo?
elseesea

Previous

Return to General Discussion