Alternatives to spamgourmet

General discussion re sg.

Re: Alternatives to spamgourmet

Postby jcovett » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:57 am

I have long feared this moment that Spamgourmet would decommission. Last year when I had some time I created a service for myself based on the Mailgun apis and a privately held domain name. Specifically, it allows me to create aliases on the fly, which I find the most useful feature of Spamgourmet. Being based on Mailgun.com api it allows me to control the email flows. It works for me.

To be honest I haven't worked on it since last winter but I intend to continue later this year. Yet I am no schooled software programmer and building an application that hosts thousands of users and millions of emails is far beyond my skill. If anyone here is an accomplished (python) programmer who wishes to cooperate, send me a message via this board or xcvb.jcovett@spamgourmet.com and perhaps we can work something out. It will be a sore loss to the world if the work of Josh is not continued somehow.
jcovett

Postby jgonggrijp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:30 am

jcovett, please publish your code so that not one, but many accomplished Python programmers can look at it. If you put it on GitLab, Bitbucket or GitHub, you can ping me because I happen to have accounts over there. It's always the same name, @jgonggrijp.
jgonggrijp

Postby jcovett » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 am

hi jgonggrijp I emailed you on info@ your personal website.
jcovett

Postby jgonggrijp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 pm

info@ my domain doesn't work, but you can PM me here on the forums or email me at jcovett.jgonggrijp <whirlpool> xoxy.net.

(In case other forums users want to email me: please substitute your own username for jcovett.)
jgonggrijp

Postby Duckjibe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello Guys,

I had a look on the alternatives however there are a lot out there. For sure nothing like Spamgourmet but probably usable.
Main target for me: On-The-Fly Emails and some statistics and dashboard for managing.

I had a first deeper look at:
E4ward.com: Seems outdated pherhaps not maintained, in basic version I also could not forward to my mail (only bounce)
Trashmail.com: No on the fly emails
33mail.com: Finally I think the is the best way to go. And you can combine a own domain with a fair price (1$/month).

But no long time experience.

Are there some other good advices out?

Thanks
Duck
Duckjibe

Postby Nuke » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 pm

I had a look at e4ward's website, clicked on "Read more" on the home page, and got "Unable to connect". So that's out of the question.

Burner Mail's home page has a button for "Install Burner Mail for Firefox". Why would I do that? I use an email client. I understand using their website for management of my account, but their adding extensions to my browser is unnecessary and a non-starter.

Most other alternatives use short-lived disposable addresses (eg 10 minutes). That's not the way I have used email. I generally sign up for things with a unique SG address with the default allowed count. If I start getting spam from them I either let it run out the count (ebay don't take long) or I log onto SG and stop it; otherwise I leave the address open as it remains useful if I return for more business. Not all businesses spam you, and I don't want to have (or cannot easily have) a different email address every time I go back to someone like my on-line car spares supplier. With ebay, a champion spammer, if I am buying something I re-open my SG adress with them for the duration of the deal, then close it again until next time.

The ability to make up a new SG email address on the spot (eg in a shop) without having set it up beforehand is invaluable.

Some of these other disposable mail outfits are just too well known (like Guerrilla Mail) or seem to have other give-away domain names - either with "spam" or "trash" in there or use addresses that are obviously machine made . In the early days with SG I used "Spamgourmet" and it often got rejected or at least raised eyebrows. These days I use "recursor" or "xoxy" and no-one has ever heard of those.

I don't think there is any true replacement for SG without paying perhaps a lot of money :-(
Nuke

Postby jim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:42 pm

Nuke wrote:I don't think there is any true replacement for SG without paying perhaps a lot of money :-(

I haven't tried it, but 33mail.com looks like it replicates most of spamgourmet's functionality for $1/month (Duckjibe and others have mentioned this one as well).

However since it looks like spamgourmet will continue operating I plan on staying with spamgourmet for as long as I can.
jim

Postby milkbadger » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Gilla wrote:Also both are missing 1 huge features of spamgormet, the ability for aliases to be created by first email sent using it!

Is there any alternative service that offers this feature? It is the most important feature of spamgourmet for me. I often provide new spamgourmet aliases over the phone, in person, or in writing, at times when I am not near my computer.
milkbadger

Postby jim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 pm

milkbadger wrote:
Gilla wrote:Also both are missing 1 huge features of spamgormet, the ability for aliases to be created by first email sent using it!

Is there any alternative service that offers this feature? It is the most important feature of spamgourmet for me. I often provide new spamgourmet aliases over the phone, in person, or in writing, at times when I am not near my computer.

As I said before I haven't tried them but from https://33mail.com/faq
How do I create an Alias?
Aliases are created automatically the first time an email is sent to them, so you can just make up an alias on the spot and use it when you sign up for a website, and it will be created the first time that website sends an email to it.
jim

Postby jgonggrijp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:57 pm

erine.email has this feature, too. Also, E4ward has a "catch-all" option, which means that addresses are not automatically created, but you can opt in to still have emails forwarded to your real address if sent to an address that "doesn't exist".

I updated the overview in my opening post.
jgonggrijp

Postby lwc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm

jim wrote:However since it looks like spamgourmet will continue operating I plan on staying with spamgourmet for as long as I can.

While this post quite relieved me, it was a bit hesitant.
I really wish someone will just use Spamgourmet's open source code or become the new admin here with enthusiasm and motivation.
Do you think maybe a Kickstarter can take care of that?
lwc

Postby vikasa » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:03 am

I am glad to see that josh has found a willing and able admin to possibly continue running SG. Hope his health improves!

I decided to purchase the 33mail.com $12/year Premium plan and started to gradually convert all my SG aliases over. The performance has been excellent, no complaints so far.
vikasa

Postby lwc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:43 pm

Don't their limits bother you?
A couple of large attachments and you're done. Not to mention even in the most expensive plan "the size limit for attachments is 10M".
Likewise for limiting how many times you're allowed to reply to messages.
Do you know what's "Custom settings"?
In the free plan, do the ads apply to the website or also to the e-mail messages themselves?
Last but not least, do they have eaten log, exclusive senders and counters?
lwc

Postby unitacx » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 pm

by lwc:
Don't their limits bother you? A couple of large attachments and you're done.

That would depend on how they handle over-limit emails. Most of my large attachment come in directly, although I've gotten a few spam-monsters.

by lwc:
Last but not least, do they have eaten log, exclusive senders and counters?

The eaten log is nice because it warns me of potential blocked email. The exclusive senders feature on SG is especially useful, because it allows selectively un-blocking specific notification emails (which have specific addresses, such as "service@xxxx" or "accounts@xxx"), while blocking or limiting other messages. I don't think any of the others really have that.

This all demonstrates how robust and useful SG is. Thanks again, Josh!
unitacx

Postby SG-Fan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:10 am

I look out for alternatives, too. This is my first experience and maybe it is helpfull for others, too.

I need both a new disposable forwarder and a personal domain for forwarding mails. The personal domain is, because the domains of spamgourmet are often blacklisted. So are the domains of other disposable forwarders. I accept a fee, as money hopefully makes services long-lasting and maintained.

I tested these two disposable forwarders and are satisfied with both of them:
E4ward.com
Spamex.com

I personally rejected because of restrictions:
33Email.com
Inbox Alias
GishPuppy

I don't think that any disposable forwarder will adapt to spamgourmet's mail name syntax and deserves to inherit spamgourmet's domains.

Yours,
SG-Fan
SG-Fan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion