Alternatives to spamgourmet

General discussion re sg.

Re: Alternatives to spamgourmet

Postby Duckjibe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi,

yes restriction are not the best.
However the tested services (E4ward, Spamex) asking both for money and have

E4ward.com: Non working Read More site, Dokumentation on version 1.0 and Copyright from 2012
Spamex.com: News site last reply from 2003 and advertising on main page from 2015.

So honestly im not sure if here is everything up to date beside the payment site.

Within 33mail you have forwarded / spam / blocked counter but no number of limiting recieving mails.
An what i will pobably use in future is my own domain because i also figured out some sites who not accepting SG domains.

BUT this is only the option if SG really shut down what I will not hope.
I would much more like to spend my money here.

Regards
Duck
Duckjibe

Postby vikasa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm

lwc wrote:Don't their limits bother you?
A couple of large attachments and you're done. Not to mention even in the most expensive plan "the size limit for attachments is 10M".
Likewise for limiting how many times you're allowed to reply to messages.
Do you know what's "Custom settings"?
In the free plan, do the ads apply to the website or also to the e-mail messages themselves?
Last but not least, do they have eaten log, exclusive senders and counters?

Attachments & replies restrictions are fine for my usage.
No, I don't know what they mean by Custom settings
When I tried the free plan before forking out $12/year, the ads were in the banner/tag and it was a single text line, no images, not too bad. In the Premium plan, the ad goes away and you can adjust the position of the banner (top, bottom, both or none)
No eaten log, simple per-alias forwarded/spam/blocked counter.

As stated by others, SG exclusive sender feature (with regex that too!) is really a SG exclusive, would love to have that but its absence has not bothered me so far.

Thanks
vikasa

Postby Bibi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm

And what i will probably use in future is my own domain because i also figured out some sites who not accepting SG domains.

Did you try all SG domains? One server was refusing all checked domains, I was about to give up as I tried one using the first letters of the alphabet. And this one was accepted.
Bibi

Postby gourmet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Here's one which I've been testing lately, and I've been very happy with it:
https://www.simplelogin.io

They as well as https://trashmail.com also support custom domains, so it's highly unlikely that the domain is being blocked. I've never encountered such a problem.
gourmet

Postby lwc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:49 am

lwc wrote:I fear we're getting a bit off-topic. Can you open a dedicated thread for your service and I'll answer there?
You might also want to have your own forum, but I can see by your notes you might find it too time consuming.

plops, I've sent you a PM in this forum back in October 2019 but it wasn't delivered.
Please check your PMs here so we'll be able to discuss further.
Thanks!
Attachments
pms.png
pms.png (19.71 KiB) Viewed 54521 times
lwc

Postby mUbscom » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:51 pm

plops wrote:I created erine.email, a service inspired by Spamgourmet.
Available As A Service at https://erine.email, or on-premise (install it on your own server) at https://gitlab.com/mdavranche/erine.email.
Free, open-source. Tel me what you think about it!

Nice service, but not really an alternative option at all to me.
I wrote an email to the contact adress in oktober 19 and one again december 19 and didn't even get a response.
If I look at the board/gitlab, it seems that there is no support at all for this service.
sadly. it looks pretty nice.
mUbscom

Postby noOneInParticular » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm

anonaddy.com - It's really cool that this email forwarding service PGP encrypt msgs from the server to the user.
noOneInParticular

Postby r2d2 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:42 pm

Has anybody heard of http://www.yopmail.com/en/
r2d2

Postby noOneInParticular » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:53 pm

r2d2 wrote:Has anybody heard of http://www.yopmail.com/en/

Yopmail is not a relevant replacement for SG because it's not a forwarding service.

Yopmail is also lousy at what it does. It's a disposable email service and it pushes broken CAPTCHAs to Tor users. And if you run google j/s, it pushes a Google CAPTCHA.
noOneInParticular

Postby r2d2 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:41 pm

Ahh. I see. Thanks.
r2d2

Postby lwc » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm

There's a brand new (free) service in town - Firefox Private Relay.

The information about it is very limited, and it probably doesn't help being "experimental, invite-only".

If you got in, please report if it's any good.

For me there's an immediate "disqualifier" here - it can't be used without an add-on, which is a dictatorial move which probably by definition means it's only good for forms.
So probably no reply masking or making up addresses while talking to someone on the phone or on person. I assume no custom aliases either.
Probably also no way to edit existing addresses other than disabling them.

If you're not invited to it, but like code, then you can actually browse its open source.
lwc

Postby r2d2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:32 am

Stumbled on some other alternatives. Haven't looked in depth but wanted to list them here

https://simplelogin.io/
https://anonaddy.com/
r2d2

Postby lwc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:05 am

r2d2 wrote:Stumbled on some other alternatives. Haven't looked in depth but wanted to list them here

All you have to do is copy and paste them into the search bar and you'll see they were already mentioned in this thread:
  1. viewtopic.php?p=8303&hilit=simplelogin.io#p8303
  2. viewtopic.php?p=8317&hilit=anonaddy.com#p8317
In any case, their free plans are what I would call "a demo", i.e. only 15 aliases in one, only 10MB Monthly Bandwidth, no custom aliases (for shared domains) and no replies in the other.

Let's say you agree to pay up. Still feel free to test them if they miss any of Spamgourmet's essential features.
For example, both of them barely offer any domains to choose from, which means you might be blocked in no time. They probably expect you to buy your own domain (and later have it blacklisted!).

You can even test without registering an account as bugmenot.com should contain existing users for both of them.
The first test I would do is can you create aliases via e-mail, as that's one my most used Spamgourmet features (I talk to a rep on the phone and pretend I already have an address with them).
Obviously it can't work in the second service due to the aforementioned limitation.
lwc

Postby jim » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:37 pm

After the great mambernetics scare of 2020 I've decided find a new email alias/forwarding provider. Based on the info others posted here I quickly my search down to 33mail.com and SimpleLogin.

This is a brief review of my research into 33mail and SimpleLogin. Note I didn't look too deeply into 33mail since it quickly became apparent that SimpleLogin (SL) was a better value for my situation. I also have only been using SL for a couple days, so I'm not an expert on their services either.

They both seem very similar to SG (SpamGourmet). If you're ok with 33mail's restrictions at $12/year its Premium plan is very affordable. I would have gone with 33mail's premium plan if I just needed protection for my wife and me. However, since I want to be able to protect my whole family I would've needed to bump up to 33mail's Pro plan which is $60/year. For $30/year I believe SL's Premium plan actually gives you more features than 33mail's $60 Pro plan. In other words, if 33mail's $12 Premium plan is too restrictive for you then SL's $30 Premium is probably the best deal. You can compare their prices and features here:
https://www.33mail.com/pricing
https://simplelogin.io/pricing

As a SG lover I also like to see SL paying respects to spamgourmet.

The most confusing part of using SL for me was wrapping my head around their terminology. I think I have it sorted now. SL directories allow you to auto create aliases similar to SG's automatically created aliases. I.e. SL directories work like SG usernames, but in SG terminology you just flip the order of "someword" and "username" around like this:
To translate from SL to SG terminology:
  • SL directory == SG username
  • SL alias == SG someword
  • SL mailbox == SG protected address
The example above written using SL terminology: directory+alias@simplelogin.co

Note even the SL webpages sometimes also refer to their directories as usernames. SL explains how their directories work here: https://simplelogin.io/blog/alias-directory/

The biggest limitation to SL directories are that they don't currently work with your own custom domain. However they said they hope to have that working in Jan. In the meantime their web browser extensions make it easy for me to create aliases when needed. The SL website also supports importing (and exporting) aliases.

A big bonus to SL's directories is the ability to set a different Mailbox ("protected address" in SG terminology) for each directory. This feature is key to my ability to manage my entire family from a single account.

The last reason I signed up for SL so quickly is that until Mon 30NOV2020 they're offering their premium plan for $15 instead of their normal $30.

After comparing 33mail and SL I did also briefly look at AnonAddy (AA). AA is only $12/year for their Lite plan and their Pro plan is $36/year. However even their Pro plan only allows 4 usernames, I need more usernames than that (SL Premium gives you 50 directories). Because of this limitation I didn't look into AA any more, but according to these two threads on reddit both AA and SL are well liked:

Lastly, since SG and AA have browser extensions that let you easily create new aliases I'm now thinking that the ability to automatically create new aliases on the fly isn't as critical for me anymore. I may instead create a few easy aliases I can give out to people in person (like at a doctor's office), but for any online website use the SL browser extension to create aliases as I need them.
jim

Postby voltage » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 am

Hello,

Since about a year or two, I'm moving to use my own domain name as temporary or disposable email addresses.
It cost me around US$15 a year.

I already have a domain name and order a shared Cpanel hosting account for around US$15 per year.
Then I create a forwarding email address for every service I signup, example: service-name@sub-domain.mydomain.com, go to my real inbox.
If the email got spams, I change the setting into "blackhole:

If you like, you can use a brand new domain name, it cost you around US$10 a year for .com domain name.

Thank you.
voltage

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion