How to close an acount

General discussion re sg.

How to close an acount

Postby emman » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:07 pm

Hiya,
Since my email provider have installed TMDA on my email acount i needn't spamgourmet service anymore, so i would like to know how i can close my acount.
By the way i add that TMDA is a spam-free service which must be installed on the mail server. Tmda asks each user who sends message to you once if they are real user, if they are they'll reply and tmda will add them in a whitelist, if they aren't they must be spam bot and they will be added in a blacklist for which messages won't be deliver to your email acount. Though it's possible to user both spamgourmet and tmda, but i don't use my email adress that much.

Thanks for you to respond, and btw for your great service
( and of cource i told about it to friends ;) )
emman

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:42 am

If your account is destroyed spam that target your "disposed" adresses will now go to your real e-mail adress.

Just add a random prefix on your account and stop using spamgourmet.
Dan

Postby SysKoll » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:08 pm

If your account is destroyed spam that target your "disposed" adresses will now go to your real e-mail adress.

That's not true. If your account is removed, all the emails sent to your disposables will be eaten.

You'll find that there are many, many situations where TMDA is not applicable.

If you want, just stop using your account. Make sure to inform senders of your address change. As Dan suggested, setting a special prefix to your account would prevent any new disposable to be created.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:17 pm

The cleanest way to disable an account is to set the forwarding address to be blank and save it. That's what I do when someone writes me freaking out and wanting their account closed.

Syskoll's right -- all the mail goes to the bit bucket after that.

One thing I can say that TDMA may not work for is signing up for stuff that requires an automated confirmation -- the auto-confirm message for spamgourmet is "from" the info address, so I occasionally get back a challenge email from tdma or a similiar system. I usually try to click on the link in the message, but it if it's one that requires the user to to a captcha challenge, I don't -- because I use pine and lynx and neither show images. Those people are just out of luck unless they think to add info to their whitelists.
josh

Postby Dan » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:57 am

SysKoll wrote:That's not true. If your account is removed, all the emails sent to your disposables will be eaten.

Damn... Sorry, I posted to fast... Of course they aren't going to the real address, they will go to an unexistant account and be eaten....

But the account shouldn't be destroyed but hidden, to prevent another user to register the account and get an unpleasant surprise.
Dan

Postby SysKoll » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:28 pm

But the account shouldn't be destroyed but hidden, to prevent another user to register the account and get an unpleasant surprise.

Absolutely correct. That's the reasoning behind all disposable addresses. You don't "delete" them. You cannot actually remove them from spammers' lists, can you? That's why we offer to hide addresses but not delete them. That's also why there is not provision to delete accounts. Although we might decide to autopurge accounts that have been inactive for a year or so.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion