Not getting emails from Target, HomeDepot, BestBuy

General discussion re sg.

Not getting emails from Target, HomeDepot, BestBuy

Postby bnelson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:01 am

For a while now, I don't get order confirmation emails from Target, Home Depot, and BestBuy. I do sometimes get other emails from them, like promotions, chat transcripts, etc. But order confirmations don't seem to come through. So they are able to send some emails through spamgourmet, but something about the order confirmations gets them lost. I used to get order confirmations from Target and Home Depot. I'm not sure if I ever got emails from BestBuy.

Does anyone else have this issue? My email is hosted on gmail, if that matters.
bnelson

Re: Not getting emails from Target, HomeDepot, BestBuy

Postby lwc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:28 am

Why didn't you post it in Support?

If it's about the weekend, check this topic.
If it's in general, and you've set up exclusive senders instead of remaining messages, check if their order confirmations are sent from another domain. To do that, either:
  1. Fill up the remaining messages and check the subject line for counts.
  2. Enable and check the eaten message log.
If you notice another domain, add it to the exclusive senders using regex, for example (domain1.com|domain2.com) although Josh at one point said brackets are optional since they're added externally anyway.
lwc

Postby josh » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:08 pm

If this has happened in the last day or so, it's probably because our service was down for awhile. We had to get a couple of disk drives replaced. Back up now, so hopefully you'll get everything.

If it's more broad that than, if you don't have "address masking" enabled in advanced mode, it's worth turning that on - this may get past some recent issues that prevent spamgourmet from delivering messages originally sent by senders who have DMARC protection enabled - this could be what's happening.
josh

Postby bnelson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 pm

I saw that the site was down yesterday, but it's been going on for a while. I'm not sure exactly how long this has been happening, but at least 6 months. I tried setting the max to 20 and setting/unsetting exclusive sender, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The remaining count doesn't change even though emails should have been sent. I also tried with and with and without address masking, but the count doesn't change with that either.

I just now tried setting up a new account on target.com with a new watchword, but nothing is showing up for that. Target also sends confirmation email when the address changes, and those aren't coming through either. I don't see the new address in my address listing. (targettest, targettest1, targettest2, etc). I don't see anything from target in my eaten log either. It seems like Target isn't actually sending the emails.

I saw that there might be email backups from the downtime. I'll keep watching my account to see if I eventually get those emails.
bnelson

Postby josh » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:48 pm

strictly speaking, it's not backups -- rather, most SMTP servers will re-try to send if one attempt fails - sometimes they will do that for a couple of days before giving up, but almost all of them will wait at least a day - so much longer than our actual downtime. Because of that SMTP feature, actually losing an email here due to a downtime event is pretty rare (it would have to be on our server getting processed when the power went out or something - even that would probably make it through when the power came back on). I guess a complete drive failure like the one we narrowly avoided just now could result in quite a bit of loss - hmmm.

It may be unconventional, but no backups means lower cost and better security - haha
josh

Postby bnelson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 pm

I talked with Target support, and they are blocking the domain. From the rep:

Virginia: A previous team member did open a ticket with our technical team to see if they could provide more information on the issue and it looks like it's due to your email address. Due to security reasons certain domains are blocked by Target

The rep didn't have any additional information as to what those security concerns were or which domains they were blocking (I was using xoxy.net).

What do they mean by "security concerns"? That sounds like a bogus excuse. I don't know what security concern they could have, or even why they would care what address I specified.
bnelson

Postby josh » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah - doesn't make sense to me -- except if the concern is that you are using too much security for their comfort - haha

Facebook blocked spamgourmet addresses and vaguely said it was because of "abuse" -- I read that to mean that they didn't like it because it made it more difficult for them to abuse you.

Anyway - you can complain - I highly doubt the person you're communicating with knows very much about the situation or has any desire to fix things.

Maybe if we start collecting and selling our user data like the other service providers do, people will stop brushing us off as some undefined threat. [edit - I'm not casting shade at any other service provider that's similar to spamgourmet - I don't know much about them. I'm really talking about Facebook and similarly acting services]

(sorry for the rant - I'm just a little fed up with this after a couple of decades :) )
josh

Postby bnelson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm

I can definitely understand the frustration. For what it's worth, I did ask the rep to forward my concerns higher up. I also told them that their competitors like amazon and walmart don't have this issue and now I'm more likely to shop there. I doubt if anything will change, but who knows.

Thanks for all the help
bnelson

Postby sengsational » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Would a remedy for situations like this come if the user had an unused domain and entered the MX record pointing to 'gourmet.spamgourmet.com' (and of course let the sys ops at spamgourmet know the domain)? [As mentioned in the FAQ "Wow, I have an idle domain..."]

Domains are pretty cheap nowadays, aren't they? If you never intent to use it for anything by spamgourmet, it might be worth it. You could share it with a few of your buddies, but never post it anywhere or it might get into those block lists.
sengsational

Postby Pauli » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 am

I have had the same experience at Target. I placed an order online to pick up in store. Then I didn't get any notification that it had arrived, when I looked into it later, it had been there too long, and the order was canceled. The money was returned to the gift card I had used for the order, which I had thrown out after placing it. So I called customer support, who tried e-mailing me a new one, which didn't arrive. I did get the requests to fill out a customer service survey. Now they say they've credited it to my online account, but I have to wait up to 24 hours for it to appear. We'll see.

I had a similar issue with a credit at Kohl's over a year ago. I ended up losing $60 in "Kohl's Cash".
Pauli

Postby stisev » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:50 am

Target, HomeDepot, BestBuy have blacklisted Spamgourmet.

I've had the same problems. Only solution is to use gmail.
stisev

Postby Whatifi » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am

stisev wrote:Target, HomeDepot, BestBuy have blacklisted Spamgourmet.

I've had the same problems. Only solution is to use gmail.

You mentioned using Gmail to forward to, and mask, your real address. I think I would like to do this, too. How are you doing it? Is it automatic? Why did you need a new, dedicated Gmail account for that sender? Could you use your method to replace Spamgourmet entirely, should it ever become necessary?
Whatifi

Postby stisev » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:48 pm

Yes.

So if your email is

GmailAddress+spamgourmet@gmail.com

anything between the + and @ symbol will be ignored. It's not bulletproof and it's a manual entry to change all of the spamgourmet email addresses, but it's better than nothing.
stisev

Postby goodbyesg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Ironically Home Depot is the first instance I ever had of a "real" company sending me awful spam that clearly indicated that their database had been hacked. When I created my Home Depot account I used a SpamGourmet email address and never used it anywhere else.
goodbyesg

Postby hausgeist » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 am

What would help here are new DNS domains as so far not known alias to mascerade Spamgourmet.
How much donation is needed to secure one for 3-5 years? :mrgreen:
hausgeist

Return to General Discussion