How to reply to an email sent to a SG address?

General discussion re sg.

How to reply to an email sent to a SG address?

Postby pnkn » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

When I reply to an email that has been sent to my spamgourmet email address, my reply shows my "real" email address. Yikes! How do I reply to an email that has been sent to my spamgourmet email address without divulging my real email address? I use iPhone's Mail app, and a Hotmail (...@live.com) email server. I'm not super technical.

Thanks!
pnkn

Re: How to reply to an email sent to a SG address?

Postby lwc » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 am

I was about to ask if you read the FAQ, only to realize it's actually not really explained there! There's a "reply address masking" feature you should turn on. Once you do, any reply you make should hide your address.
Just be aware it will also hide your name, unless you contact the admins to ask otherwise.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Here's how to turn on "reply address masking".
Untitled.png (99.84 KiB) Viewed 43776 times
lwc

Postby Sheygetz » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:14 pm

To take up this lead, what about forwarding an email sent a SG address?

A case I encounter pretty often: I get an email to an SG address sent from one of those malicious no-reply-addresses (Boy, do I hate 'em!). So, if I have any question pertaining to that email I have to forward it to a "reply-permitted" address of that same sender. So, the email came from, say,
check-info.kelen.61ac44dd11.no-reply#wi ... ob.0sg.net
and I want to "reply"/ forward instead to
info@winsim.de
from my SG address check-info.kelen@neverbox.com with my address masked.

How do I go about this? Could I just press "reply" and then substitute the "no-reply" bit in the example with "info"?
Sheygetz

Postby SysKoll » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:21 am

Sheygetz wrote:To take up this lead, what about forwarding an email sent a SG address?

A case I encounter pretty often: I get an email to an SG address sent from one of those malicious no-reply-addresses (Boy, do I hate 'em!). So, if I have any question pertaining to that email I have to forward it to a "reply-permitted" address of that same sender. So, the email came from, say,
check-info.kelen.61ac44dd11.no-reply#wi ... ob.0sg.net
and I want to "reply"/ forward instead to
info@winsim.de
from my SG address check-info.kelen@neverbox.com with my address masked.

How do I go about this? Could I just press "reply" and then substitute the "no-reply" bit in the example with "info"?

No. You'd compose a new email using the address created in the page Advanced Mode > "send a message from one of your spamgourmet addresses". Fill in the sender (check-info.kelen at neverbox.com) and the destination (info at winsim.de).
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby r2d2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Learned something new today. This is good info. Thanks.
r2d2

Postby noOneInParticular » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm

If you use an advanced mail client like Mutt, then you can simply reply from the client. Mutt is smart enough to find your address in the "To:" headers et al (to & cc) and make it the From header on replies. And if you want to use a different SG address in the reply, that's fine too because Mutt gives you the power to freetype whatever you want the From field to be.

Apart from convenience, it also relieves the SG servers of burden.
noOneInParticular

Postby lwc » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm

noOneInParticular wrote:If you use an advanced mail client like Mutt, then you can simply reply from the client.

I know you tried to help, but I strongly suggest to avoid that as the keyword here is "mail client" (BTW, the freemium Pop Peeper can do it too).
You will need mail servers at both sides to respect what is a completely fake from address.
Pretty much every public free server will at the best case scenario block you from sending and at the worst case scenario simply ignore it and revert back to the real from without even telling you![/b]
Last time I tried Gmail did the latter...(unless maybe you manually define it in your account as an allowable from).

But even if your privately paid server lets you do this, we live in the era of SPF, DKIM and DMARC.
Receiving servers will likely at the best case scenario warn your recipients that your messages are fake and unsafe.
At the worst case scenario they'll even put your mail in the recipients' spam folder, possibly mark them as phishing and risk the usage of Spamgourmet for all of us.
lwc

Postby noOneInParticular » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm

lwc wrote:I know you tried to help, but I strongly suggest to avoid that

I have the same advice for you. You're trying to help but your advice only could only proliferate the problem.
lwc wrote:You will need mail servers at both sides to respect what is a completely fake from address.

The sender's side is trivial. There are a variety of ways to stand-up your own server, or to use an email provider that supports external sending addresses.

And BTW, when you call a legit SG address used by that addresses user as a "fake address", you're using the nomenclature of SG adversaries.
lwc wrote:Pretty much every public free server will at the best case scenario block you from sending

Not even close. Some malconfigured servers will block messages with a differing sender address domain and reverse lookup IP, but I've found that a majority do not.
lwc wrote: and at the worst case scenario simply ignore it and revert back to the real from without even telling you![/b]

This is science fiction. The receiving server cannot know your real address if it's not in your headers. Perhaps they could keep past records that can cross-reference IP and address, but that's borderline conspiracy theory.
lwc wrote:Last time I tried Gmail did the latter...(unless maybe you manually define it in your account as an allowable from).

Sure the sending server can do that if it's controlled by a third party. It's your choice what sending server you use. Gmail is sneaky in this regard. It doesn't change your "From:" header, but it embeds your real address in another header. It's stated in their policy that they do it, but still sneaky nonetheless. I strongly suggest not using Gmail. If not for this reason, for all the ethical problems with Google Inc.
lwc wrote:But even if your privately paid server lets you do this, we live in the era of SPF, DKIM and DMARC.
Receiving servers will likely at the best case scenario warn your recipients that your messages are fake and unsafe.

Warnings are fair enough. Recipients naturally must become accustomed to the quality and accuracy of their email provider's filters (as they should). If the quality is bad and the system is untrainable, it's in the recipients interest to change providers.
lwc wrote:At the worst case scenario they'll even put your mail in the recipients' spam folder, possibly mark them as phishing and risk the usage of Spamgourmet for all of us.

Now you're being absurd. When you dance around bad filters it empowers the bad filters and makes you part of the problem. Broken filters need to be identified and either corrected or abandoned. Asking everyone to not send email with an SG address is precisely how you ensure that SG addresses get treated as malicious, if ppl were to take this bad advice. Legitimate users sending legitimate RFC-compliant email, and recipients who correct their filters (e.g. use the "not spam" button) is how you ensure SG addresses get properly treated.

Some receiving side servers are malconfigured and beyond help. In such cases you can choose between dancing for them, or refusing to send mail to them. If you dance for them, you empower them. Both options are lousy but that's reality. I generally tell the recipient to get an email service that works in such cases.
noOneInParticular

Postby lwc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:40 pm

noOneInParticular wrote:
lwc wrote:
lwc wrote:Pretty much every public free server will at the best case scenario block you from sending

lwc wrote: and at the worst case scenario simply ignore it and revert back to the real from without even telling you![/b]

This is science fiction. The receiving server cannot know your real address if it's not in your headers. Perhaps they could keep past records that can cross-reference IP and address, but that's borderline conspiracy theory.

But I wrote "from sending", not "from receiving". If you try sending from a fake address, you obviously give your username and password to the sending server, so they know your real address.
So they can choose to either let you do this, block the sending process or just ignore your fake address and use the real one instead.

I feel messages from spamgourmet and its aliases should be sent directly from them (using reply masking), not by faking them.
I gave you my 2 cents, but you can do what you want. Just know if I'm wrong, you lose nothing since reply masking is always there for you. But if I'm right, you risk us all.
I think josiah will prefer the server load of reply masking over the aforementioned risk.
lwc

Postby xmoddz » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:07 am

I just realized that when you reply the receiver gets it as this: test.xxx@disposableaddress.com
That probably explains why some of our replies go to spam or junk

Why cant test.xxx@spamgourmet.com be the address shown to the receiver when we reply? It confuses them if they send an email to test.xxx@spamgourmet.com and when we reply it goes to them as test.xxx@disposableaddress.com
xmoddz

Postby r2d2 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:35 pm

Go to "click here to edit the appearance of the address"
r2d2

Postby lwc » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:32 pm

xmoddz wrote:I just realized that when you reply the receiver gets it as this: test.xxx@disposableaddress.com
That probably explains why some of our replies go to spam or junk

That explains part of it (it sounds possible some people do constantly use multiple addresses). I think a much bigger part is:
lwc wrote:There's a "reply address masking" feature you should turn on. Once you do, any reply you make should hide your address.
Just be aware it will also hide your name, unless you contact the admins to ask otherwise.
lwc

Return to General Discussion