Managing multiple forwarded addresses

General discussion re sg.

Managing multiple forwarded addresses

Postby vsp » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:12 pm

Hi,

Just an idea for a feature:
Right now one SG login maps to one email address that mail is forwarded to.

How about letting users create "aliases" per login so that they can manage multiple destination email addresses by logging into SG once.
For example, user ID "abc" can have an alias "abc" manage their Hotmail account, alias "abcy" manage their Yahoo account and so on.

This probably requires significant changes to the Web front end, but the changes to the database schema probably won't be that widespread.

Just my 2 cents
vsp

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:44 am

Isn't more simple to simply create one account for each address ?
Dan

Postby josh » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:19 pm

the main brain teaser there is that auto-create would currently only support one address --- you could log in and re-assign particular disposables to alternative forwarding addresses, but when they're created there'd be no way to choose a particular one without adding additional syntax rules.
josh

Postby vsp » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:05 pm

Actually, I was not asking for individual addresses to be mapped to particular forwarding addresses.

I was asking for individual aliases to be mapped to particular forwarding addresses.

That would mean, for example, that
abc.1.xyzH@SG.com would map to my Hotmail address and abc.1.xyzY@SG.com would map to my Yahoo address.
Note that I chose these aliases as an illustration. The actual SG user could choose whatever alias he/she wanted to map to whichever service he/she wanted

So, on address creation if the alias is xyzH, it maps to Hotmail, and if it is xyzY it maps to Yahoo.

The advantage here is that by having only one SG login for one or more aliases, I could have a common set of watchwords for all aliases if I wanted. I wouldn't have to login to a new SG account to manage each alias.

Hope that clarifies what I was asking for. (Note that I mean that only as a "nice to have" request)
vsp

Return to General Discussion