Problem with trusted senders

General discussion re sg.

Problem with trusted senders

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:03 pm

Hello! I added a trusted sender, but the counter is still lowering. I looked at msg source and the From line is something like this:

I added email@email.com, but I think SG don't parse well this type of "From" format.

TIA

Postby SysKoll » Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:27 pm

What do you mean, a changing phrase? Can you please give us more info?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:48 pm

or

the "(reply from xxxx)" is inserted in the "From:" headers, after a static email address (in the example, "your_guestbook@foo.com") that I added to Trusted Senders.

Postby SysKoll » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:35 am

Okay, what mail server are you going through? Putting something between parentheses after the email address is breaking all known email RFCs. I'm surprised that your message doesn't get rejected before it arrives at SG.

I tried that and indeed, I reproduced the problem. I sent an email to an SG account from a trusted sender foo@bar.net and it arrived with the correct tag "(foo@bar.net: trusted sender for your account)". Then I tried to send the same email again, but this time with
and sure enough, the sender wasn't recognized as trusted.

I'm not sure we can call this a bug. Look, you're not allowed to put comments like this in the From field. The only way allowed by the RFC is to put these comments before the address, like this:
That's legal. Whereas
is not legal.

Does that make sense? Can you fix the From field in the sender?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:31 am

Thanks for your reply! The email in question is from www.livejournal.com, sending a email when someone reply a post. I think the best path is look at RFC and fill a bug report to them. I'll do it.

Postby SysKoll » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:38 pm

You can point them to RFC 822 section 4.4. What they need to do is put the "Repy from Jane" string in quote before the <address>. Optionally they can use the Sender: field.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion