Own Domain Service

General discussion re sg.

Own Domain Service

Postby ChrisKraus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16 pm

If someone were to pay a nominal monthly/yearly fee, Could SG offer a hosted SpamGourmet service for someone's own domain.
Example: Instead of disposable-address.username@sg It could be disposable-address@somebody's-domain
Chris
ChrisKraus

Re: Own Domain Service

Postby Jim27106 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:04 am

I believe the source code is on source forge.
Jim27106

Postby Marco2G » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 am

I would love to host my own spamgourmet but I'm afraid the current state of installation instructions will make that remain a dream unless they change in the future.

I see myself as somewhat knowledgeable on Linux now but setting up a mail server was such a hassle that I went for iRedMail and I really don't dare clobbering spamgourmet in there.

I would love for spamgourmet to have a coherent tutorial or better yet an install script but eh....
Marco2G

Postby josh » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:20 pm

We can add your domain to our service for no charge - we've done that a lot. Most of them are unpublished, and that's what we recommend -- once the domain is set up, anyone on the main service can use it, but if it's unpublished, they probably won't know about it. That way if you want to take it out of service later, you can do that without pulling a whole bunch of (other people's) mail over with it.

That said - I can see the appeal of running it yourself. It's certainly not easy to install, but it has been done.
josh

Postby Marco2G » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 am

Hey josh

This seems like an interesting alternative to me. On one hand, it's a matter of whether one trusts the mail relay but frankly, when I decide to use your software, that question's kinda been answered already.

So how would this work? Would I have to buy a domain name and point that MX record to you or, and here my knowledge of DNS is kinda lacking, could I even setup a subdomain on my current domain for this? Would I then have my domain linked to my spamgourmet account or would I access a completely new environment under my subdomain (or dedicated domain as it were)?

We could discuss this in PM if you prefer but I think this might be interesting information to other people as well.
Marco2G

Postby josh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:14 pm

yes - you get a domain name and then set up a MX record for it or a subdomain that matches, say, the MX record for spamgourmet.com.

then you let us know about it privately (email or PM) and we configure the service to accept and process mail for that domain.

At that point, it's functional for your account *and everyone else's account*, but no one knows about it unless someone tells them.

There's really no difference in the user interface on the website, except you start to see the domain show up in the "full address" column in advanced mode I guess.

On the screen where you create a redirection address that allows you to send mail from a disposable address (assuming you don't want to wait for that to happen automatically when someone sends a message to you), you have to type in the domain - it won't show up in the drop list that you can choose from.
josh

Postby SevenD » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:43 am

I like the MX approach as it would be a lot easier than configuring a mail forward. The FAQ only mentions mail forwarding with address rewriting (if I read that correctly). Are there any disadvantages to the MX approach?
SevenD

Postby josh » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 pm

I need to update the FAQ - I'm not sure the rewrite approach ever worked, and it's not something we've even thought about for maybe 15 years
josh

Postby Marco2G » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:26 am

Well, I would love to point a subdomain to spamgourmet, I'm just a little bit wonky on the bind syntax there :D.
Marco2G

Return to General Discussion