Email Address Strategy

General discussion re sg.

Email Address Strategy

Postby Gally » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Can you please advise me setup a reasonable strategy to protect me from spam but still need to have permanent email addresses that I can use with friends. I always find that these eventually get spam and its a bit of a pain to create a new one and tell everybody.

For Companies and websites I create a unique forwarding email address for every site and service I use so that I can delete it should I no longer wish the service or start getting Spam. When I do get spam from one of these forwarding addresses not given to anybody else the Companies concerned tell me it's my problem not theirs, even very large Corporates.

I have several hundred forwarding email addresses on my domain and the only way I could possibly get spam? is for a spammer to target my domain and be lucky to formulate a valid address. This is getting a bit unwieldly with so many sites, services and Companies so I would be grateful for advice on a better note efficient strategy which spam gourmet may become a part.

I have been using Spam gourmet for a number of years, have made a donation to support your work and thank you all for your efforts

However, I am not an expert in the intricacies of email but would like some advice on what strategy to adopt for the future.

Many thanks in anticipation as I am sure other members might also like the same information.
Gally

Re: Email Address Strategy

Postby Nuke » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Gally wrote:Can you please advise me setup a reasonable strategy to protect me from spam but still need to have permanent email addresses that I can use with friends.
I give friends and others I think I can trust a Spamgourmet address, a different one each, and then make them a "Trusted Sender". Then if I start getting spam via one of those addresses I delete them from my "Trusted Sender" list. That might not work if those people somehow get to compare the address they have for you with each other (ie they might wonder why each is different) but companies are unlikely to do that.

Gally wrote:For Companies and websites I create a unique forwarding email address for every site and service I use so that I can delete it should I no longer wish the service or start getting Spam.
You can't delete it. Having given out an email address, even a spamgourmet one, it is in their address book, so you can't delete it unless you were to get hold of their computer. What you can do is demote them from "Trusted Sender" (if they ever were one) and/or edit their remaining message count to zero. You can also hide them in your address list if you don't wish to be reminded of them.

Gally wrote:
When I do get spam from one of these forwarding addresses [they] tell me it's my problem not theirs
Quite.

Gally wrote:I have several hundred forwarding email addresses on my domain
So have I.

Gally wrote: This is getting a bit unwieldly with so many sites, services and Companies so I would be grateful for advice on a better note efficient strategy which spam gourmet may become a part.
I don't undersand what is unwieldy about it. If they are spamming you they will reach their limit and their spam will stop. If you don't like seeing them in your list of addresses, don't look at the list, or flag some as "Hidden". As the home page says, you don't even ever have to come back to this website after you have set up your account. If you give out hundreds of variants of your address, as you and I have, there are inevitably going to be hundreds in the list, each with its set of statistics. Can't help that.
Nuke

Return to General Discussion