Feature Request - "Real Name" on outgoing mail

General discussion re sg.

Feature Request - "Real Name" on outgoing mail

Postby bobd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:41 pm

When I want to send mail and have it relayed through spamgourmet, I'd like it to be sent with the From address in this form: "FirstName LastName <prefix.account@spamgourmet.com>" (for example), where I can somehow specify the FirstName and LastName when I select the address I want it sent "from" (on this screen: https://www.spamgourmet.com/index.pl?my ... ndtoform=1). This becomes important for example on web forums or mail archives where the real name is displayed.

Is this somehow possible today, and I'm just missing it?

If not, please consider adding this. And thank you for a valuable service.

-Bob
bobd

Re: Feature Request - "Real Name" on outgoing mail

Postby josh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:27 pm

It's there, but you can't enable it on the UI, and I'm told it doesn't work very well (works well for me :) ) -- PM me your sg username and I'll turn it on for you.

One reason it may not work well is that the code attempts to *preserve* the name that's in the email before it arrives at the server, and it may be that we're not handling some formats very well, and I'm sure we wouldn't be handling multi-line headers very well.

The "right" way to do it would be to store your name on the server, and then just add it with basically no chance of failure. But.... In the year 2000, we realized that we should try to store as little of our users' personal information on our server as we could, and subsequent legislation concerning protection of personal information in various countries has totally validated that choice -- so we won't do it that way.
josh

Return to General Discussion