Paypal - Merchant emails

General discussion re sg.

Paypal - Merchant emails

Postby vikasa » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:21 pm

I use SG for my Paypal email address. I would like to use paypal.com as the Exclusive sender but what typically happens when choosing the Paypal payment method online is that the merchant ends up getting the Paypal email address and so any order confirmation and shipment notification emails are sent to that address. So if I were to set paypal.com as the Exclusive sender, these merchant emails would get eaten.

How can I have my cake and eat it too? Thanks
vikasa

Re: Paypal - Merchant emails

Postby josh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 am

you may get more cake than you planned to eat, but you can put the 'word' of the address as the exclusive sender, and that matches any incoming mail (except for CC's or BCCs)
josh

Postby vikasa » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Josh - Thanks for replying. Yes, I am aware of the "trick" of using the 'word' as the exclusive sender to match any incoming email but can you clarify what you mean by the last part 'except for CCs or BCCs'? Thanks
vikasa

Postby mn200 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 pm

The other problem with this is that every merchant ends up using your paypal address so that you can't shut them off individually. I guess you can just change the core paypal address periodically though.
mn200

Postby josh » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:35 pm

vikasa wrote:Josh - Thanks for replying. Yes, I am aware of the "trick" of using the 'word' as the exclusive sender to match any incoming email but can you clarify what you mean by the last part 'except for CCs or BCCs'? Thanks

The code doesn't look at the CC or BCC addressees to match - but now that I say that, I realize it doesn't matter anymore since we switched mail servers - in the old days, if a message had a To: address that wasn't yours, but your disposable address was listed in the CC: line (or wasn't listed at all because it was a BCC) then our code wouldn't match it, and the message would decrement, even if you had the "word" in the exclusive sender blank. I'm pretty sure that since we switched to Exim, it was easy to get the delivery address (always the disposable, in our case) from the context, and so we're matching against that.
josh

Return to General Discussion