Apple files disposable email address patent

General discussion re sg.

Apple files disposable email address patent

Postby Fracture » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:32 pm

FYI - this may be of interest to this group.

Prior art? I'm at work, so don't have time to dig in to the article right now.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/13/apple-files-patent-for-automated-disposable-email-addresses-to-help-handle-spam/
Fracture

Re: Apple files disposable email address patent

Postby josh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:52 pm

as you might imagine, we really don't have the budget to challenge a patent :)
josh

Postby jamesd » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

It's worth looking at the page images in the application. Those help to explain what Apple is doing that differs from what SG does, including:

1. No special email address format, is handled out of band via the mail server interface at address creation time.
2. Browser plugin offering to automatically generate and use a disposable address when an email address field is present.

Essentially it's a sort of hosted SG, where the mail host itself tracks whether one of its normal format addresses is disposable or standard and acts accordingly.
jamesd

Postby Jim27106 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:52 am

It looks to me, upon a quick read, that SG would be in violation of this. Ofcourse that would be absurd and in a just world the patent office and courts would tell Apple to get lost.

However, the world of Intellectual Property can be absurd and unjust. Could someone smarter than I read this in detail and see if SG would be at risk? If so, I think I might need to send a letter to the patent office and Apple telling them they are taking a giant step backwards.

Yes, that box to notify me is checked!
Jim27106

Postby JimJamJay » Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

I can prove that i used itunes with a Spamgourmet email back in 2009 if it helps.
JimJamJay

Return to General Discussion