"Today we fight back" banner - is this appropriate?

General discussion re sg.

"Today we fight back" banner - is this appropriate?

Postby VanguardLH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Regardless of whether you (the site admin) are against NSA snooping, it is not appropriate to splay a banner on your web site pages saying "Today we fight back" (some group thinking they can muster enough combatants to fight gov't spying). The banner blocks some of SG's page content until you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page; i.e., the banner overlays some of the page, especially if expanded. The content comes from:

http://d1agz031tafz8n.cloudfront.net/th ... eting=Dear Internet

There is space in the URL before "Internet" which is invalid syntax but too often accepted by sloppy web browsers since special characters, like spaces, are supposed to be ISO encoded. A space character is not allowed (screws up parsing) and should be inserted as the %20 sequence (ISO entity for space character). This forum squashes URLs so remember to append " Internet" (with leading space) to the URL.

I have my anti-virus program (Avast) block the crap because I added a filter in its URL blocker to eliminate any content that are banners.

Maybe spamgourmet.com site got hacked and some advocates shoved a banner in SG's web server pages. Or maybe Spamgourmet is now including 3rd party content as advertising in its web pages which means it cannot control what is that content.
VanguardLH

Re: "Today we fight back" banner - is this appropriate?

Postby josh » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:50 pm

I put that up. It's down now. I don't like snooping, and that seemed like a pretty cool way to get some communication going with legislators.
josh

Return to General Discussion