Address suddenly activated

General discussion re sg.

Address suddenly activated

Postby vikasa » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:28 pm

I am a long-time SG user with 100s of addresses. I take the usual steps to protect my privacy such using AdBlock Plus Easy List+Easy Privacy filters, turning off Google Web History, making all Firefox cookies session-only, doing all Google searches in a Firefox private tab, etc. My SG protected address is a GMail account. I have a SG address to a vacation resort I visited a few years back which I had used to make room reservations and such. It had used up about 5 emails so there were 15 left before SG would eat all emails sent to that address.

Last week, we were in the general vicinity of that resort and I did use Google Maps on my iPhone to navigate to the area. To my surprise, within a few hours, I received a solicitation email on the SG address that was dormant for years! I am curious to understand how this could have worked. I suppose Google sold my location data to some advertising networks but how did the vacation resort connect the dots from there i.e. how was it able to link the Google location data to me and map that to the SG address from years ago and send out the email? Needless to say, I am giving SG the benefit of doubt and ruling out any SG involvement but SG is really the only system that knows that resort.myname@spamgourmet.com maps to a Google account.

Any thoughts?
vikasa

Re: Address suddenly activated

Postby josh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Spooky - I can confirm that we don't have functionality like that in spamgourmet - wow.

I've noticed friend suggestions on facebook for people I had just been in close proximity to when I had the facebook app on my android phone. I took the app off (it also used a lot of battery - probably because it was tracking my every move).
josh

Return to General Discussion