Delivered but not received

General discussion re sg.

Delivered but not received

Postby vikasa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:20 pm

I have a couple of SG addresses which refuse to forward certain emails. They are not expired, the sender is allowed, the Sent count gets incremented yet I don't receive the email at my real address (yes, I checked the spam folder). I contacted the sender and they said that they got back a 250/OK status from SG mail server so their job is done.

I realize that SG is not supposed to be used for critical emails. I am a long time, satisfied SG user and have never had such issues so I was curious to understand, from a technical perspective, the reason that SG drops these emails.

Any ideas? Thanks
vikasa

Re: Delivered but not received

Postby hutchinsfairy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm

I've had this too. I has using a "@spamgourmet.org" address.
hutchinsfairy

Postby josh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:20 pm

there's a bug that we've been trying to identify and fix for a long time (and I thought it was fixed) - try turning off reply address masking (and don't send any emails during this period) to see if it changes. If it does, then that's the bug.
josh

Postby John » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:17 pm

I've been a long time user also, and just recently started experiencing this. It seems that it's related to certain keywords used in email addresses. I noticed recently that 3 addresses created that start with a keyword of "apb" fail. They all seem to receive email but then they don't forward it on. First I tried a keyword of "apb" and that failed. Then I tried "apbn" and "apbb" and both those failed too. Their stats show they sent mails, but they are never received by my forward to email.
John

Postby John » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 am

Forgot to mention other emails on the same account are working fine. Also this doesn't appear to be the reply masking or watch words bug, all options are turned off and always have been. I'm forwarding to gmail.
John

Postby John » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:57 am

After tinkering around, I found that the apb keyword address was working fine, it was only the apbn and apbb, which were created after the apb that were not delivering mail. However, after adding in the expected sent from domain as an exclusive sender, both the apbn and apbb addresses began working.

So it does seem there is some kind of glitch when creating emails that begin with the same characters. Yet, creating an exclusive sender for such addresses seems to make them function correctly.

Strange.
John

Postby SysKoll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 am

John,

Send me a PM with the exact account name and the exact email addresses where you had that problem. It looks like a problem with the contents of the DB -- maybe some counter incorrectly set?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby ifelsethen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 am

I've been experiencing this problem very regularly and it is killing me, after years of flawless service i had put more faith in spamgourmet than i should have. Ill be PMing you SysKoll, its happening on a few of my keywords that ive noticed, who knows how many others :(
ifelsethen

Postby ifelsethen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 am

bumping this. this bug or db issue or whatever it is, sucks.

not seeing anything new in this thread, and not getting a reply from the person who said they would look into it sucks more.
maybe this bump will bring some attention to this problem?
ifelsethen

Postby theunbob » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:14 am

Add me to the list of disgruntled SG users. I've been a long-time user (at least 5 or 6 years) and all was well until recently - like in the past month or so.

Just now cannot get mail forwarded by SG to TigerDirect.com. They send mail to the SG address I specified (ie, td.fred@spamgourmet.com) but I never receive it in my inbox.

I realize SG is a free service so I can't demand a refund but if this glitch is not fixed I'll have to find another solution. Good luck finding and fixing the problem.
theunbob

Postby theunbob » Thu May 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Unfortunately with regard to SG, I have concluded it is time to move on. The OP reported this problem back in Dec 2012 and as of now it has not been fixed and probably never will be fixed. SG is no longer a viable reliable solution to controlling spam. I will never use a SG disposable address again.

I suggest we begin a thread on this forum listing SG alternatives so we all can get off SG and move on.

Good luck to all SG users.
theunbob

Postby josh » Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm

just fixed a bug with multi-line headers that may explain the issue. If you're still here :) and you have a means to test, please try again.
josh

Postby ragingdragon » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I'd like to make a post in SG's defence to the future readers of this thread.

No service is flawless. A while back I was experimenting with 3 to 4 different disposable email service providers. None of them were flawless, and each forwarded some mail that the others wouldn't. I'm not sure why it happened but whichever service you go to, you are going to have a problem, paid or free. After enough experimenting, I've settled on sg, and don't think a few tiny issues from a small subset is going to turn me away, especially since we atleast get an interaction with the admin here, and since I know that a problem is impossible to fix unless he can figure where exactly the problem is, which is not always easy.
ragingdragon

Postby ifelsethen » Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 pm

ragingdragon wrote:I'd like to make a post in SG's defence to the future readers of this thread.

No service is flawless. A while back I was experimenting with 3 to 4 different disposable email service providers. None of them were flawless, and each forwarded some mail that the others wouldn't. I'm not sure why it happened but whichever service you go to, you are going to have a problem, paid or free. After enough experimenting, I've settled on sg, and don't think a few tiny issues from a small subset is going to turn me away, especially since we atleast get an interaction with the admin here, and since I know that a problem is impossible to fix unless he can figure where exactly the problem is, which is not always easy.

ragingdragon i think everyone understands what you explained. again, we are long time users of this service, and appreciate it dearly. as i stated, yes in hindsight i now realize it was a mistake to rely heavily upon this service, but up until recently it performed FLAWLESSLY, definitely a complement and a big thanks to SG crew for the idea and the free service.

the issue that i have with your last statement is, while true, there WERE users attempting to help debug and provide insight on problem aliases, to which we were promised assistance by SysKoll and our PM's and posts in this thread were not even replied to, much less investigated.

Josh... i will try and test with my problem aliases and get back to you and all of the users in this thread! hopefully with good news!!
ifelsethen

Postby ifelsethen » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 pm

ITS WORKING!!!!

Josh you kick ass. A small donation is incoming!

Paid to
sgpp.josh@spamgourmet.com

And now you'll be sure to get the forwarded email!!! :)

Thank you so much!
ifelsethen

Return to General Discussion