Feature Suggestions -- Auto-Set Exclusives & Remote Control

General discussion re sg.

Feature Suggestions -- Auto-Set Exclusives & Remote Control

Postby macgregor » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

I mean to type a concise posting here and ended up writing a book. Key points / important parts in This nifty color and bold underline. potentially funny, entertaining or worthwhile reading in just regular old "this style". I'll at least try to make you laugh. More than some people can say.

Hey -- I'm not sure if anyone else uses the service in the same way I do -- so this may be a lame suggestion -- but effectively, I use this service as a "Permanent Probationary Period' for all new things I sign up for -- and in general I use the website domain or the company name as the beginning of the address. Effectively, by setting up these addresses I'm saying "Hey, SiteFu. I *probably* am not going to mind emails from you for the most part, but if you *dare* sell my address to someone else, not only will I know it, but I'll throw some major stink-eye in your direction and potentially even start tossing poo your way via telling the world about it on both internets, right after I go and disable that address. So if you send me stuff from SiteFu.com, that's fine until I say it's not."

I also *always* place a number in the mail account, just so I can always get really close if not hit the nail on the head if I had to guess what email address I used to sign up for Site-fu or service-bar. For example, for sitefu.com I would have used sitefu.5.myuser@spamgourmet.com -- and I can always guess that because I have a standard way of creating the messages.

(By the way -- BRILLIANT service -- I <3 you folks. mean it. looking you in the eye. pointing. you. mean it. love you. [creepy pause]. OK! moving on.)

I'm not sure why it seems like such a pain in the rump to keep logging in to update / refresh the number of remaining emails for my addresses... for whatever reason the additional step required to go check my mail, look at the domain and address from whence the emails are coming just to make sure that I'm specifying the exclusive sender correctly is prohibitive to my actually doing it -- so most times I end up not setting up exclusive senders.

The issue (and admittedly, a luxury problem here, so -- ya know, sue me for laziness) is that (as you can probably tell, I've got *serious* ADD.

[squirrel!]

what was I saying? oh. Yeah. so. Serious ADD -- and I forget and have to reset my passwords ALL the time. Some sites almost EVERY time I go to them -- like for whatever reason, I cannot for the LIFE of me remember my Evernote password -- no matter how many times I reset it. In particular those sites who do not allow me to use "any of my past 5" passwords and things like that -- they get major stink eye from me. So I'm constantly having to reset passwords. Combine that with a company that likes to send out a lot of marketing materials and a long-ish relationship with them -- and I end up going through this process at least once a day:

1. Go to log into an app or a site,
2. Fail.
3. Hit the "Forgot your password?" link and trying a few potential email addresses under which my account *might* have been set up... and I'll type in the address I probably used with spamgourmet [somesite.5.myuser@spamgourmet.com]
4. They'll send me an email.
5. Fail.
6. I Figure out that dammit, they've used up their 5 emails already and I have to log into spamgourmet and reset the number "remaining" to something,
7. Go *back* to the app, click "forgot my password" again and wait for the email to arrive.

Needless to say, these are not the "Seven Habits of Highly Successful People. It's arduous to say the least and I forget at least one and usually more like three passwords per day.

I've been using SG for a pretty long-ish time (for me, for whom inconsistency is the most consistent thing about me) and the only two things I can come up with that would be super-neato-keen for me that aren't already included would be if I could --
1) Upon address creation the system would -or- I could via a simple methodology use something to specify that I wanted a portion of the email address I've just created to be used to create an exclusive sender, and the second thing is a way to nuke an address remotely / without logging in to spamgourmet
which you yourself admit is particularly lo-fi looking and frankly, I'm embarrasse to allow anyone to see me using. Kidding. it's just that the number of extra clicks i have to have in my life gets prohibitive to me actually using stuff and I find myself sighing sometimes at "Gee, if I use a spamgourmet address here I'm going to have to keep updating the number of allowed emails OR go through the process of figuring out the right exclusive sender. As to the first feature suggestion, I can think of two ways of doing this:

[list=]
[*]Checkbox in Advanced settings saying "automatically set up exclusive senders by (checkbox)domain or (checkbox)specific sender[/*]
[*]This way, when I specify sitefu.5.myuser@spamgourmet.com the system would just always take the domain and TLD of the very first email it receives to that new address and turn it into an exclusive sender (i.e. sitefu.com or sitefu.org wherever the mail came from)[/*],
[*]or[/*]
[*]The system would take the specific sender of the very first email it receives to that address and make that an exclusive sender (i.e. "thecheckisinthemailandwewon'tspamyou@sitefu.com" would be a specific address. I figure most people would choose domain and TLD level stuff, but you never know I can think of certain services that where one might want to *only* have the actual first email address be the exclusive sender.
[*]Use of wildcards and / or symbols in the address upon creation that get stripped by the system before putting the address into service (in all likelihood this is just my overly complicated brain making things overly complicated to prove how creative I am and show you the propeller on my beanie ... and really needn't even be read because Occam's Razor says the first option up there is probably the right one. Just sayin'.)[/*]
[*]I could leave my options open in settings, not have it be a binary thing but something I could use on the fly by using some other ASCII characters allowed in RFC 5322 or RFC 6531i.e. sitefu.!.myuser@spamgourmet.com would allow the domain.tld of the first email through to that address to be set as exclusive sender or sitefu.#.myuser@spamgourmet.com would set the specific sender of the first eamil through the system as the exclusive sender and I'd probably have about a fifty-fifty chance of guessing the email address to use for login by picking a bang or hash as the mid-part when logging in.
[/list]

[MacGregor goes on... loses 50% or more of readers at this point, antique Victrola in the distance starts playing a very scratchy rendition of "The Blue Danube Waltz" and we hear an elderly person say "LEAVE ME ALONE!" and it echoes through the halls of the insane asylum]

Better yet, there could be a whole slew of features that could easily be implemented by using the following method:
If I were to send an email from my protected address to the system to set up a new disposable address, I could specify the to-be-created new disposable address in the CC field, and in the subject field specify some switches and or commands like

+Exclusive:sitefu.com [whatever came after "exclusive:" would be set as exclusive sender]
+20 [any plus sign followed by a number would reset "remaining" to that number (so +0 would shut down the address)
+kill, + annihilate, +explode, +death, +throwpoo etc. would effectively kill the address (or in the case of +throwpoo alternatively send an email to "Anonymous" asking that the entire world begin a merciless denial of service attack on said domain as they have spammed me one too many times and I'm done. Ok, that might be a bit much. I'm thinking of Redbox right now. Please respond with who you were thinking of. Just sayin'.

Since these would only work if sent to [address].something.myuser@sgdomain.tld from my protected address it could work as a way to handle almost all features of SG for any of my disposables ... and it would work remotely.

Anyway -- I *might* have forgotten my meds today -- and those features may all seem like they are much more handy and brilliant to me much more than they do to you... and if so, thanks for listening -- I pay my therapist a lot of money, but missed my appointment this week... you can send an invoice to paymebecauseIcantgetthosetenminutesback.20.macgregor@spamgourmet and I'll consider your plea if you try to al least be funny about your request. I like funny. If you put +throwpoo in the subject, it probably won't work yet, and I might get my feelings hurt.

LONG LIVE SCOTLAND! JUST NOT WITH ME IN IT.

-Mac
As Robert Burns said:
"A Man's A Man For A' That."
[cue bagpipes] :-) ;-) :-P
We only owe them our best. --Frank Sinatra
Robbert Forbes MacGregor
macgregor

Re: Feature Suggestions -- Auto-Set Exclusives & Remote Cont

Postby josh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm

> I'm not sure why it seems like such a pain in the rump to keep logging in to update / refresh the number of remaining emails for my addresses...

That's a total pain in the rump - ideally, you never go to the dated, clunky site at all.

I read most of your post -- have you tried using addresses like:

someword.+.username@spamgourmet.com (which automatically sets up a trusted sender with the full "From:" address of the first message)

or:

somword.*.username@spamgourmet.com (which automatically sets up a trusted sender with the domain of the "From:" address of the first message)

?
josh

Return to General Discussion