Can't stop messages getting through

General discussion re sg.

Can't stop messages getting through

Postby VS » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm getting spammed across a range of my SG addresses. Its clearly some spambot out there that has captured some of my prior addresses from companies that sold my addresses.

I've set the remaining messages to "0" and I've set an exclusive sender. Never the less, I still get messages through these addresses. What am I missing here? How can I stop these messages from getting through?

15,795 forwarded, 200,161 eaten. You have 593 disposable address(es). ThanX SG!
VS

Postby pblinks » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm

If the address remaining message count is 0, that address cannot be forwarding any messages to you. Did you mean that new addresses are being created by the spambot?

This has been documented several times, for example when a spambot for severs the addresses; sending a message to (e.g. HISISATEST.SPAMCOWBOY@SPAMGOURMET.COM), creating a new address from a user's existing captured address (e.g. THISISATEST.SPAMCOWBOY@SPAMGOURMET.COM).

It is worth to note that this has never been seen done on pourpose, but because of the spambots' buggy software.

If this is what is happening to you, you need to enable watchwords. If it is not, then we need more data to be able to help.
pblinks

Postby VS » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

ThanX for getting back to me. Yes, I have seen what you described, and I turned on watch words to stop that from happening.

However, the problem I'm describing is as I said. I'm getting messages at "THISISATEST.SPAMCOWBOY@SPAMGOURMET.COM" even though I've set the message count is 0. My only thought was perhaps somehow the "sender" was getting through as one of my trusted senders, as sometimes the messages purport to come from one of those (they clearly don't). I set the exclusive sender because setting the message count to 0 wasn't enough to stop it, but even that seems to not work all the time.

Please let me know what information would be helpful in diagnosing the issue.
VS

Re:

Postby VS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 pm

pblinks wrote:If it is not, then we need more data to be able to help.

The issues continue. Please let me know how to engage with you on this.
VS

Re: Can't stop messages getting through

Postby josh » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:29 pm

do you have any trusted sender? If you have one that is simply 'com' that would allow any sender address ending in '.com' to send to you, which would be a lot, for instance.
josh

Postby VS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 pm

josh wrote:do you have any trusted sender? If you have one that is simply 'com' that would allow any sender address ending in '.com' to send to you, which would be a lot, for instance.

I have many trusted senders, but none as generic as "com". I am getting messages that are clearly spam, but which appear to come from companies I have listed as trusted senders. These emails are addressed to alias addresses which I have set to "0" message count. The problems have picked up again in the past two weeks with messages appearing to come from FedEx, and ADP who are both in my trusted list.

So it appears, the sender is being spoofed, which over rides the 0 message count setting? Let me know how I can send you additional data if you need it.
VS

Postby pblinks » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi there, sorry for not coming back to you. I try to help out, but I seldomly come around here.

VS wrote:So it appears, the sender is being spoofed, which over rides the 0 message count setting?

Simple answer: yes.

That is what trusted senders are for. I believe they can send you e-mail to any spamgourmet address, bypassing most "blockades" available. That is exactly why I don't use them.

Using full addresses (e.g. usersupport@mycomputerprovider.com) as trusted senders might be safer, but of course, less useful (or useful in less situations).

From the FAQ (https://spamgourmet.com/index.pl?printpage=faq.html), bolding added:
Q. Can I specify a trusted sender or domain who will be allowed to send me email at my spamgourmet account?

A. Yes, in advanced mode, just list senders' email addresses or domain names in your setup and these senders will be allowed to send you email using any of your disposables without advancing the count. Of course, if you really trusted a sender, you could just provide your real email address. So here, we're talking about folks you trust to send you email, but don't trust to keep your email address to themselves. This probably includes anyone who uses an email client that is highly susceptible to virus infections, which is, unfortunately, a lot of people.
pblinks

Postby josh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

VS wrote:So it appears, the sender is being spoofed, which over rides the 0 message count setting? Let me know how I can send you additional data if you need it.
All the code does is look at the From: address, yes.
josh

Return to General Discussion