E-mails get eaten on newly created disposable addresses

General discussion re sg.

E-mails get eaten on newly created disposable addresses

Postby habibie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:25 am

For the past two days, I created two new disposable addresses for use to sign up with some forum sites using watchwords. However, incoming e-mail activations from the signed up forums got eaten by SpamGuard. Has anyone had any clue on this?
habibie

Re: E-mails get eaten on newly created disposable addresses

Postby josh » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm

habibie wrote:However, incoming e-mail activations from the signed up forums got eaten by SpamGuard. Has anyone had any clue on this?
SpamGuard?
josh

Re: E-mails get eaten on newly created disposable addresses

Postby habibie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

josh wrote:
habibie wrote:However, incoming e-mail activations from the signed up forums got eaten by SpamGuard. Has anyone had any clue on this?
SpamGuard?
:oops:, I meant SpamGourmet.
habibie

Postby josh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Could it be a watchword mismatch? I know that seems like a dumb question, but I just spent a few weeks with a user who (it turned out) had enabled watchwords, but was attempting to use new addresses that didn't match.
josh

Postby habibie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 am

josh wrote:Could it be a watchword mismatch?
I just re-enabled the watchwords and successfully sent/received e-mails through the newly created disposable e-mail addresses with watchword. I have no idea why they didn't work before and now do work.
habibie

Postby habibie » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 pm

I just created a new disposable e-mail address, i.e. trashmail.us.<account>@spamgourmet.com, using the send a message from one of your disposable addresses option (us is an existing and working watchword). and had no problem to send out an e-mail from the newly created disposable e-mail address. However, when I did a reply from an e-mail account that received the e-mail sent from the newly created disposable e-mail address, the reply e-mail got eaten by SpamGourmet. Perhaps, I will need to wait for several days before I can use the newly created disposable e-mail address. :(
habibie

Postby pblinks » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I see that a long time has passed and no one answered this, so for this user and everyone else having this issue (which appears not to be that common and that indicates most people RTM) I will:

I'd like to clarify that I'm writing this as someone who has used the system quite extensively, and has read all the documentation. I have no knowledge of the sg source code. If I mess up in some part, please let me know.

In this case in particular that you mention the us is being interpreted as a max message count of 20 and not as a watchword.

Watchwords must be included into the "SOMEWORD" (as it is called everywhere in the sg documentation) and not be separated by a period/full stop. Example: with a watchword set to JOHN a correct address would be helloJOHN.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com

Unless you start using a prefix, there can only be a maximum of two periods/full stops in any correct disposable address. Before January 3 2002, this meant that all correct addresses should have two periods in it (and only two periods if I'm not mistaken): the first period is interpreted as separating the "SOMEWORD" from the starting message count, and the second as separating the username. Example: hello.3.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com

According to the FAQ, as of January 3 2002 (and this is where your problem kicks in): "you can use a word instead of a number -- the system will look at the first letter of the word and use its position in the English alphabet as the number" [...] "The limit of 20 still applies, so letters after 'T' will still count as 20. So, now: iam.a.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com will be good for one message - 'a' being the first letter of the English alphabet" [...]

Hence, the U in your us is taken into account as a 20 message count, and not as a watchword.

And as of "sometime later" of January 3 2002: If there is only one period included, it is interpreted as separating your "SOMEWORD" from your username; and the address will use the default number of messages. Example: hello.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com

Source: https://spamgourmet.com/index.pl?printpage=faq.html
pblinks

Return to General Discussion