Keeping trace of eaten mails for free

General discussion re sg.

Keeping trace of eaten mails for free

Postby lebotlan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi all,

Being an happy user of spamgourmet, a suggestion came to my mind (could not find anything related on the forum or in the faq):

Every message that is received by spamgourmet could be first forwarded to a "garbage" mail account, then processed as usual (eaten, or forwarded to a "serious" mail account).

A garbage mail account can be a dedicated gmail account that, (I promise) I will never read, except when I am looking for a given message. In that case, I use the search feature, so that I do not have to read all the spam in the garbage account.

Situations where this forwarding feature could be useful:
- Ooops, I forgot to specify an exclusive sender
- Damn, I forgot to reset the message count to 20 and my airplane-reservation email has been eaten(*)
- Did you really send me this email last month? I could not find anything.

Wouldn't it be nice ?

(*) Authentic, except that I was quick enough to reset the counter before the email was sent.
lebotlan

Postby josh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 pm

lebotlan, the feature exists but is not accessible through the user interface. If you PM me a trash address, I'll plug it in.

I don't see us enabling this feature globally because a) the load on the system for forwarding an email is significantly higher than ignoring it, even if it goes to a valid account, and b) the problem we have with bouncebacks from terminated or "full" accounts is already an issue - this would likely get much worse with any significant number of eaten message accounts.

That said - for anyone hosting their own server, it would be very easy to punch through to the UI.
josh

Return to General Discussion