Am I missing something?

General discussion re sg.

Am I missing something?

Postby Odomus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:40 pm

Did I miss a memo, did the whole system of SG go down? I have tried all the domains, even testing to myself, from one gmail to my SG address, and there is nothing being sent at all.

Is, Gmail blocking all spamgourmet addresses? Are all blacklisted?
Somthing aint right here.

Josh isnt answering his PM's Syskoll either and neither is info.

PLease tell me iam not alone and I havent totally lost the last brain cell please.

-Odomus
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Account creation - File not found - index.pl

Postby tousavelo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Hello,

When trying to create a second account, I get : "File Not Found Firefox can't find the file at http://spamgourmet.com/index.pl.

Hope nothing bad is happening.

Best regards
Olivier

PS: By the way, I haven't received one single email for a spamgourmet domain since the 20/08/2010 which is very unusual. My final target email is also in GMail. I just sent me an email from a non-GMail acount. It has not arrived yet but long delays are not unusual.
tousavelo

Postby Odomus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Oddly really it has been going on since the 11th, slowly shutting down.... one by one.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Postby MarkieMark » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:00 am

it looks as though the mail server was backing up?

sending a message 'from' a spamgourmet address, really from a gmail address, there was no sign of gmail blocking, it simply said delay - spamgourmet mail server not responding

I would have written here quicker, only I had to wait for my spamgourmet mail to turn up to confirm my email address for the forum :D

Now looks as though it's working as normal?
MarkieMark

Saturday through to end of Monday

Postby sg_bbsuser » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:19 am

Hi,

I first noticed it struggle to get things through on Saturday afternoon GMT+12 time (one test message made it through, a couple did not), and by late Saturday nothing was making it. It finally came right a few hours ago, and the backlogged messages have arrived now.

A couple of of my early test messages had timed out and come back as destination unreachable before it came up. Some others said they would retry for a couple of days and have come through now. So at least if someone could not get through, they would know it, and although some mail was delayed, it made it. Really that is the best possible scenario for an event like this.

Glad to have the service backup again as I very much depend on Spam Gourmet. It is a great service and there is nothing that matches it for functionality and convenience.

(As an aside, though the service is generally very reliable, I would be happy to pay a yearly fee to make it bullet proof if there was such an option. Of course, the question is how many users would think that? Perhaps that could be a survey question.)

Much appreciated,
From Mike
sg_bbsuser

Re: Saturday through to end of Monday

Postby Paranoid2000 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:43 pm

sg_bbsuser wrote:(As an aside, though the service is generally very reliable, I would be happy to pay a yearly fee to make it bullet proof if there was such an option...
Seconded - but see this thread.
Paranoid2000

Post Morterm ?

Postby ronbarak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Hello to SG admins,
Now that SG seems to be back to normal, could you publish the beginning of week blockage's Post Mortem results ?
Thanks,
Ron.
ronbarak

Postby info » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:29 pm

what happened was an unscheduled re-boot - I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but it doesn't seem like it'll repeat, followed by me not being around to restart the service when it booted back up.

Sorry for the big interruption - it's primarily my fault.

Josh
info
Site Admin

Postby ronbarak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 pm

info wrote:.., followed by me not being around to restart the service when it booted back up...
Hi Josh,
Ah, I wasn't aware that the service had to be started manually. Any particular reason why the service cannot start automatically after a reboot ?
ronbarak

Repair is well done

Postby SG-Fan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks to Josh for restarting Spamgourmet!

Several of the justified incoming emails to me arrived after a week-end's delay. At least one justified email seems to went astray. Tolerable in a service free of charge.

Josh, my donation today via Paypal is to keep you motivated. I guess SysKoll retreated and you are the only admin.

Who will become the payed admin, who starts an equivalent of spamgourmet and administrates it continuously for decades?
SG-Fan

Postby josh » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:07 pm

Syskoll's still around :)

There are no paid admins, and probably won't ever be at 'spamgourmet.com' - please note that the software is open source, and anyone can install it and set up a service (commercial or otherwise) and I will even help them do it. I've done it before. They can say something like "powered by spamgourmet" or whatever.

Of course, perhaps a commercial service would have a hard time competing with a free spamgourmet.com, but maybe not.

Apologies again, all - I really don't know what took me so long - sometimes I'm on a plane, but not this time.

The reason the service doesn't start automatically is that when we come under an attack that paralyzes the server, we often need a couple of minutes after boot to implement a strategy to thwart the attack prior to switching back on the service - otherwise, the system goes back down immediately after it boots back up, which doesn't work, of course. The attacks have been less frequent recently, but the balance of competing concerns still favors a manual start, in my opinion (even with what just happened :oops: )

oh - and we're a month or two away from completing our first decade (yay!) Service has been operational since mid 2000, but only allowed public sign-ups since Oct. or Nov. I'll have to remember the exact date.
josh

Postby lwc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:59 pm

But why are my e-mails and PMs to you still unread since April? And since 2008 in SysKoll's case.
lwc

Return to General Discussion