[Feature req]2nd forwarding address. An alternative for log

General discussion re sg.

[Feature req]2nd forwarding address. An alternative for log

Postby yuhui » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:34 pm

First thanks for making such a wonderful project.

I came across this idea :idea: today and I wonder if it would be useful.:

For the whole account (or each disposable address), the user can specify a 2nd forwarding address. (Might need a switch on each disposable address).

All messages that are going to be eaten, will be forwarded to this 2nd address instead.

This won't add much burden to the server (as eaten log will). While it should assure paranoid people that no important message gets "eaten" and is gone forever. :)
yuhui

Postby josh » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:43 am

We've actually had the feature pretty much the whole time (on or off for the whole account), but haven't made it accessible through the website for several reasons:

1) it's several times as expensive to forward emails as it is to delete (that is, ignore) them, and we delete 9 out of 10 messages

2) the volume of eaten messages is so great that it tends to cause "mailbox full" problems with the spam address, which further increases load because of the bouncebacks.

That said, I gladly enable the feature for users on a case by case basis -- if you'd like it, send an email to "info"
josh

Postby yuhui » Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:01 am

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Originally I was brainstorming about collecting spam for analysis. And I was wondering if you people are doing so. You get this tremendous spam flow after all.

Now I realize forwarding spams does cost extra bandwidth for you. :)

Anyway, I will consider setting up my own email honeypot for spam collecting. Thanks.
yuhui

Postby takeonenow » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:43 pm

This is actually something that is pretty useful to someone who does not get a ton of spam. Instead of having to keep "resetting" the remaining count, forwarding the "deleted" email provides some measure of convenience.
takeonenow

Postby SysKoll » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:52 pm

I don't think the guys paying for the bandwidt appreciate addresses that forward spam... ISPs don't.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion