how to migrate from mailshell.com

General discussion re sg.

how to migrate from mailshell.com

Postby donnamarie » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:06 am

I've been using mailshell.com as my email program because I like the disposable email address. However, it is an internet based program that I am always logging onto or out of. I would much prefer to use Outlook Express as my email program. Here are my questions:

1. Does spamgourmet.com run as a memory=resident program along with outlook?

2. Can you please describe a migration plan for moving all of my email to outlook, and my mailshell disposable addresses to spamgoutmet.com?

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH!

DonnaMarie
donnamarie

Postby SysKoll » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:13 am

Donnamarie,

Spamgourmet is not a program you download to your machine. It's a site that provides disposable email adresses. Read the little blurb on the "no-brainer" mode page at www.spamgourmet.com.

As for using Outlook, it's the computing equivalent of slashing your arm open and dipping it in raw sewer. DON'T. All the current virus and Trojans target Outlook users. They are tailored to make use of Outlook's unbelievably bad security. Outlook is a virus vector. Use it and your PC will get "owned" by perfect strangers.

If you want to use an email client, choose another one such as Pegasus Mail (www.pmail.com), which is free and has little or no security problems. Or use the email portion of Mozilla (www.mozilla.org), which also replaces IE. Anything is safer than Outlook.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:04 pm

outlook is pretty scary -- I admit that I do use it at work (we all do), and we have full time administrators who (so far) keep things safe. Spamgourmet works perfectly well with outlook, as it does any other mail reader program -- it doesn't do virus checking, though, so be warned that by using outlook, you may be exposing yourself to dangers that you don't currently have to worry about.

As Syskoll pointed out, there's no software to install for spamgourmet, and it's entirely possible to only log into the site once -- to set up your account -- and never have to come back.

If you have disposable addresses from other services that are active, the best way to "migrate" is to go to each place where you've given one of those addresses, and give a spamgourmet address in its place. -- doesn't sound like too much fun, but it might not be too much trouble, if you don't have too many places to go.
josh

Return to General Discussion