Majordomo mailing lists

General discussion re sg.

Majordomo mailing lists

Postby Bingo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:57 am

Hi all !

I know mailing-lists have already been discussed here, but I can't find a solution to my problem.

I am subscribed to a lot of mailing lists, all of them are managed by Majordomo.

The problem is that when I receive the messages, the senders private address is rewritten by spamgourmet, but not the "To" field, which is the mailing-lists address.
Isn't-it possible for SG to also rewrite this address ?
The idea would be something like "rewrite all email addresses that will be included when I 'Reply to all'".
Is this possible ?

Also, I notice that I cannot send emails to these lists. I use the advanced feature to "send an email from my disposable address", I chose the right address and enter the list's address, the email is sent OK but nothing comes in the list.
I double checked the list settings, and I have asked to "receive my own emails", do I don't understand what's worng here...
Any idea ?

Thanks for your help.
Bingo

Postby josh » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:16 pm

re-writing the To: address is a tough one, since it's rarely the one you want to reply to (and usually it's your spamgourmet address). Have to think about that.

As for the problem of sending, that's normally not an issue -- what's the domain of the email address you're trying to send to? I can check and see if it's rejecting mail from our server. Sometimes that happens.
josh

Postby Bingo » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:24 pm

Indeed, I agree that it is strange to rewrite the "to" field.
The real point is to rewrite the fields that will be included in the "reply to all" email in fact. I don't know if this "reply to all" is a standard implementation or if is specific to the MTA.

About the domain, I think it happened on both lists.osgeo.org and postgis.refractions.net
Bingo

Postby Bingo » Wed May 20, 2009 9:16 am

Back on that point.
What about rewriting the "CC" and "BCC" fields too ?

The purpose would still to be able to "reply to all" from a spamgourmet address.

That would make spamgourmet perfect for mailing lists. As of now, the problem is that only the original sender's address is rewritten, not the CC'ed or "To" fields, so every time I want to answer to a mailing-list message, I have to build a custom address for this by going the the spamgourmet's 'advanced ' webpage.
That is really unpractical, so I almost never reply to mailing-lists anymore.

Thanks again
Bingo

Return to General Discussion