Email address when registering at bbs.spamgourmet.com

General discussion re sg.

Email address when registering at bbs.spamgourmet.com

Postby phule » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Why, when registering at bbs.spamgourmet.com, was I not allowed to use my favorite domain name dfgh.net for my email address? I had to use spamgourmet.com instead.
phule
phule

Postby josh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 pm

I made a change to the bbs code to essentially whitelist domains instead of blacklisting them (by reversing the logic in a comparison statement) -- for whatever reason, the change doesn't allow me to whitelist multiple domains patterns, so only spamgourmet.com/net/org/info will work (the match pattern is 'spamgourmet').

I could write more code and probably fix the problem, but it's something that would have to be carefully patched in each time we upgrade the bbs code (as opposed to simply changing a == to != or whatever it was), so I haven't done it.
josh

Postby josh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 pm

but, at least I can say that the change has *completely ended* forum spam! :D - thanks for bearing with me
josh

Postby phule » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:32 pm

josh wrote:I made a change to the bbs code to essentially whitelist domains instead of blacklisting them (by reversing the logic in a comparison statement) -- for whatever reason, the change doesn't allow me to whitelist multiple domains patterns, so only spamgourmet.com/net/org/info will work (the match pattern is 'spamgourmet').

I could write more code and probably fix the problem, but it's something that would have to be carefully patched in each time we upgrade the bbs code (as opposed to simply changing a == to != or whatever it was), so I haven't done it.

I was just curious why just spamgourmet.com domain. But as long it cuts down on the spam, GREAT!

BTW, would the website http://www.spamspan.com/ be any help in fighting aspam?
phule
phule

Postby josh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:21 pm

spamspan looks cool -- I haven't used it yet, but I did feature it in the "news" for spamgourmet on May 17, 2006.

Have you used it?
josh

Postby phule » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm

josh wrote:spamspan looks cool -- I haven't used it yet, but I did feature it in the "news" for spamgourmet on May 17, 2006.

Have you used it?

I haven't used it myself. I remember reading about it somewhere (probably slashdot) and bookmarked it for future reference.
phule
phule

Return to General Discussion