Suggestion: make it easy to send an email from a sg address

General discussion re sg.

Suggestion: make it easy to send an email from a sg address

Postby unclecol » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm

How about setting up an inbox (e.g. pleaseforward at spamgourmet.com) for emails that are to be sent from an sg address? You could define rules for e.g. the first two lines of the body to specify where it should go to and where it should come from. This would avoid having to log into the website, the copying and pasting etc. Any problems with the 'to' or 'from' and the mail could be returned to inform the sender.
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but i did do a quick search... nevertheless, I'll indulge myself with a :idea: :D
unclecol

Postby josh » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Sending a message is difficult on purpose -- this is to prevent a spammer from signing up for a spamgourmet account, and then using our server to send out a bunch of spam (that would be undesirable)

I *think* we're the only disposable address provider that facilitates sending messages at all (but I'm probably wrong, because there are so many now)
josh

Postby gourmet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:35 am

josh wrote:I *think* we're the only disposable address provider that facilitates sending messages at all (but I'm probably wrong, because there are so many now)

You're wrong.

http://www.trashmail.net/

Works like magic it's lightning fast. No several hour delays or lost emails on delivery. And you can freely pick addresses. Set forwarding qty and account life span. Also unlimited account life span is possible (just extend it every 6 months).
gourmet

Postby unclecol » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:52 am

Cheers for the reply. Could you not just provide the functionality and limit each user to one message every minute or so? Or to 10 messages per day? That would be plenty for my needs at least...
unclecol

Postby mysticturner » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 pm

I've put forth a suggestion for a Thunderbird extension to help out with that but I've never had the time to investigate how to build one. When you press send, Thunderbird would examine all the TO: addresses looking to see if you are sending to a non-SG routed address. If it found one, a window would pop up asking what address you want this to be from. Then it would replace the non-SG addresses with SG routed ones.

The idea gets a little complicated when you start to add the functionality for multiple SG userids and automatic updates from the SG site for the current address lists, but I think it would be a pretty cool idea. The reason I login most to SG is to generate a SG TO: address and this would eliminate it.

But alas, I have a job that keeps me busy and no one has stepped up to implement the idea, so.... time marches on....
mysticturner

Send email from disposable address

Postby nick4mony » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:09 pm

mysticturner wrote:I've put forth a suggestion for a Thunderbird extension ... it would replace the non-SG addresses with SG routed ones.

The idea gets a little complicated when you start to add the functionality for multiple SG userids...

It also gets complex if you're using webmail (Yahoo/Gmail) rather than Thunderbird (or any other local client). I use Yahoo. It gets a bit hard to make a plugin to sniff the traffic between the browser and a webmail setup.

My point is the current system works for 99.999% of the users. It may not be convenient, but it works (just like waiting 15 minutes for a bus is not convenient, but it "works" for everyone, including the unlicensed).

Nick.
nick4mony

Re: Send email from disposable address - PACKET HAM RADIO

Postby nick4mony » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:47 pm

nick4mony wrote:the current system works for 99.999% of the users.

Brief note about the other 0.001%

I am told a few people use IP packets over ham radio. This is very high latency (seconds to minutes), and while email is fine, web is unusable. It is possible to allow people in those circumstances to "craft an email" to pleaseforwardme curly spamgourmet.com

I'll leave it to Josh & Co to decide their action plan if/when they receive a request from such a subscriber (or other technical systems with high latency), and whether they want to (pre-)develop such functionality.

Another option is for a user to send a crafted email to a particular address, and receive a reply from that address that contains the result (ie the email address to use).

Let me emphasise access to this functionality would be by human approval only, with a target audience of about 10.

N.
nick4mony

Re: Suggestion: make it easy to send an email from a sg addr

Postby SysKoll » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:28 pm

unclecol wrote:How about setting up an inbox (e.g. pleaseforward at spamgourmet.com) for emails that are to be sent from an sg address? You could define rules for e.g. the first two lines of the body to specify where it should go to and where it should come from. This would avoid having to log into the website, the copying and pasting etc. Any problems with the 'to' or 'from' and the mail could be returned to inform the sender.
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but i did do a quick search... nevertheless, I'll indulge myself with a :idea: :D

Well, I can think of at least three ways to abuse such a service. It would be a real hassle for everybody from a security standpoint.

The current way to send an email from sg requires the user to be logged on to the web site so at least we have some security.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Re: Send email from disposable address

Postby mysticturner » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:46 pm

nick4mony wrote:
mysticturner wrote:I've put forth a suggestion for a Thunderbird extension ... it would replace the non-SG addresses with SG routed ones.

The idea gets a little complicated when you start to add the functionality for multiple SG userids...

It also gets complex if you're using webmail (Yahoo/Gmail) rather than Thunderbird (or any other local client). I use Yahoo. It gets a bit hard to make a plugin to sniff the traffic between the browser and a webmail setup.

My point is the current system works for 99.999% of the users. It may not be convenient, but it works (just like waiting 15 minutes for a bus is not convenient, but it "works" for everyone, including the unlicensed).

Nick.
The extension I've discussed would be for a local client package like Thunderbird (or if you were really masochistic, Outlook). I hadn't considered the possiblity of some kind of interface that rides on top of Firefox or exporer. Possible I suppose.

But in either case, I haven't undertaken the effort because, as you say, it may be a bit inconvinent, but it 'works for me'.
mysticturner

Return to General Discussion