Reply address masking using xoxy.net

General discussion re sg.

Reply address masking using xoxy.net

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:17 am

If this is covered elsewhere in the forums or spamgourmet web site, I apologize; I can't find it.

I give out my spamgourmet addresses using the xoxy.net domain. Several entities with which I've used a spamgourmet address have later told me that they thought I was joking and therefore never replied to me.

However, when a message is relayed to me through spamgourmet, it comes with a spamgourmet address; not the xoxy.net address I'd specified. For many good and obvious reasons, I'd like it to come using the exact address I'd specified.

How hard would it be to make the address masking and relaying work like this:

:: message comes in to spamgourmet
:: read incoming TO address
:: IF incoming TO address includes 'xoxy.net'
:::: THEN forward/relay using xoxy.net as address
:: ELSE IF incoming TO address includes [other spamgourmet aliases]
:::: THEN forward/relay using [other alias] as address (etc. for each possible spamgourmet alias...)
:: ELSE forward/relay using spamgourmet.com as address

From my ignorant distance, this would be easy to implement, and would make a big positive improvement in spamgourmet's service.

Not the first time...

Postby SysKoll » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:56 am

This is a feature that has been requested several times, actually, so you're not alone. We'll keep it in mind. Thanks!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:42 pm

I suck -- this used to work, but it seems like it doesn't now. I'll look at it today.
josh

Postby josh » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:15 pm

OK - I'm having a hard time reproducing this -- here's what I did.

I sent a message from a yahoo email address (using their webmail site) to a disposable address for me:

testfromyahoo2.3.josh@xoxy.net

I received the message - I use reply address masking, so it was "from"

Josiah Hamilton - [myyahooid]@yahoo.com" <+testfromyahoo2+josh+93c1bcf6d8.[myyahooid]#yahoo.com@spamgourmet.com

that spamgourmet.com is OK - it will merely redirect my reply back through the spamgourmet server. I replied, and I receive the reply at yahoo, apparently from:

testfromyahoo2.3.josh@xoxy.net

- it preserved the xoxy.net domain in the from address substitution.

I tried the same thing with a new disposable, but used CC instead of to - from yahoo, and got the same result.

Did I miss the point? If not, are you getting different results?
josh

Postby 147tim » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:27 pm

Hi Josh and thanks. I was the original poster in this thread; I'd thought that because I'd logged in on the spamgourmet web site I was also logged on the board.

Anyway, yes, I checked myself and see that if I use an xoxy.net address, that's what shows up in the TO field in the other party's email program if I send them a message.

BUT... here's what else they see in my reply:

--- "My Name - xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com"
<+shorttest+SGSGSGSGSGSG+521ac59302.xxxxx#xxxxxxxxx@spamgourmet.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a test
>
>

where I've x'ed out my own information and SGSGSGSGSGSG is my spamgourmet username. I've bolded the part that I don't like - the reference to spamgourmet.

I'm having trouble saying this clearly; please excuse. But even though the TO field in the header is as I'd like, I'd also like to see xoxy.net appearing (rather than spamgourmet.com) in the references to my email address that appear within a message when I'm replying.

That is:

"user name - address@foo.com" <+[all that spamgourmet stuff]@xoxy.net>

instead of

"user name - address@foo.com" <+[all that spamgourmet stuff]@spamgourmet.com>

I don't know if it's possible to omit all references to spamgourmet.com in the header fields that are usually defaulted to invisible for recipients. But certainly, I'd like no mention of spamgourmet in the actual message bodies.

I am sorry. I'll quit babbling. Ask me for clarification if this can't be understood. I'm doing a bad job here.[/b]
147tim

Return to General Discussion