SG BBS Harvested....

General discussion re sg.

SG BBS Harvested....

Postby Odomus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Well I didnt know how to word the title...
But for the first time actually, Josh your BBS here ... was Harvested... Only reason why I know this, is because I used a SG address in the BBS on here, just incase for saftey and such.
And well... oddly enough I got sent spam... Since I use only 1 email for here. AS does prob everyone who uses SG 1 email per service... i did the same... so I know exactly who it came from who who they harvested from.

If Josh or SysKoll wants the email I will be happy to foward it with the headers and everything... Just so you ahve future refrence on who does such things.
Or just tell me what to do or mail me a Mail, or PM or whatever... I will be happy to oblidge.
Yes I know I left the 'Always show Email address' on that is so all you guys on here can mail me and get info if needed.
Funny try and do something nice, and I get my butt bitten in the long run *rolls eyes*

Anyways if you guys want info or anything... please just holler I will be glad to help.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Postby SysKoll » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:48 pm

Unless the spam is advertising a known company, there is unfortunately little significance in it. The sender's address is likely a Trojaned Windows machine or a spam haven hosting company.

You can put theaddress bbsadmin.josh@DOMAIN as an exclusive sender for the email you gave to the BBS, this will help filter the spam. where DOMAIN is spamgourmet.com.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Odomus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:16 pm

LOl well it makes no diff to me.... that is what SG is for aint it?

I just thought you might want the Headers or something... I dont know how the system works here and all that jazz... Or if it is any help at all. But hey... still the info of the harvesting even here, just wanted to inform you is all.... that is why I love SG helps out SO much in the spammy spam spam MAUHAHAH!

Love ya guys! Keep up the good work!

*Edit*
Oh yeh SK... if I did do that... then I would be screwed when I need my PW if I forget it... it will be sent to Josh instead of me(yeh I tend to forget my password a lot... yeh yeh yeh laugh at me ya'll i do :P )
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Re: SG BBS Harvested....

Postby Elvey » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Odomus wrote:Well I didnt know how to word the title...
But for the first time actually, Josh your BBS here ... was Harvested... Only reason why I know this, is because I used a SG address in the BBS on here, just incase for saftey and such.
And well... oddly enough I got sent spam...

Yes I know I left the 'Always show Email address' on that is so all you guys on here can mail me and get info if needed. ...

It's not odd at all! You put the address in a place (your profile) where it's readily harvestable by spammers; there's nothing safe about that. It would be odd if it didn't get spammed. It's right there on your profile page:
Code: Select all
"<a href="mailto:BBSGourmet.Odomus@spam"...

There's been no compromise of SG security.
Elvey

Postby josh » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 am

eech - they are on the profile - don't know how to turn that off.

For what it's worth, we run the bbs on a different machine from the main service, and they're totally separate. These bbs's do get cracked every once in awhile, but as you all have observed, there's not much to gain here :)

Odomus wrote:Oh yeh SK... if I did do that... then I would be screwed when I need my PW if I forget it... it will be sent to Josh instead of me(yeh I tend to forget my password a lot... yeh yeh yeh laugh at me ya'll i do :P )
What SK's saying is that you should put that address as the exclusive sender in the main spamgourmet website, and then set the remaining messages to zero - that way, only the bbs will be able to send you messages on it.
josh

Return to General Discussion