Responses via reply address masking not getting through?

General discussion re sg.

Responses via reply address masking not getting through?

Postby lera » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:17 am

On 14 June, I e-mailed Which? by responding to a message sent to me via spamgourmet. I had no response.

On 23 August, I e-mailed Play3000 by responding to a message sent to me via spamgourmet, ditto.

Which? have since responded to a direct e-mail that they have no record of the message via Spamgourmet. I did not receive an automated reply to it, and I did to my second message.

Similarly, when I e-mailed Play3000 directly today, I received an automated reply.

So I suspect the forwarding via spamgourmet is not working, at least for me or for these domains.

cheers
Lera
lera

Postby lera » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 pm

I received a response from the Play3000 message today, so perhaps I'm simply suffering from retailers ignoring my messages...
lera

Postby josh » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes, hard to say. There have been periods where our server has been blacklisted due to false reports from our users, and then servers that subscribe to the blacklists refuse to accept mail from our servers.

When that happens, I'm pretty sure there's a bounce message to the disposable address, which the spamgourmet user would get, *if* there were remaining messages on the address, etc. In these situations, it's hard to say what would happen, though.

This might explain things.

Also, just to give a more-complete-than-is-probably-needed answer, it would be worth pointing out that our server will quietly ignore those redirection addresses if they've been messed with -- this is to prevent a spammer from using our server to send a bunch of spam (horrors!) -- so for example, if I have one like:

+user+word+928f8xidi8.bob#example.com@spamgourmet.com

and that works for sending messages to bob, and I want to send a message to jill, so I take the same address and change it to:

+user+word+928f8xidi8.jill#example.com@spamgourmet.com

then it won't work. I don't figure that's what happened here, but just to be complete...
josh

Return to General Discussion