Hotmail not working

General discussion re sg.

Hotmail not working

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:34 pm

In the past few weeks (since the recent hotmail change) I noticed that my forwarded count has been going up, but I haven't been receiving the e-mails. I've come to suspect that hotmail is discarding the messages, although that doesn't seem possible. The messages aren't in my inbox or my junk mail folder, and I quadruple checked the address spelling (not that it could be that, 'cause of the confirmation e-mail). I've tried using both the spamgourmet and xoxy domains, and they don't get through. However, if I change my address over to a another e-mail address, the messages get forwarded fine. Then when I change it back to hotmail, the messages stop coming.

Another strange thing, is that the confirmation messages (to change the address) come through to hotmail fine. Has anyone experienced any of this?

MC
Mike

Postby ebuleheb » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:42 pm

It looks like Hotmail is discarding your messages as spam. It doesn't have to be put into Junk folder, 'obvious' spam is automatically deleted. The thing different in normal messages compared to confirmations is maybe that they originate from different servers.
ebuleheb

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:28 am

The wierd thing is that my test messages are being discarded, and they don't have anything in them except "testing 1,2,3" or something like that. The only think "spammish" that hotmail could be cueing off of, is the fact that they were routed through spamgourmet or xoxy.net

If that's the case, I would expect everyone to have trouble with forwarding to a hotmail address.

Anyone?
Mike

Postby ebuleheb » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:08 am

Yes, I was saying the same thing. The "different servers" are spamgourmet. I'm now trying what you said. When normal protection is set, spamgourmet messages arrive. When enhanced protection is set, the message is filed into junk folder. The discarding event didn't happen to me.
ebuleheb

Postby josh » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:46 pm

dunno why they'd treat the messages as spammy (is the evil empire behind this ? :) )

Have you tried asking hotmail support?
josh

Postby vellire » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:46 pm

[quote="josh"]dunno why they'd treat the messages as spammy (is the evil empire behind this ? :) )

Have you tried asking hotmail support?[/quote]

Hotmail has always forwarded my sg email to the junk folder. It has never bothered me - most of what I get via sg really is junk. If you select a message, click "not junk," and then select "this is from a mailing list I belong to," mail for that particular disposable address will go to the inbox from then on.
vellire

How about hotmail's "safe list"

Postby 147tim » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:29 pm

Try using the hotmail "safe list"

hotmail : options : mail : junk e-mail protection : safe list

Enter either xoxy.net or spamgoumet.com (or both, or whatever SG domains you pick) and any incoming mail from those domains gets filtered to your inbox.

This handy feature used to be much easier to find in hotmail. It took me 15 minutes to find it today, and I had to resort to using HELP to find it!
147tim

Final resolution

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:36 pm

Well, hotmail's definately killing my messages without letting me know.

I added the domains to my safe list, and they still don't come in. They're not in the trash, or the junk mail, or anything. The messages are forwared from spamgoumet, but disappear into the great unknown.

I know it's not a content based filter, 'cause when I send the same messages through a forwarding service, they show up in hotmail just fine.

I'm confused how the confirmation messages get through. Are they sent from a different mail server, or are the headers spoofed or anything?

Either way, I'm leaving the forwarding on (I'm actually using sneakemail, since I use that anyway) so it's working for me fine. Just wanted to let everyone know.

mC
Mike

Postby SysKoll » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:30 pm

Did you add spamgourmet.com to your safe list?

Several people are reporting problems with Hotmail. As a customer, you should complain to them.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby vsp » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:24 am

I have noticed that with Reply Address Masking turned on at SpamGourmet, Hotmail qualifies any message forwarded from SG as Junk and puts it in my Junk folder.

With Reply Address Masking turned off, Hotmail then puts it in my Inbox if the sender is on my safe list or if the mail is not from a known contatct but is not "spammy"

Hope that helps
vsp

Postby mine's not working! » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:44 pm

hey, my hotmail.com just isnt working period! i cant get into my hotmail e-mail account. i am able to get to hotmail.com...and then the sign in page..but once i try to get into my hotmail e-mail account the bottom of the page just says "done" but the actual page itself is completely blank! i have 16 new e-mails form teh past 2 weeks and i cant check them! its murder!! i cant get into it from internet explorer, i cant get into it from msn messenger, i cant do jack! help me asap! pllleeeaaassee!
-shannon k.
mine's not working!

Postby SysKoll » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:45 pm

Wait... You have trouble with the hotmail web site? I am not sure sg's forum is the proper place to get help. I certainly cannot help you there.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:34 pm

I've still got some gmail invitations, if you're interested :)
josh

Postby Shadowinabox:evil: » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:00 pm

im really annoyed cause i cant get in my hotmail either dont know why but i planned a party for the end of the exams (gcse) and told every one id email them my only chance is to get them some other way :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :?: :?: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
Shadowinabox:evil:

Postby SysKoll » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:29 am

Send me a private message and give me one of your working (non-hotmail?) email address. I'll send you a gmail invitation. That works. And if you wonder why, here is the reason (data courtesy of netcraft.com):

Code: Select all
Netblock owner       Address             OS                     Server
Google Inc.          64.233.161.107      Linux                  GWS/2.1
MS Hotmail           64.4.32.7           Windows Server 2003    Microsoft-IIS/6.0

Any question? :-)
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Next

Return to General Discussion