Hotmail not working

General discussion re sg.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:42 am

I had a computer service customer with hotmail and many problems. Hotmail also changed their website periodically, creating new problems. Like painting a moving car. Resolution to date:

[1]
'Installed' latest version 6.x of Internet Explorer. Eliminated many kinds of freeze-up during email access.

[2]
[Answer two is approximate: I will check the customer's machine and re-post.]
Allowed cookies and minimal scripting from:
msn.com
passport.net
something-passport dot something ?
[check back here or check for yourself]
2 different IP address numbers
[I will post them when I get back to my customer's machine]

[3]
Sometimes things go wrong, then work again. I think it's one of those 'trusted affiliates' with an advert on the msn.com homepage. I THINK msn.com sometimes blocks you until msn.com receives back-door acknowledgement from an affiliate proving you have accepted the affiliate's cookie and run the affiliate's script.

For my customer, trouble comes from the strict scripting limits which I set; for most msn.com visitors, I think there are bugs in whatever scripting is used, especially if my acknowledgment theory is correct.

Two months ago, my customer's hotmail failed miserably, then restored itself. I heard there had been 100k complaints at that same time, from users all over the place.

The real fault lies with those jerks [oops, I mean ill-considered policies :roll: ] at msn, hotmail, and microsloth. Don't make websites that REQUIRE certain versions of browsers, and don't REQUIRE scripting to operate a site [at least provide <no script> alternative HTML on all pages].

Postby SysKoll » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:10 pm

Are you telling us your dayjob is actually to support people who 1. insist on using IE, 2. add insult to the injury by using MSN and Hotmail?

I pity you. On the bright side, your employment is guaranteed. Windows isn't going to stop requiring support anytime soon.

If I were you, I'd install Linux on a random PC and start polishing my sysadmin skills. First, it's relaxing to use a well-engineered system after fighting with MS, and second, it'll keep your skill diversified. Just in case.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Previous

Return to General Discussion