Disable addresses

General discussion re sg.

Disable addresses

Postby desikanr » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:09 am

I use sg a lot and these days and would like to thank you guys for an excellent product.
I would like to know if there is a way to delete addresses and be able to recreate them later. Here is what I am trying to be able to do: I use disposable addresses at specific sites, and typically put in a 2 or 3 email limit, like on an egreeting site for instance. Later when I go back there later to create additional greetings, I would like to be able to reuse the email address again...if I dont remember that I have used up my earlier limit, the emails get bounced and I would like to be able to receive the confirmations! I could use new emails, but then it becomes hard to remember if I have used an email or not!
I guess i am asking for a way to recreate an email address if it has already been used up...:) or maybe you could add a unique link to the last message, which should delete the email address when I click on the link or something like that...
Any ideas?

Thanks
desikanr

Postby josh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:36 pm

Does it not work to go into advanced mode and "view my disposable addresses" to see what you might've used before, then "refill" the addresses by manually increasing the count?
josh

Postby ebuleheb » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:50 pm

By the way, the messages you receive that are after limit are not bounced. They are received and deleted.
ebuleheb

Disable addresses

Postby desikanr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:30 am

Josh, what you have said what I would do currently...the problem is once you start having several such addresses, you loose track of what you have used, and might end up using the same one again...especially if you follow some conventions when creating new emails. If this happens the mails just get deleted. So now I should force myself to go to the sg website and wade through all my disposable email addresses and then adjust the one I need. Instead, if and when I get an email for a disposable address that I created, you provide some unique link to let me click to delete that address, then when I know I have received all the emails I am expecting, I could delete this address. Subsequently, if I went and used the same address elsewhere, now since it is not present it can be recreated. Another approach would be to just provide the ability on the website to remove disposable addresses that have been created.
I can find a lot of value in such a feature - eg: I typically use storename.3.username@spamg.com whenever I do any rebates. I get a confirmation when I submit it and a confirmation when they have processed it and another when they mail my rebate. Now, 3 months later, I get another product from the same store and would now reuse the same address - if I did not remember to check sg, my emails would bounce. If however, I was able to delete this email address somehow, maybe via the website itself or thro' some email link that I described earlier, my disposable email would just get recreated...and I end up achieving the same purpose! Also, I dont have to deal with a looong list of email addresses on the sg website...infact I have quite a few that I never get any emails on...they are just sitting there!
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your prompt response!
desikanr

Disable addresses

Postby desikanr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:32 am

Josh, what you have said what I would do currently...the problem is once you start having several such addresses, you loose track of what you have used, and might end up using the same one again...especially if you follow some conventions when creating new emails. If this happens the mails just get deleted. So now I should force myself to go to the sg website and wade through all my disposable email addresses and then adjust the one I need. Instead, if and when I get an email for a disposable address that I created, you provide some unique link to let me click to delete that address, then when I know I have received all the emails I am expecting, I could delete this address. Subsequently, if I went and used the same address elsewhere, now since it is not present it can be recreated. Another approach would be to just provide the ability on the website to remove disposable addresses that have been created.
I can find a lot of value in such a feature - eg: I typically use storename.3.username@spamg.com whenever I do any rebates. I get a confirmation when I submit it and a confirmation when they have processed it and another when they mail my rebate. Now, 3 months later, I get another product from the same store and would now reuse the same address - if I did not remember to check sg, my emails would bounce. If however, I was able to delete this email address somehow, maybe via the website itself or thro' some email link that I described earlier, my disposable email would just get recreated...and I end up achieving the same purpose! Also, I dont have to deal with a looong list of email addresses on the sg website...infact I have quite a few that I never get any emails on...they are just sitting there!
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your prompt response!
desikanr

Disable addresses

Postby desikanr » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:39 am

Hey, finally i get it....sorry! Thought I was being smart....just realized that if I deleted the email address, any spam to that email address would just recreate it, defeating the purpose...
But I would still like to explore atleast the idea of some specially tailored email from myself, that can automatically reset the counter atleast, without manually logging in to do this on the website.
desikanr

Postby SysKoll » Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:38 pm

Desikanr,

What you'd like is a way to send an email message that would contain commands for SG. In other words, it's an email interface instead of a web interface. The question is, why? Are there any advantages in doing this rather than logging to the web site?

If you use the Mozilla or Galeon web browser, you can store your uid/passwords on your hard disk and get them auto-inserted in the login fields. You don't even have to type them in. How could email be more convenient that this?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to General Discussion