Automatic plugin/extension for Thunderbird

General discussion re sg.

Automatic plugin/extension for Thunderbird

Postby nesty » Thu May 03, 2007 12:51 am

Spamgourmet. Fucking awesome!

My only problem is sending emails to new people using a disposable address. Each time I want to do this I have to log into the site which is time consuming and inconvenient.

Has anyone ever thought of making a Mozilla Thunderbird (a very popular email client) extension which would automatically log onto the website in the background using your username/pass then input the address to send from / address to send to then get the "secret sauce" code to scramble the address and wholla!! return the email string back to the email client providing a quick and easy way to send messages using spamgourmet without ever having to spend time logging onto the site. (plus it would be good for noobs who want to use my/your email frequently)
nesty

Postby Odomus » Thu May 03, 2007 5:19 pm

You dont need to do that, if you use it 1 time jsut copy and paste it somewhere. Also save it as a favorite email address in your address book. That one will never change at all, and you can keep using it over and over again. As long as you use it once, it willa lways be the same if you are sending it to the same person. But for every new person who do get yes from what i see you are going to have to get the code from them on their site to send it through but then you can always use the same one over and over again. That is what i ahve been doing and it works. Again if it the same person over and over again. No need for a new code.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Postby SysKoll » Thu May 03, 2007 7:13 pm

We cannot really embark on that kind of project, mainly because of $DAYJOB. But feel free, that would indeed be a great benefit for all of us!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby mysticturner » Sat May 05, 2007 12:15 pm

Considered it - yes. Done it - no. Like the above post, my house payment depends on something else. But I have thought about what features it could/should have.

First, Odomus is correct. I don't have a non-SG address in my address book. The problem is that you have to go to SG to build the address when you are sending one (or copy the address from an inbound msg).

My basic idea is this - when composing a msg, you type in a regular address, then you press the button (or whatever) that activates the extension. The extension would go to SG, logon, get your list of address words and present them to you in a selection list. You select the one you want to send from and the extension generates the scrambled address for you.

In version 1.2 (1.1 is always a bug fix release) an added feature would be to pick up the remaining usage counts and add it to the selection screen so that you can see if you need to reset the count.

Version 2.0 would allow you to create a new address word, which would then be created for you once you send the email. I'm not sure if the process of just sending with the SG address containing the new word in an outbound email would work or if the extension would have to go back to SG and create the address. The first option is still something to figure out, but a solution does exist in the second option.

Any other ideas/suggestions and I'll add them to the design. But no guarantees on when (or even if) I'll ever write it.
mysticturner

Postby Odomus » Sat May 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Please dont take this is as a me saying it is a bad idea cuase it aint, or this idea sucks cause it doesnt. Maybe iam not jus getting it or something. Maybe you can clear it up for me.

Ok, whenyou do give you email address to Joe, And your Account Name is Mark on SG. You would give it to them Joe.Mark@xoxy.net . As an example. Now if that SG address points to lets say a Gmail address, as an example, Marky@gmail.com.
Now when Joe sends an email to Joe.Mark@xoxy.net you will get a disposeable address. Now you only have to log into SG once to get that Disposeable send from once. It doesnt change. Cause when do, you can put that into your gmail address book... under Joe, and That email will always be to Joe. It doesnt change.
Why would you need to go into it multiple times todo a reply from every time you would want a reply to the person?
Wouldnt that would tax the servers in accessing the account multiple sometimes hundreds maybe thousands of times.

Couldnt this also be abused? I mean I know the servers are monitored, but that is an easy way to get a spamer to send from multiple addreses alot quicker and eaiser then it would be to do it the way they are doing it now.

Iam sorry if this came off rude or insulting. I didnt mean for it to come off like that.
I just dont see a point in it. It is 1 little step that isnt a big whooha, that helps in making sure it isnt bot mailing, or anything like that. Or that you actually can see what the email address is... so you dont mistake, and send it to the wrong person or chose the wrong one.

-Odomus
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Postby nesty » Sun May 06, 2007 10:52 pm

Odomus say you're on a website that says

email us at example@something.com

The only way to do this with a disposable address is to go on the spamgourmet web page and get the scrambled address there. I'm talking about a plugin that would do this automatically each time you want to send to a new address for an email client.

I'm a Computer Science student and have a job and a girlfriend and I just have absolutely no time to make the plugin myself. Once I get good enough and have some time I will make one but that won't be for at least 2 years :) So I'm just hoping that somebody beats me to it.
nesty

Postby josh » Mon May 07, 2007 2:17 am

going to the website is not the only way to do it -- there's nothing to stop you from specifying the disposable address as your from address in whatever software you're using, without visiting the spamgourmet site - we don't implement SPF or anything like that which would cause mail servers to be suspicious that the message was coming from a different mail server. Would that make it easier? Maybe if you were using thunderbird and the firefox plugin interacted with it.
josh

Postby Odomus » Mon May 07, 2007 4:18 am

Nesty:
I understand where youa re comming from, totally... I knwo you just dont want to goto the SG site everytime is all. ANd Josh does have a point down below yours... Outlook does have the send from address, I totally forgot about that. TB i dont use and nor I do outlook... but from what i remmeber OUtlook has that ability TB might too. If i actually rememberd that I would of mentioned it I am sorry. I do apologize.

-Odomus
Odomus

Postby fmus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:18 pm

nesty wrote:I'm a Computer Science student and have a job and a girlfriend and I just have absolutely no time to make the plugin myself.

Girlriend?!? Do they let just anyone declare a CS major these days? :-)
fmus

Postby mysticturner » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:01 am

Odomus wrote:Please dont take this is as a me saying it is a bad idea cuase it aint, or this idea sucks cause it doesnt. Maybe iam not jus getting it or something. Maybe you can clear it up for me.

Ok, whenyou do give you email address to Joe, And your Account Name is Mark on SG. You would give it to them Joe.Mark@xoxy.net . As an example. Now if that SG address points to lets say a Gmail address, as an example, Marky@gmail.com.
Now when Joe sends an email to Joe.Mark@xoxy.net you will get a disposeable address. Now you only have to log into SG once to get that Disposeable send from once. It doesnt change. Cause when do, you can put that into your gmail address book... under Joe, and That email will always be to Joe. It doesnt change.
Why would you need to go into it multiple times todo a reply from every time you would want a reply to the person?
Wouldnt that would tax the servers in accessing the account multiple sometimes hundreds maybe thousands of times.

Couldnt this also be abused? I mean I know the servers are monitored, but that is an easy way to get a spamer to send from multiple addreses alot quicker and eaiser then it would be to do it the way they are doing it now.

Iam sorry if this came off rude or insulting. I didnt mean for it to come off like that.
I just dont see a point in it. It is 1 little step that isnt a big whooha, that helps in making sure it isnt bot mailing, or anything like that. Or that you actually can see what the email address is... so you dont mistake, and send it to the wrong person or chose the wrong one.

-Odomus

Don't worry Odomus, you're not being a pain. Extra input helps the design process.

The problem Odomus is that sometimes people give me their address. Then I send the first email to them. If I just put their clear address into my to field and send it, then they get to see my real email address because SG never got involved in the email I sent out. I don't want to have to go to SG and generate the coded to address. While going to SG and generating the to address is not a big whooha (as you say), it still takes a couple of minutes (yes I timed it). And that lost 2 minutes is something that a) bugs me, b) I'll never get back, but most of all c) was a distraction to what I was doing to begin with. And that 2 minutes bugs nesty as well as me, and who knows how many others.

As for the multiple times you state, I wouldn't be generating the address but once, same as I have to do now. Once I have the SG coded address, either by generating it myself or by getting the reply to from the email my new friend sent, I can just keep doing reply to. If I want to keep it, I can put it into my address book.

josh wrote:going to the website is not the only way to do it -- there's nothing to stop you from specifying the disposable address as your from address in whatever software you're using, without visiting the spamgourmet site - we don't implement SPF or anything like that which would cause mail servers to be suspicious that the message was coming from a different mail server. Would that make it easier? Maybe if you were using thunderbird and the firefox plugin interacted with it.

I never thought about that josh. I'll have to ponder the possibilities.... To clarify what you're saying Josh is that I can specify a from address that is an SG address. When I send the email, SG doesn't get involved. My ISP sends it directly to the to address server. When my new friend replies, then he replies to an SG address, his ISP sends it to SG, the new address gets created by the return email. The question the process raises in my mind (and it might not be an actual problem) is will my ISP allow me to send an email with a from address that does not match the account I have with the ISP.
mysticturner

Postby josh » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 pm

I haven't checked in the last couple years, but it used to be that nobody put a restriction on that. GMail does now, I know.
josh

Return to General Discussion