Systems Slowing Down...?

General discussion re sg.

Systems Slowing Down...?

Postby Odomus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:41 am

I just been noticing, are all the routing servers or something all getting Hit still with DDoS attacks? Only reason why I ask it becuase I have the list of the right extentions xoxy, recursor etc... about 12-15of them, and I used every one, now some i can understand that they maybe banned form that service and I know they dont normally tell you... which is fine.
*edit*
Frainkly it is the ones from mamber.net that Iam having the biggest(longest) problem with. But all are seeming to do it so far, just not as long as mamber.net.

But the ones I dont understand are the ones that are comming in 30min, 1hr 2hr 3hr... upto 32hours 42min tops so far...late on some. Normally I will wait 2-5min tops(gmail refresh time) and it is there.

This only has been happening in the last few days to a week tops.
Any ideas on this?

Iam not going to stop using you guys you are my only hope on battleing the spammers... and you guys rock. Been reccomending people to you since you are so far the best in the battle.

Thank you so much for being here.
-Odomus
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Re: Systems Slowing Down...?

Postby de552 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:26 am

I still suggest adding another front end server...

I don't know why nothing has happened to this matter for long time. Because all the time spamgourmet seems to be unreliable.

Adding another server with smaller MX than main server would take most of "crap traffic" and then it would forward valid traffic quickly to main server. Which is second server in MX so if connection to first server fails, valid smtp server will connect it directly anyway.

Current situation where backup server is same as the primary server is totally no good.

What do you admins think about this approach? As I mentioned, this solution doesn't require adding "another intelligent" box. It's simply front end server receiving email. And and when valid message is received it quickly forwards it to main server.

Naturally this only helps with spoof traffic eating up SMTP connections. It doesn't help at all if all "bot crap load" is already actually valid traffic.

- Comments?
de552

Postby Odomus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:26 pm

Well the commment on my side....
Well I do know that Gmail doesnt take forever on my side it is normally instantantious... and things dont go missing or 'invisible' but This foward from you guys... 16hours You guys obviously keep the time on the orginal fowards some how so it still keeps it in the email itself when sent to gmail. Cause it wasent sitting there in my email for 16hours that is for sure.
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
Odomus

Return to General Discussion