Willing to buy new domains for SG to use as forwarding addys

General discussion re sg.

Willing to buy new domains for SG to use as forwarding addys

Postby pogue972 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:59 pm

We used to have some secret domains that weren't listed in the main Spamgourmet list. I think we should have some more secret/private or lightly used domains to use with Spamgourmet because there are a lot of services that are now filtering all SG email domains.

I'd be willing to buy some cheap domains off namecheap.com and either transfer them to the owner here or have them forward here or however it works.

What do you guys think?
pogue972

Re: Willing to buy new domains for SG to use as forwarding a

Postby xmoddz » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:38 pm

Great idea, i think even a premium option that users can pay for in order to prevent addresses from getting CAUGHT
xmoddz

Postby pogue972 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 am

xmoddz wrote:Great idea, i think even a premium option that users can pay for in order to prevent addresses from getting CAUGHT

Yeah, that's what I suggested in my other post about having SG switch to a Patreon model. The idea is to keep the domains off blacklists for known disposable addresses.
pogue972

Postby anon090526 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:23 pm

Yes! I would be very interested in a premium SG service that allowed me to have a private SG domain.
I already make an annual donation to cover hosting/admin costs, but I would be happy to pay for the cost of domain registration plus a premium above that to cover the bother to SG administration of supporting this, and the rest of the site. Avoiding site blacklists of "known" SG domains would be of real value to me, and I would pay for this.
anon090526

Postby theunbob » Sat May 22, 2021 3:15 pm

I
would be very interested in a premium SG service that allowed me to have a private SG domain.

Amen and X2 to that request!

I have been a long-time SG user and have been plagued for years by this problem when attempting to register on web sites and set-up new accounts using a SG email address.

Apparently many web sites blacklist any email address containing "spam" - stupidly assuming that it must be a spam-generating email service.

Thus, SG is unusable for many web sites on the internet.

Your message stats: 42,187 forwarded, 43,740 eaten. You have 793 spamgourmet address(es).
theunbob

Postby TheAnti-SpamMan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:59 am

Yes! I too want additional domains. It looks like namecheap has .com registration for less than $50 for a half-decade :) . I'd pay for this right now! (doing my part to help solve Q 37 of 49 on the FAQ) I see that PayPal donate button on our website.
https://www.namecheap.com/domains/regis ... /gtld/com/
Lookin' at you certain popular name brand of uninterruptible power supplies.
I just want honest spam-free support. I haven't contacted their support yet for help in signing up since they are closed for the weekend.
TheAnti-SpamMan

Postby dragonfeather » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:01 pm

pogue972 wrote:I'd be willing to buy some cheap domains off namecheap.com and either transfer them to the owner here or have them forward here or however it works.

There is 0 value in buying a domain and transferring to the owner. It's better to either just suggest it to owner to get it outright (we have already done that) or to maintain your own domain, get it added here, and share with the bbs.

Of course it doesn't help since the disposable checkers are now too smart and will get the new domains very quickly.
dragonfeather

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:30 pm

dragonfeather wrote:
pogue972 wrote:I'd be willing to buy some cheap domains off namecheap.com and either transfer them to the owner here or have them forward here or however it works.

There is 0 value in buying a domain and transferring to the owner. It's better to either just suggest it to owner to get it outright (we have already done that) or to maintain your own domain, get it added here, and share with the bbs.

Of course it doesn't help since the disposable checkers are now too smart and will get the new domains very quickly.

We just have to load up on domains and have some secret domains that only some members know about.

Can you just add a SG domain you buy yourself and configure it to be connected to SG and it recognizes it as an MX? I think Josiah would have to allow that.
pogue972

Postby jim » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 pm

Just FYI there's a discussion/debate about the merits of blacklisting domains here:
https://github.com/ivolo/disposable-ema ... issues/872

One thing to note is that if someone is rabidly anti-email forwarding domains, they can find them by checking where the MX record points. I have a private domain that I've never shared publicly, but some sites still reject it. :'(

I missed this other thread that already has more details on domain blacklisting:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878
jim

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:31 pm

jim wrote:Just FYI there's a discussion/debate about the merits of blacklisting domains here:

One thing to note is that if someone is rabidly anti-email forwarding domains, they can find them by checking where the MX record points. I have a private domain that I've never shared publicly, but some sites still reject it. :'(

I missed this other thread that already has more details on domain blacklisting:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878

Thanks for the reply, I'll check into that. When I was an administrator of a large forum, I was very adamantly in agreement with disallowing DEAs. This is because trolls would get banned, then simply go to https://10minutemail.com/ and make a new account lickity split.

You can check if your own personal MX is blacklisted at https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx. You could then contact the owner for a dispute of being on that blacklist.

That's why I believe we need multiple MX services to workout with SG.

But, this is all just fantasizing because the admin, Josiah, is completely MIA, so there's literally nothing we can do.
pogue972

Postby smtpd » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:28 pm

pogue972 wrote:Can you just add a SG domain you buy yourself and configure it to be connected to SG and it recognizes it as an MX? I think Josiah would have to allow that.

im afraid this would make SG look like a spammer to legit sites, for reasons...
sometime ago, i stopt using SG ``because i wasnt getting any spam.'' what an idiot!
smtpd

Postby Function » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 pm

jim wrote:Just FYI there's a discussion/debate about the merits of blacklisting domains here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1878

The same thing has been happening with me and seeing my personal domain (never shared) more routinely blocked out of the gate. It doesn't however show up in mxtoolbox.com or a cursory check of other MX domain blockers, so I'm not sure what's behind it.
Any way to run the MX servers through a proxy as a holdover before these domains are blocked everywhere?
Function

Postby michaeldlr » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:26 am

I'm afraid that some sites are blocking mail relay hosts not domains. The way to fix this would be to build spamgourmet so that it uses different new (and likely changing) mail relay hosts for each other domain. That needs more people contributing to fixing the issues on the spamgourmet project so please step up if you know any of {mail systems,domains and routing,programming in general,Perl programming,linux,etc.} and can put a little time into that.
michaeldlr

Return to General Discussion