ATTN: Josiah!!! SG is in DESPERATE need of some New Domains

General discussion re sg.

ATTN: Josiah!!! SG is in DESPERATE need of some New Domains

Postby pogue972 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:26 pm

More and more often, I'm seeing even the formerly hidden/unknown Spamgourmet domains show up on blacklists.

I checked the disposable-email-provider-domains (stripped the referrer off so the owner won't find this thread) list on Github to see which SG domains were listed, - a list, I might mention,that is used by a LOT of forums and other websites to prevent spambots or trolls from signing up.

Here are the domains found by the DEPD list and it is the following. ✔ = working - ❌ = listed in the database:

Moved list of domains to BitBin so it won't show up on the main forum, as per user request.

So EVERY domain name but one is listed in a public blacklist of disposable email addresses. Please @josiah, we need to work together and find some more disposable email address domains for Spamgourmet.

I would have no problem kicking in a little money so you could busy some real cheap domains from namecheap.com

Here's the price range for them:
  • .com & .net & .org $10
  • .co $8
  • .co.uk ($7 - not sure if they require you to provide a legit UK address or you could just use a UK based VPN server like WindScribe while registering. They give you 10GB of free usage a month. If you need an address, this site https://www.fakeaddresscopy.com/England/ will generate you a fake UK street/postal address.)
  • .ca $11 (same as above)
  • .me $5

Namecheap Deals - Look in the upper right corner & click on where it says ""Choose from" and has Popular Selected. Just click the drop down box and change it to Deals, which is right under Popular.

They're offering some AWESOME deals for domain names for only $1, TONS of them. Many vanity domains too, so let's start buying some more domains - like 10 to 30. I'm happy to chip in some funds for it. Because Spamgourmet is essentially useless on all of it's current domains, they've been identified.

• .xyz $1
  • .click $1.30
  • .cyou $1.30
  • .cfd $1.39
  • .sbs $1.39

PM this to josiah and ask him to do this if you agree with me. Once he sees how many users not only want this but NEED this hopefully he will do it, we've got to take action NOW!

Thanks & Happy Holidays to all,
pogue
Last edited by pogue972 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
pogue972

Re: Spamgoumet is in DESPERATE need of some New Domain Names

Postby lwc » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:40 pm

Please delete the list of domains from your post, this is partly why they get blocked... :(
lwc

Postby pogue972 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:12 am

lwc wrote:Please delete the list of domains from your post, this is partly why they get blocked... :(

It's too late. If they're already listed on the biggest and most widely used disposable email block list on the web, listing them here isn't going to make a difference.

I also tried posting the 3 secret SG domains in ROT13 to keep them private, but they still found them.

https://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1843&p=8742&sid=2727524ea3114a8541ee019f3c582199&sid=4b2df1fcc168200efe16365561ace742#p8742

WE NEED NEW DOMAINS - PLAIN AND SIMPLE! THERE IS SIMPLY NO AVOIDING THIS FACT!
pogue972

Postby lwc » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:39 pm

pogue972 wrote:
lwc wrote:Please delete the list of domains from your post, this is partly why they get blocked... :(

It's too late. If they're already listed on the biggest and most widely used disposable email block list on the web, listing them here isn't going to make a difference.

Still for the principle of the matter, don't contribute to it. Please do your small part and don't spread these domains...

I also tried posting the 3 secret SG domains in ROT13 to keep them private, but they still found them.

https://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1843&p=8742&sid=4b2df1fcc168200efe16365561ace742&sid=03c8e7e69962cf32f763181c8916d4fc#p8742

See my post there, there are only 2 real secret ones, not 3. Make sure you used the right 2.
lwc

Postby anon090526 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:00 pm

I'm not going to PM Josiah because if it was me I'd find it annoying, and I don't want to annoy him. But I assume he at least occasionally checks these boards, so I will add my voice to to the request for more domain names. I already make a yearly donation, but I'd add more for this if requested.

What I would really like is the ability to pay for a bespoke domain that only Josiah and I know about that I could use with SG for my private use. I've suggested that here in other threads in the past. I believe that would solve the blacklist issue for me, at least. I'd be thrilled to pay for the domain, plus an administrative surcharge for Josiah's trouble, plus a little more (as I do now) for general SG admin costs. Cal it SG Pro, or SG Premium, or SG+. Please.
anon090526

Postby pogue972 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:03 pm

anon090526 wrote:I'm not going to PM Josiah because if it was me I'd find it annoying, and I don't want to annoy him. But I assume he at least occasionally checks these boards, so I will add my voice to to the request for more domain names. I already make a yearly donation, but I'd add more for this if requested

It's not going to annoy him man. I'm sure he gets plenty of PMs. All you're doing is expressing your opinion to him that you agree with this idea. I mean, we are at a point of EMERGENCY STATUS - ALL HANDS ON DECK - ICEBURG INCOMING.

anon090526 wrote:What I would really like is the ability to pay for a bespoke domain that only Josiah and I know about that I could use with SG for my private use. I've suggested that here in other threads in the past. I believe that would solve the blacklist issue for me, at least. I'd be thrilled to pay for the domain, plus an administrative surcharge for Josiah's trouble, plus a little more (as I do now) for general SG admin costs. Cal it SG Pro, or SG Premium, or SG+. Please.

I really don't see that happen, but the idea of SG premium has been brought up before and we could pay monthly through Patreon or any other payment service. But Josiah as nixed all those ideas. If Josiah doesn't have time to maintain SG or keep it up to date as in the condition it's in now, he should assign that role to another person he knows and trust and let them run the site for awhile.
Last edited by pogue972 on Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pogue972

Postby pogue972 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 pm

lwc wrote:
pogue972 wrote:

Okay, as per your request, I moved the list to BitBin.
pogue972

Postby pogue972 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:25 pm

lwc wrote:See my post there, there are only 2 real secret ones, not 3. Make sure you used the right 2.

There are actually FOUR hidden domains. I think I posted these in my ROT13 encoded post, so you might want to go back and run through that the decoder. I tried to send you a PM of these, but everything I did it said "user does not want to be added" or something like that. So, if you want me to send them to you, my Twitter & Email is in my sig.
pogue972

Re: ATTN: Josiah!!! SG is in DESPERATE need of some New Doma

Postby pogue972 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:50 pm

bump
pogue972

Postby planux » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:56 am

Not to say it won’t matter, but…. it won’t matter.

The spam-hunters look at the MX records of domains (even new domains) and if they see the SG mail servers listed, they’ll blacklist the domain. How do I know? One of my personal domains is (with SG’s blessing) setup as a SG domain and it’s black listed on that same list — even though I am the only person using that domain.

So, adding more domains won’t help. They’ll just get blacklisted too, as long as their MX records point to SG.
planux

Postby pogue972 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:19 am

planux wrote:Not to say it won’t matter, but…. it won’t matter.

The spam-hunters look at the MX records of domains (even new domains) and if they see the SG mail servers listed, they’ll blacklist the domain. How do I know? One of my personal domains is (with SG’s blessing) setup as a SG domain and it’s black listed on that same list — even though I am the only person using that domain.

So, adding more domains won’t help. They’ll just get blacklisted too, as long as their MX records point to SG.

Well, perhaps we should fork Spamgourmet's MX servers away from their OG ones and put it under a separate D/B/A or something under another host? I have no idea of the cost it takes to run a MX server without taking in any profit. But SG is slowly and surely losing it's accessibility and availability.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 pm

Hey folks please refrain from sending PMs to Josiah. He has been very gracious in taking over Josh's work and has commitments of his own. It is also very difficult to maintain a service that was written 20 years ago from scratch.

That said, Josiah, please let us know if there's any way we can help. There's a lot of people who'll be happy to help out (whether it's financially or providing domains or helping out with the infrastructure) including me.

pogue972 wrote:Well, perhaps we should fork Spamgourmet's MX servers away from their OG ones and put it under a separate D/B/A or something under another host? I have no idea of the cost it takes to run a MX server without taking in any profit. But SG is slowly and surely losing it's accessibility and availability.

It's not about just pointing the MX server to another host (I'm sure you are aware, but I think it needs to be said). We have a lot of private emails on these domains, and we need proper care to be taken of those email addresses and we can't just hand it out to whoever reaches out first. I would much rather have slightly lower quality of service with a person I fully trust like Josiah.
dragonfeather

Postby dragonfeather » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:52 am

Hi pogue,

Please remove the list of domains that you have published from all places (both your posts and bitbin, even though it's ROT13). The reason is that these are not just bots scraping these, we have humans doing this too and they'll get to it. We just need one pro-spam lurker to see this and have the entire list of domains exposed in one fell swoop.

Read this FAQ entry that Josh wrote on this.

Q. I think they're on to me - are there any other domains I can use besides spamgourmet.com?
A. Yes - you can use spamgourmet.net, spamgourmet.org, ....
Best to pick one and stick with it, since that will make it easier to remember your spamgourmet addresses if you have to. There are other domains you can use, as well (search around the site and BBS, and the web, too). We don't list them all in one place, because some webmasters configure their sites to reject our addresses, and it seems like they come here to see which domains to reject. (If you *are* one of these people, why do you do this? What good does it really do for you, and don't you have better things to do?

I know you are doing this with the best intentions, but I think Josh has a point that we should respect here. Hope you can take these off soon and delete your bitbin as well!
dragonfeather

Postby pogue972 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:35 pm

dragonfeather wrote:Hey folks please refrain from sending PMs to Josiah. He has been very gracious in taking over Josh's work and has commitments of his own. It is also very difficult to maintain a service that was written 20 years ago from scratch.

This is a an absolute EOL (end of life) situation for Spamgourmet if Josiah doesn't intervene. I have no other way to contact him. If he doesn't want to continue to run this service anymore, he should do a gradual winddown and let us transfer all our emails to a different service like trashmail (which, incidentally having the same problem and the owner has promised to buy up domains in bulk for use with the service)

dragonfeather wrote:It's not about just pointing the MX server to another host (I'm sure you are aware, but I think it needs to be said). We have a lot of private emails on these domains, and we need proper care to be taken of those email addresses and we can't just hand it out to whoever reaches out first. I would much rather have slightly lower quality of service with a person I fully trust like Josiah.

I don't follow you here at all.
pogue972

Postby dragonfeather » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:13 pm

pogue972 wrote:This is a an absolute EOL (end of life) situation for Spamgourmet if Josiah doesn't intervene. I have no other way to contact him. If he doesn't want to continue to run this service anymore, he should do a gradual winddown and let us transfer all our emails to a different service like trashmail (which, incidentally having the same problem and the owner has promised to buy up domains in bulk for use with the service)

I agree that the situation is bad, but I'm not quite sure that we have a solution or anything Josiah can do either. Sure, we can add new domains but it'll pop up on those lists practically instantly, and nothing changes.

We need a better solution, but I have no clue what that could be other than each of us running our own spamgourmet instance.
dragonfeather

Next

Return to General Discussion