Josh has Passed Away

General discussion re sg.

Re: Josh has Passed Away

Postby amopheus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:37 am

Dear Josiah,

So sorry for your loss, but grateful you were able to spend his final days with your father. He set a wonderful example for you and the rest of the world. He will be remembered and missed by many. Thank you for sharing and may your father rest in peace.
amopheus

Postby rowper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:03 pm

Dear Josiah,

Your father was clearly a very well-rounded and well-loved man. He provided something special to the world, something which has lasted longer than many other things we expect to remain reliable like relationships, jobs, family ... That you had such love and guidance throughout your life is a blessing and I'm sure you know this.

The Internet of today is so much different than at the turn of the century. Personal websites of any kind (as in, non-corporate) are increasingly rare, and I hope to change this and bring decentralization back to the Web. The ethos of making something good and providing it to the community out of one's own pocket is one which your father exemplified and one which should grow widely in its realization and adoption. We have a lot we can do for each other on the net, and we did long before any blights like Facebook or Twitter appeared.

I won't ramble on too much at the moment, though I feel like I could. I respect your father quite a lot from what little I knew of him personally, and how great his public deeds were.

When your father posted about his condition, I posted on here stating that I wanted to help if I could, and I'd like to reiterate that. I have a background in servers and related infrastructure tech, if I can ever be of assistance, technical or otherwise, please let me know.

RIP Josh
rowper

Postby cnlson11 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:04 am

What a rollercoaster the past day has been, The outage caused me to google "is spamgourmet down" at which point I was pointed towards the forum post about spamgourmet closing down, at which point panic set in...
Then I read the thread on Josh's health and I was not just grieving the loss of the site, but the wonderful man, whom i corresponded with several times.
Then I read the thread on the continuation of spamgourmet and felt mixed emotions, with the good news for SG and bad still for Josh.
Then SG came back up, but i had been unable to post, for some reason my account had been inactive and i have no idea what my email was when i signed up for the forum so i had to create a new forum account and saw the post about SG staying up and some positive news about Josh...
And then this thread.

I do not know what to say. The whipsaw of emotions in such a short time with the raw nerve that is 2020 is overwhelming. I hope your family has found some healing in the time that has passed. And I thank your for the continued service.
I can't tell from the posts if the donate is working/active or not. I would like to donate if it is.

Thanks in advance if you reply!

45,094 forwarded, 445,964 eaten. You have 1704 spamgourmet address(es).
first address 2002-06-15 07:26
cnlson11

Postby loki9797979797 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:41 pm

My condolences, your father was a very important man!
loki9797979797

Postby nottooshabby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 am

Please accept my condolences. I have been using spamgourmet for years but never really had a chance to visit the forums until today. I am incredibly saddened to learn that the man who built this service has passed away some time ago, but I am also glad to to hear that his mantle has been passed on. Thank you to you and your family, Josiah.
nottooshabby

Postby toxine » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:08 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am very saddened to learn that your father passed away. :(
toxine

Postby forest » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:16 pm

I'm sorry, Josiah. I hope you're doing well.
forest

Postby vikke » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:42 am

So sorry for your loss.
vikke

Postby lovespamgourmet » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Hello Josiah, hello family of Josh,
my heart and thoughts are with you! Thank you for sharing the sad news. I am touched by your description how you played his music to him. Before I only knew him for his great invention and offer of spamgourmet. With a dedicated userbase around the world.
Take care,
LoveSpamgourmet (at least since 2003) <B
lovespamgourmet

Postby zmikelewis1 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 am

I, too share the loss of your father. My condolences.
Is there any way someone could take over Spamgourmet as it exists and keep it alive?
I can't believe the nightmare it is being to change so many email addresses.
zmikelewis1

Postby grego47 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Been meaning to write a message here. I was very sorry when I read the news of Josh's sickness and felt sad that I didn't get a chance to thank him personally when he was still well enough to manage this website. I've been using this service for many years and it's truly been invaluable. I have hundreds of spamgourmet email address and can't even say how many times this has saved my "real" email address from getting spam, especially with so many data breaches. I can't thank him enough.

Anyway, I wanted to thank you as well, Josiah, for your hard work and dedication in taking over the task of keeping this service up and running for all of us.. It means more than you could know! My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
grego47

Postby toxine » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences. :cry:
toxine

Postby Diagon » Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am

I too have just discovered the news. I too took care of a parent - actually both - in Hospice. I know how draining, and yet, oddly, rewarding it is, even a gift, to be present at a parent's passing.

We have all appreciated how much good you father has done with this site. Thank you for continuing your father's legacy.
Diagon

Postby hjschell » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 am

I just read this.
My condolences-very, very sorry to hear.
SpamGourmet has really made my life better and easier-so Thanks and RIP.
hjschell

Postby Seinfeld » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 am

Hi Josiah,

I received an email from one of my Spamgourmet addresses today, and it occurred to me I had not donated in quite some time. I came to my account and noticed an old message from 2019 that your dad had posted about shutting down. I am so very sorry to hear about your dad's passing. What a great place the world can be when a community of like-minded people get together to do good things.

Wishing you all the best.

Your message stats: 27,873 forwarded, 1,836,922 eaten. You have 1,352 spamgourmet address(es).
First Use: Sometime in 2005
Seinfeld

Previous

Return to General Discussion