again...

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

again...

Postby josh » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:41 pm

It looks like there might be a hardware problem -- the service provider took the main box offline temporarily to diagnose.
josh

Postby josh » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:44 am

back up again -- I'm awaiting news from the service provider, but things are humming along nicely
josh

Nasty feeling...

Postby LostMail » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:44 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I have nasty feeling that some email got missing again...
LostMail

Re: Nasty feeling...

Postby LostMail » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:24 pm

Now I'm 100% sure, I checked my email programs history. Several messages lost again.

It seems that outages cause messages to get lost. ;(

Best Regards,
LostMail
LostMail

Postby josh » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:38 pm

what's going on is that I've moved offline the stupendously massively enormous queue that built up. It's too much for the server to handle -- without it, the server is running very well, and I imagine that all new mail is getting through very quickly.

It's going to take me and a team of scientists some time to figure out how to handle the huge offline queue. It does show signs of at least one concerted DOS effort, and so we can hopefully filter that stuff out. In the meantime, if you can give me a clue about what you're expecting, I may be able to pull it out.
josh

Postby josh » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:02 pm

Also, please note that you if you send yourself test messages from a gmail account, you will never receive them -- gmail considers the outgoing and incoming messages to be the same thing and only shows it once.

http://images.spamgourmet.com/phpBB2/vi ... ight=gmail
josh

Mail getting lost...

Postby LostMail » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:32 am

josh wrote:what's going on is that I've moved offline the stupendously massively enormous queue that built up. It's too much for the server to handle -- without it, the server is running very well, and I imagine that all new mail is getting through very quickly.

True, I know that very well. But the strange part is that the test addresses show in message database. Message got lost when it was coming to my email from SG.

But now everything is working again fine. I still believe there is some kind of technical glitch or bug. Because it's ok if mail doesn't get trough to SG after offline time. But if it get's lost when coming "out" from SG, then there is something wrong. If out going queue is going to get too long (spool full or similar), system should perevent new mail getting to it.

Btw, I didn't use gmail. I used normal finnish ISP and Eudora client. And I'm very familiar with email technology. My ISP did sent notification that mail to SG is queud, and I don't need to resend messages. (That's when system is down more than 4 hours). But I also know that after message resend time expires my ISP will also send notification which tell's that message didn't get trough. And I never ever received that message. Also fact that address database contains addresses of those lost messages, it also tells that SG got that message. Something happened with outgoing queue. That's my humble opinion without knowing any exact SG facts. I just see the results.

And that's now happened twice, so I'm very sure about this.
LostMail

Postby josh » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:19 pm

yes -- it's very likely that your message is in the outgoing queue, which I took offline (it contains both incoming and outgoing messages). If you give me a clue about what you're expecting, I can probably fish it out. You can email me the clue if you like (info at ...)
josh

Postby LostMail » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:08 am

Ok, then everything is clear. So it's know fact that tons of mail got lost. In some threads it seemd like it wouldn't be so clear.

- Thanks.

And that has now happened twice. Both times when system was down.
LostMail

Postby josh » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:59 pm

well, sort of -- I'm sure some mail got lost. We do have a big queue of stuff that's offline, and I can fish stuff out of it if need be, so that mail's not really lost.
josh

Postby LostMail » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:35 am

Woulnd't it be easier to extract that queue bit by bit? Than dig out important messages. I guess average user would be happier.

My mail isn't that important.

- Thankx!
LostMail

Postby josh » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:36 pm

we are extracting the mail bit by bit, but is a slow manual process -- that's why we're taking requests for specific messages.
josh

Postby hennish » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:38 pm

FYI: I just received a mail that was sent to me on december 15:th. Anyone else getting old mails today?
hennish

Postby josh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:38 pm

we're in the process of clearing out a bunch of that queued up mail from back then.
josh

Return to What's New