service outage

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Postby Icfu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:02 am

Well, my ratio of eaten:delivered is about 1:100 so obviously my use of SpamGourmet as an email forwarder to track those who might give my email address away was *very* unwelcome then. Sorry for that. :)

Anyway, in hours of work I now have switched nearly all my aliases to my regular email address again and am now running my email box with the fantastic spam filter and emailforwarder http://eleven.de, free for private use.

I won't waste your resources anymore from now on, maybe that will help a little to cure the ratio again.

Good luck

Icfu
Icfu

All mail lost...

Postby LostMail » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:25 am

info wrote:update: new server is up, and mail service is restored. The server is working *very* hard to catch up with the buzillion messages that queued up all over the place while we were down - please be more patient that you thought you would have to be.

Strange, I lost all mail starting from 12th day to today. I also had to reconfirm all account email addresses before those started to work without problems. Strange.
LostMail

Re: All mail lost...

Postby LostMail » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:49 am

About mail getting lost. Inbound mail (from mail server to SG) didn't get lost. Because if I search my address database. I'll see addresses created by lost email.

Strange.

I have exactly the same problem as the guy using GMail... Mail gets to SG but SG didn't sent mail to my protected address.

Regards,
lostmail160504.mika84@spamgourmet.com
LostMail

Re: All mail lost...

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:09 am

LostMail wrote:I have exactly the same problem as the guy using GMail... Mail gets to SG but SG didn't sent mail to my protected address.

Can confirm that. Can send messages to SG: since dec. 13th, no emails are bouncing back (at least no error mails), so i think they got into the SG-queue. however, none of these emails have reached me, yet - can't think that they are in the queue for over 3 days.

btw: i don't use gmail.

Postby lwc » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:01 pm

I can confirm that someone I know and myself are still waiting for our messages...

However, I've sent a test message today to myself and got it in moments.

Now if there was still a queue, then surely it would only arrive after the old messages and not before/instead (unless the queue is not date based, like someone here suggested).

But since the test message arrived without any delay whatsoever, that makes me think that there's no queue anymore and we're back to normal operation.

Although it's great that everything is back to normal again, it also means in other words that I have to assume that all of us, who have yet to recieve our old messages by now, will never get them.
Still, since they were not deleted, I wonder what ever happened to them.
I can picture them flying in a virtual limbo somewhere...

Thanks for investing so much in this free service and please tell me what you think (am I right? Wrong? Both?).
lwc

test mails not getting through

Postby Baalz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:09 pm

Yeah, my mail is still not getting through (I'm using Gmail). I've sent a test mail every day including today (and who knows how much regular mail was sent) and have only recieved one mail since 12/10. I don't know if maybe there is something else going on with Gmail accounts. Test mails sent right now are not getting through.

If the issue is a lack of sufficient hardware, short of going for a comercial option maybe you could try pushing a little harder for more donations. I'm sure I'm not the only one whos taken SG for granted for awhile. I bet a lot of people would be willing to kick in a few bucks to keep this from being a regular occurance, even if they don't usually donate from the goodness of their hearts. I know the last couple of days have sure made me realize what a pain in the butt it'll be if SG becomes unreliable (and thus not useful).

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work. Don't let the trolls bring you down, the rest of us really appreciate it!
Baalz

All clear

Postby LJW » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:28 pm

Hi
I tested to send e-mail since 12th Dec, now(16th Dec 14:27GMT) all e-mails reach to all accounts.

Thank you for all guys!
LJW

Postby daditto » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:54 pm

There's definitly something wrong with gmail. I changed forwarding to my host and received an email, while there's no mail delivered to gmail box.
daditto

Postby basti007 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:58 pm

Since today, my emails are coming through again in seconds.

however, i realized that the counter have been increased of the emails i'm missing. so spamgourmet stored the amount of incoming emails to my address, but didn't forward some messages to me.

for example, the last message on one address i got was message 3 of 20. today i got 11 of 20 as next message. to i assume that at least 8 emails are missing, although they seemed to have reached spamgourmet.

so i guess it was a failure in the forwording process besides the queue processing.
basti007

Postby Paranoid2000 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:29 pm

Hmm...on one of my aliases, the Remaining count went negative. :o That suggests that SG received but did not forward emails (since I did not receive them myself). Perhaps SG's robustness could be improved here by checking that emails are being forwarded (presumably by another process) before accepting a new batch of incoming ones - this would mean that SG would automatically throttle-back if under excessive load.
Paranoid2000

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:27 am

Paranoid2000 wrote:Hmm...on one of my aliases, the Remaining count went negative. :o That suggests that SG received but did not forward emails (since I did not receive them myself).

Can confirm that. Would be interessted what info says on that issue...

Re: Something is still wrong

Postby jrd » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:51 pm

JO wrote:Aha, I think I found out something critical -- I think this is related to GMail.

Thanks for looking at this. I've switched to hotmail from gmail. I hope it helps. Lost lots of mail to the evil Black Hole.
jrd

Maybe not gmail related

Postby JO » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:32 pm

Just ran a couple of more tests. One of them showed up as a new disposable. None of them got forwarded to my yahoo address.

:(

While I love this service and would be willing to donate toward the purchase of new hardware, I'm really disappointed that the owners don't seem to care that there is still an issue -- hello admins, anybody out there?

Guess I'll try out the g-mail alternate address system (you can tack on a "+" and a word onto your username and it will be delivered to your gmail address. Then you can create filters to turn those into disposable addresses. Not as automatic as g-mail, but I think it'll have to do.)
JO

Re: Maybe not gmail related

Postby JO » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:34 pm

JO wrote:Not as automatic as g-mail, but I think it'll have to do.)

I mean not as automatic as SG. Dang. Well, no point in registering now.
JO

Previous

Return to What's New