service outage

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Postby Prognathous » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:52 pm

Anonymous wrote:testmails sent, nothing bounced, yet nothing received, there is still hope! :?

Same here. Anyway, I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually.

This is a good time to thank the spamgourmet guys for an excellent and dependable service. I really appreciate your work! :)

Prog.
Prognathous

Postby info » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:04 pm

we had a server date problem that was causing trouble after things were back up -- it also caused the stats to get whacked out. It's fixed now.
info
Site Admin

Postby John » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Is there an estimate you could give me on when we will recieve the emails that were sent during this outage? I have a few semi important emails that I am waiting for. I sent a few test emails and they haven't come, even though you just said it was fixed. I am guessing there is a bit of a delay now due to the queue.

Thanks for continuing to provide this service to us free of charge.
John

Postby gumpish » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:56 pm

It's only when the service hiccups that we all realize how much we depend on it and how much we take it for granted.

Thanks for this great service!

Hope the queue clears up soon!
gumpish

Moderately bad news: some email lost, but with error message

Postby xdcdx » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:33 pm

I sent an email from a Yahoo acount to one of my SG addresses on 12 Dec 2004 15:32:41.

Today I received an error message in my Yahoo account saying that the mentioned email was undeliverable and that the server had given up trying. At least Yahoo's server gave an error message.
xdcdx

Re: service outage

Postby LJW » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:05 am

info wrote:The affected server is currently down and will be rebuilt soon by our service provider. After that, I'll get the service running again. This is some significant downtime, but hopefully won't result in lost mail, just delayed mail. ...

I have some e-mail acount on the server(https://spruce.he.net/~jqh1/). Since 9th Dec, I can't send nor receive e-mails, still now. I tested telnet command on "MSDOS prompt" 12 times, but it works 3 times. It is 3 hours before. I hope that the server works good.
LJW

Postby SysKoll » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:43 am

There is a new poll here about paying service. It's not about abandonning the free spamgourmet, it's about giving people a commercial option.

If you depend on spamgourmet for very important email, then maybe you should consider pushing for a commercial service that can actually afford big servers and good support. For instance, I know a small ISP currently evaluating the idea of running a for-pay, commercially supported instance of spamgourmet (under their own domains of course).

Any commercial provider will need a proof that there is a demand before embarking in this kind of service, so if you are interested, make sure to vote in the poll here:

http://images.spamgourmet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=411

Disclaimer: I donate my time to support sg for free and I am not going to profit from any commercial sg-like service, but I would gladly subscribe.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

SIte is DOwn

Postby Mstanlita » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:05 pm

Can't get to site.

What's current status???
Mstanlita

Postby Icfu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:27 pm

I have moved all my newsletter and forum traffic to Spamgourmet a year ago and now I am paying the bill, at least that's my impression. :(

I am missing mails since 11.12 now and although newsletters are not "that" important it's a real pain in the ass.

If this was the first time your servers crashed I would not be so sad but half a year ago I already lost dozens of mails due to a server downtime. And now the server is down AGAIN for the second time in a week, this is too much for me.

Seems it's time to move again to regular email traffic with a decent spam filter. This is not worth all the efforts imho.

Thanks for your great servive during the last year but my trust in you is gone now, sorry.

Icfu
Icfu

Some advice, ICFU--

Postby Ta Ta » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:20 pm

Icfu wrote:Seems it's time to move again to regular email traffic with a decent spam filter. This is not worth all the efforts imho.

Thanks for your great servive during the last year but my trust in you is gone now, sorry.

Icfu

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :roll:.

Why exactly should you have lost "trust" in a free, non-guaranteed service which someone provides you entirely out of goodwill?

I bet you're real fun to give gifts to during holidays (I can picture it now: "Gee thanks Dad, but the fact you got me a Seiko rather than a Rolex has made me lose all trust in you").

Pffffpt.
Ta Ta

Postby Icfu » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:01 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out .

Thanks for your kind words. :)

Why exactly should you have lost "trust" in a free, non-guaranteed service which someone provides you entirely out of goodwill?

Believe it or not: spamgourmet.com was reliable in the past "although" it was free. I tried out spamgourmet.com for several months before I decided to switch all my addresses a year ago. I would never have done this without trust, you see?

If now the time has come that the servers can't do their job anymore because of too much people using the service one has to face reality: Using spamgourmet.com is like playing roulette from now on:
We can't guarantee that your mails will be forwarded, but hey, it's free. Great, isn't it?
The fact that it's free means nothing. It doesn't help anyone, it makes things only worse if it doesn't work.

I bet you're real fun to give gifts to during holidays (I can picture it now: "Gee thanks Dad, but the fact you got me a Seiko rather than a Rolex has made me lose all trust in you").

My dad is dead. Besides that you are an unkind dumbfuck.

Pffffpt.

Use a cleenex, dude.

Icfu
Icfu

I don't receive mails

Postby bold » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi,

unfortunatly I don't receive e'mails anymore. I get allways an respond, that the time limit has exceeded because spamgourmet doesn't respond. I've checked the account and the remaining mails on the adresses but no mail will arrive. Can somebody help!

Thanks

B.K.
bold

Status?

Postby gumpish » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:36 pm

What's the current status of mail delivery? Is the queue being emptied? Any estimate of when normal service will return? :?:
gumpish

Postby muttdog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:43 pm

Thanks for a great service!!!

Any status update? Has the Server caught up completely yet? Or are things still in the mix?
muttdog

Postby jbs » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:17 pm

I saw where the service supposedly came back up, but I've still not received anything through SG in days.

For other users, did normal service return at any time? Or has it been a continuous outage for most?

Thanks!

--Jason

P.S. Visit my poll about your willingness to pay for a more stable version of SpamGourmet here:

http://images.spamgourmet.com/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=411
jbs

PreviousNext

Return to What's New