spamgourmet will be shutting down soon

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Re: spamgourmet will be shutting down soon

Postby vic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:13 pm

josh wrote:Hey y'all -- I removed the shutdown announcement from the front page. I'm working with another admin on keeping the system running. At this point, still no new users, and that may be true indefinitely, but it won't be my call. This person will be taking over the payment of the bills (hosting, domains, certificates, etc.) and receipt of the donations.

Hello, Josh,

I created an account just to answer you.
I have been using spamgourmet since 2004 - with great pleasure, satisfaction and security.
This kind of e-mail was a real gift!

I would like to express to you (all your helpers, relatives and acquaintances) my greatest respect and esteem.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the work you have done!!
SPG will NEVER be forgotten.
You - Josh - have in my heart and life - a candle that burns there forever.
Many thanks for the freedom and security of our e-mail traffic that you have created!

I come from (South)Germany.
My English is not very good - sorry!

As a surgeon (now already 60 years old) I know that you have a hard time ahead of you.
I would love to have you as my patient!
Surely you know that one should not give up.
If death is at the door, then dying is not so bad, but a cruel parish.

Please enjoy your life now - as long as it lasts!
There are still many beautiful days ahead!
Believe me!!!

e-mails are not so important now.
I'm already doing a lot of rebuilding.

Should spamgourmet continue to exist, I would be happy.

I wish you much strength and also joy!

All the best ... vic (Viktor) ;-)
vic

Postby michaeldlr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:55 am

I have managed to import the SVN based code into Git and I have created a repository on GitHub.

https://github.com/spamgourmet-com/spamgourmet-code

If anybody has a clear visible long posting record here I will happily give you access to the repository at least to contribute (unless there are better suggestions). The new sysadmin can obviously even have the whole project handed over to their ownership if that's the right way.

The initial import may not be perfect since I've just done it with
Code: Select all
git svn clone
(can anyone check it??) but I will look into improving it if there is any interest or comments.

Josh ; what can I say. I'm also a mega-long-term user (22,867 forwarded, 6,738 eaten. You have 279 spamgourmet addresses - and that's just one account, I have almost 200 more on another). Our love and thanks. If there is any help you or the new admin are able to accept to help keep the domains running longer before the spammers get them then please just ask. I'm a reasonably competent sysadmin with systems/networking knowledge and so on, I'd be willing to find a chunk of time to make the shutdown less painful for the users and less work for you. OTOH, if you just leave it or do anything at all we will all be grateful for all you did for us.
michaeldlr

Postby yayspamgoumet » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:15 am

Josh,

I just want to wish you well. I only wish my warm thoughts could give you healing as well ... but I send them to you whether or not they work!

You have done such a great service to so many people, and without asking for anything in return. I'm so grateful to you.
I can't type, as you can see
yayspamgoumet

Postby spamgourmetuser » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Last edited by spamgourmetuser on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spamgourmetuser

Postby r2d2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:20 am

Josh,

Thank you so much for everything that you have done.

Your message stats: 137,225 forwarded, 46,949 eaten. You have 1218 spamgourmet address(es).
First disposable was 2007-11-09 22:22

If there's anyway that I can help out, please let me know.

Thanks!
r2d2

Postby spamgourmetuser » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Last edited by spamgourmetuser on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spamgourmetuser

Postby moofey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:37 pm

I came to the forum to see if anyone else was having trouble with Gmail putting all mail to SG aliases into the Spam folder (link), and learned for the first time the sad news about Josh's health and the potential shutdown of SG.

My thanks and best wishes to Josh for making this service available and for the treatment and care he is receiving.

I've been a steady SG user since 2005 and use it not so much for "disposable" email addresses as for masking my real address. If it's not a financial or healthcare provider, pretty much everything I sign up for gets a SG address.

47,239 forwarded, 54,072 eaten. You have 730 spamgourmet address(es).

23,374 of those 54,072 are all from one baddie: the promise of free samples from "QualityHealth".
moofey

Postby spamgourmetuser » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:30 am

Last edited by spamgourmetuser on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spamgourmetuser

Postby MrSmith » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:01 am

Hey Josh,

How long has spamgourmet truly been around? It seems as though I remember reading about it and creating an account in the late 90's or early 00's, but given that the earliest address I can find is 2005, I think I must have had a different account or just didn't use it for a while.

Your service reminds me of how the internet used to be: jolly good programmers and free thinkers, just looking to help a fellow out and suppress spam. You've been a shining example of integrity and contributing to our community for as long as I can remember, and even though it was a "small" program for your contribution, it still rates among the greats in my book, along with people like Linus Torvalds or the original founders of Mozilla, EFF, HardOCP, etc. To this day, I've still never found anything that comes close.

I hope the new admin works out well, and I will be praying for your health regardless.

I just wanted to create this BBS account to say thank you.

Thank you for being a hero to all of us, swinging the proverbial sword and slaying the spam beast, bringing a new era of internet freedom to so many! Long shall the virtual songs of your glory be sung good sir. For no matter the hundreds of thousands of spam goblins, after you slayed the beast they could not stand before your might! None could pass! And you did it not for gold nor reward, but for the good of all mankind!
MrSmith

Postby spamgourmetuser » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:20 am

spamgourmetuser

Postby rgm » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:29 am

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've been proud of you and your commitment to simple, effective, altruistic internet service that has served me well for so long. I'm so grateful for all the spam you saved me from, all without asking anything in return.

Much love.

13,568 forwarded, 49,983 eaten. You have 682 spamgourmet address(es).
rgm

Postby stisev » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am

josh wrote:Hey y'all -- I removed the shutdown announcement from the front page. I'm working with another admin on keeping the system running. At this point, still no new users, and that may be true indefinitely, but it won't be my call. This person will be taking over the payment of the bills (hosting, domains, certificates, etc.) and receipt of the donations.

Some of you have continued to make donations, fully aware of the shutdown plan - wow. The new admin will likely appreciate donations to pay for the service costs -- but again, this will be that person's concern, not mine.

Did I mention that I'm a pretty active spamgourmet user, and would like to keep using it? :)

I won't make any announcements about future plans, or who will be involved -- this new person would be the one to do that -- but removing the shutdown notice on the front page seemed like the right thing to do.

I do *not* plan to sell the (not)business or data, or to transfer it to someone who will.

If you have been working on starting up a similar service of any sort - personal/business/etc. -- don't stop! (unless you want to, of course).

[I dream about transferring complete admin control for each user to that user, but I don't see a way to do that -- mainly because the domain names have to keep working for everyone using them (well, that, and a lot of users probably wouldn't want to run a server instance).]

My situation hasn't really changed, but given what looks like a decent opportunity for continued operation -- even if limited like it is now -- it makes sense to turn down the freak-out a little.

I really appreciate the support and good thoughts/prayers!! Good luck to us all!

Great news Josh. I am absolutely heartbroken to hear of your health problems. I've been using your service for over 17 years and I am so indebted to you. Please accept my most humblest apologies for your health issues and hope you recover quickly. :(

When I saw the "SG is shutting down" post I had a panick attack. 331 logins all linked to SG.. imagine changing them all, but it was all worth it all these years.
stisev

Postby gourmet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Oh no! Spamgourmet is one of the services that I've truly loved and embraced. I've got 3000+ addresses. And round 200 addresses in active use. Uhh... I guess it's time to start migrating. I really don't know how I've missed this post so long. I've been using Spamgourmet at least since 2004, which seems to make around 16 years now.

I'm so sad to hear about the health problems. I really don't know really what to say.
gourmet

Postby stisev » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:13 am

Are you guys moving to other services?
SG is still working fine but I don't want to be caught with 350+ logins with Spamgourmet suddenly closing.
stisev

Postby JM-L » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm still hoping for Josh to give his incredible service into good hands. I donated something extra to show my support to the new owner.
JM-L

PreviousNext

Return to What's New