spamgourmet will be shutting down soon

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Re: spamgourmet will be shutting down soon

Postby jgonggrijp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 am

Thank you for sharing that with us, Josh!

There is a GitHub mirror over here, which I already forked:
https://github.com/eegeeZA/spamgourmet-clone

I will add your patch and submit a pull request. If nobody beats me to it, that is.
jgonggrijp

Postby no_spam » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:31 am

Great. All it needs is a readme file :D

Anyone, apart from Josh, no how to deploy this to an existing hosting service with a custom domain name?

PR: https://github.com/eegeeZA/spamgourmet-clone/pull/1
// no comment
no_spam

Postby jgonggrijp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 am

There is a brief installation guide over here:
https://github.com/eegeeZA/spamgourmet- ... nstall.txt
jgonggrijp

Postby regn » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Hello Josh,

this is very sorry, I use spamgourmet since 15 years and I rely a lot on it ...

is there nobody who can continue this gateway?

for me to come out of spamgourmet whithout harm would take one year, i guess.

kind regards

Your message stats: 93,722 forwarded, 54,934 eaten. You have 2379 spamgourmet address(es).
Last edited by regn on Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
regn

Postby no_spam » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm

@regn. Check out this post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1766. Hopefully, it will make you a little more sympathetic to the reason why...
// no comment
no_spam

Postby eegee » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Josh. You have my most sincere sympathy for your situation. I cannot begin to image what you might be going through.

I have been an avid user of your service for many years, and I know that I am not alone in knowing that it will be thoroughly missed. I created the GitHub clone in case of needing a modern starting point. I saw today that I have already received two Pull Requests from @no_spam following on the suggestion of @jgonggrijp to add your spoof protection changes. I can accept future PRs, but I cannot commit to any timelines. Seeing the interest, I now have plans to somehow recreate this on a cloud service and possibly rewrite it to use cloud functions/lambdas which have the potential to avoid certain costs.

My stats and near-future admin:
Your message stats: 24,798 forwarded, 4,810 eaten. You have 608 spamgourmet address(es).
First address created: 2008-10-03 02:19
eegee

Any chance you'll change your mind about transferring contro

Postby jim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:26 am

So sorry to hear about your health situation Josh. I'll be praying for a miracle for you.

Any chance you'll change your mind about transferring spamgourmet (or just its domains) to another steward? Changing my hundreds of email addresses to a new provider will take a large amount of work. I would much rather see spamgourmet carry on under someone else's guidance, even if it's a paid provider. I'd hate to go through all the work of changing my spam email provider just to find out spamgourmet isn't going away after all. It looks like there are some folks here with the technical skills to run spamgourmet, but without the domains I'll still have to change my email address for hundreds of accounts.

BTW I've always appreciated the comedic and technical value of Applied Mambernetics. If the domains do get transferred to someone else I hope they continue to run this website as well. :)

Regarding MrData, I don't think the way you use spamgourmet is an edge case. That's the same way I use it. I've been a happy spamgourmet customer since 2003 and have these message stats:
52,116 forwarded, 18,505 eaten. You have 723 spamgourmet address(es).
jim

Postby JohnnnyB » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:09 am

Hello Josh.

I happened on your message quite accidentally this morning. So after all these years that I benefitted gracefully from your work, without really thinking much about it, this is the first time I write to you to thank you.

Thank you for all your selfless dedicated work over all those years.

I sincerely hope that you will be able to spend your remaining time with your loved ones and still enjoy the pleasures of life.

Take care,

Andy
JohnnnyB

Postby josh » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Hey y'all -- I removed the shutdown announcement from the front page. I'm working with another admin on keeping the system running. At this point, still no new users, and that may be true indefinitely, but it won't be my call. This person will be taking over the payment of the bills (hosting, domains, certificates, etc.) and receipt of the donations.

Some of you have continued to make donations, fully aware of the shutdown plan - wow. The new admin will likely appreciate donations to pay for the service costs -- but again, this will be that person's concern, not mine.

Did I mention that I'm a pretty active spamgourmet user, and would like to keep using it? :)

I won't make any announcements about future plans, or who will be involved -- this new person would be the one to do that -- but removing the shutdown notice on the front page seemed like the right thing to do.

I do *not* plan to sell the (not)business or data, or to transfer it to someone who will.

If you have been working on starting up a similar service of any sort - personal/business/etc. -- don't stop! (unless you want to, of course).

[I dream about transferring complete admin control for each user to that user, but I don't see a way to do that -- mainly because the domain names have to keep working for everyone using them (well, that, and a lot of users probably wouldn't want to run a server instance).]

My situation hasn't really changed, but given what looks like a decent opportunity for continued operation -- even if limited like it is now -- it makes sense to turn down the freak-out a little.

I really appreciate the support and good thoughts/prayers!! Good luck to us all!
josh

Postby jim » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:45 pm

josh wrote:Hey y'all -- I removed the shutdown announcement from the front page. I'm working with another admin on keeping the system running...

Great news for spamgourmet, thanks. I'll continue to pray that someday we'll also hear good news regarding your health.
jim

Postby jgonggrijp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:52 pm

That's a relief, Josh. Thank you again for managing to arrange something.

Will the new admin join us here on the forum so we can introduce ourselves?
jgonggrijp

Postby sopan123 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Josh,

is there ANY way you might think of some who might step forward to take over the upkeep of the site? i will seriously and gladly become part of any serious group to preserver this invaluable work, including financially. if you have ANYTHING which might work, please let me help you. i can travel to you and need no financial or physical support. (crash on couch, drain on any of your energy, etc. please consider it. i would never sell or change the business model. if anything i would propose a coop type ownership or management style to honor what you have so freely given. i also see a possible admin takeover behind the scenes. i'd love to get an intro with the idea of possibly working together. thank you for all your work, and if there is anything on the personal level you can feel free to reach out anytime.
sopan123

Postby sba923 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi Josh,

That's good news for this great service we all have come to depend upon. There's no shop I've been to and explain the SG address I was supplying them with that didn't react in the "oh, that's a very good idea, how can I do this myself?" vein.

Again, if there's anything I can do to help with the transition, such as testing (I'm living in France, so this would have to be something I can do remotely, but there's probably a lot to be done in that department anyway).

I'm strongly hoping that something can be done for you to recover.

Best regards,

Stéphane.
sba923

Postby Cathy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:13 am

"Wonderful spam!" Thanks so much Josh for all your service & turning down the freak! & thanks to your new Admin for stepping up. Fingers toes legs n eyes crossed that all goes to plan. So sorry to hear of your problems, best wishes from New Zealand to you & your family, hope you get some good hugs & something nice to eat today, maybe some NZ lamb?

Your message stats: 6,901 forwarded, 32,927 eaten. You have 253 spamgourmet address(es).
Cathy

Postby no_spam » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:37 am

Also wanted to reply regarding the comment from MrData. I also don't think the way you use spamgourmet is an edge case. That's the same way I use it.

Every company gets its own email address. I know exactly who has sold it on. The other benefit is when/if I receive a phishing mail, I additionally check the mail alias it was sent to, it should match the company that sent it.

Looking at alternatives still. Not many provide "send from disposable address" option, only reply-to.
// no comment
no_spam

PreviousNext

Return to What's New