what's next

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

Re: what's next

Postby steveparbbs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

Hi Josh,

Just a very short note to thank you profusely for your generous and community spirited service all these years. I've been using Spamgourmet longer than I can remember.

I was sorry to hear recently of your diagnosis and the prognosis. I recognise that in the West the subject of death is still something of a taboo and therefore I hope it's not crass to say that we have all bought a ticket to the same inevitable destination. As a meditator, I contemplate my death frequently and i often wonder how I will deal with that news when it is inevitably delivered to me and the process that follows it. Obviously, I assume that I will not be one of the ones who expires in a snap of the fingers without any forewarning, although we generally do not know the mode of our passing until it is close to hand.

If a cure isn't possible and obviously there are medical advances every day, so I wouldn't give up on that idea casually, but then from your demeanour I know I needn't point that truth out to you, then I hope that your passing is peaceful and achieved in a state of completeness with this life.

With heartfelt best wishes to you. Thank you for touching my life in a very positive, constructive and generous context. I just hope that I can learn to be more giving of myself in observance of your fine example. I promise that I will be mindful of your example from time to time and seek to embrace those noble qualities in gratitude to you for the positive influence you have had on my life.
steveparbbs

Postby xmzzy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:19 am

Hello Josh,

Thank you so much for the service you have provided these many years. I was very saddened to hear of your health problems and wish you peace.
xmzzy

Postby josh7143 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am

I know that your original post is now over a year old, and am sorry I didn't notice it until now. I'm sorry to hear of your ailments. I just thought I would add a few thoughts to what's been said in replies thus far:
1. Regarding new user signup correlation to support requests; Perhaps we could implement a support request system within which established users and willing members would contribute by responding to incoming questions? As long as it's not a server load issue, it would be nice to have the new user capability enabled. But I do understand keeping it disabled if for reasons of uncertainty of project future.

2. Mailbox.org is a site based in Germany that provides encrypted email services; within these they have the ability to generate disposable addresses. This company may be interested and/or willing to help with hardware/colocation potentially.

3. Barring getting someone such as Mailbox to assume control, perhaps it would be possible to have the server hosted at a location that provides full-service administration. As long as the service was aware of the code and infrastructure, then they would only host and maintain as needed? This would keep service going for most technical reasons. This would necessitate a donation target bar or similar to make others aware of the administration costs.

4. Definitely like the idea of a board of ≈ 9 people that would be responsible for decision making; Possibly paired with the above option, and with some assistance with a board-selected programmer, could ensure ongoing operation and necessary maintenance/improvements.

5. Suggest adding a survey to the home page, for those that are interested in helping with the current or impending situation. Within the survey, persons would be able to indicate how they would like to help and what skills they might have to contribute. Be clear to state that help isn't needed imminently but the name and information will be kept on hand for a future date. This way, perhaps it can be less chaotic and spamgourmet will be able to live on. You've left an indelible mark either way.

I am only bra---- no, thinking out loud. Suggestions aren't meant to be in any order.

I wish you and your family wonderful times together with the time you have left on this earth. And, here's hoping that in the afterlife, they will take into consideration the number of spam messages you're responsible for eliminating!! =)

All the best,
Joshua H.
Your message stats: 1,176 forwarded, 253,977 eaten. You have 271 spamgourmet address(es).
josh7143

Postby stisev » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 pm

I think I read somewhere that we found a potential new host?

Not to sound insensitive, but SG's closure would represent a huge problem for me as I use the service for some critical services. Are you guys transitioning yourselves away - for at least your critical stuff?
stisev

Postby dnw0 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi,

First: LOVE SSG!
Your message stats: 6,632 forwarded, 23,616 eaten. You have 450 spamgourmet address(es).

I don't know the status on SSG right now, but I have an idea for an organisation located in Sweden, that might be a match on taking over SSG.
Links and information below: (all pasted from theis web)

"The Swedish Internet Foundation"
https://internetstiftelsen.se/en/
is an independent, business-driven and public-benefit organization. We work for an internet that contributes positively to people and society. We are responsible for the internet's Swedish top-level domain .se and manages the operation and administration of the top-level domain .nu. The revenue from our business finances a number of initiatives in order to enable people to use the internet in the best way, and to stimulate the sharing of knowledge and innovation with a focus on the internet.

They have: "seven Board members" Read the rules of procedure for the Nomination Committee
Code of Conduct
The Statues for The Swedish Internet Foundation
Telephone: +46 8 452 35 00
Email address: info@internetstiftelsen.se

I might be able to get a personal contact, if that would be intresting.

Hope This helps!

Best regards
Patrick Member since 2005-something (pmatts, mts0n & dnw0)
dnw0

Postby ragingdragon » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:50 am

Josh,

Wanted to add my 2 cents that you have made the world a better place for at least 2 decades, and from what little I know of you, likely a lot longer. I wish I knew you in real life. Hope you get better and live a long wonderful life.

Thanks a lot for taking care of us for a long time, do focus on taking care of yourself.
ragingdragon

Postby skopeia » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:22 am

Hello Josh,

Thank you for your generous activity, which I use for decades. I would be glad to support the team at least with a little financial support. If you publish an account
skopeia

Postby SG-Fan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am

Dear skopeia,

I'm one of the tiny sponsors. Last time when I payed from overseas, josh was currently at good health and confirmed the income at him and his family. However, confirmations are subject to their spare time.

For a donation with Paypal, go to the homepage https://www.spamgourmet.com/ and seek the very top right side there.

josiah told us here, how he uses the donations
https://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1793&p=8312&hilit=paypal&#p8312

yours,
SG-Fan
SG-Fan

Re: what's next for spam Gourmet

Postby sopan123 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Josh I just want you to know I'm very sorry about your situation please consider reaching out on the board if you need any help I have the resources to support spamgourmet and I wanted to know if you'd be interested in a dialogue I think I have enough resources to continue spamgourmet existence on the basis of free or possibly nonprofit email your creation oh and the preservation of spam Gourmet is something I would consider a National Treasure
sopan123

Re: what's next for spam Gourmet

Postby lwc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:49 pm

sopan123 wrote:Josh I just want you to know I'm very sorry about your situation please consider reaching out on the board if you need any help I have the resources to support spamgourmet and I wanted to know if you'd be interested in a dialogue

I don't know why his son posted it in the general forum and not here, but Josh has sadly passed away.

He also chose the general forum to post about the future.
lwc

Previous

Return to What's New