disabled new users

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

disabled new users

Postby josh » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:23 am

Until we get a plan for what's going to happen to spamgourmet, I don't think it's fair to be accepting new users (not fair to the new users, that is), so I have turned that off, at least temporarily.

I'm planning to post here again when I have a little more time - hopefully this weekend. No news (no new news, anyway), I just really need to get cracking on what the next step is given my health situation.
josh

Re: disabled new users

Postby VanguardLH » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 am

I thought Craigslist abandoned their half-arsed somewhat-anonymous e-mail scheme to use Spamgourmet.
VanguardLH

Postby operaciones » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:12 pm

While I already said I am sorry, and offered help....

I wonder if it would be possible that the persons taking over the burden would open the registration of new aliases for long time users.
We already know how to use the system and we will produce almost no load to support us.

TIA & All the Best!
Ops
operaciones

Postby VanguardLH » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:27 pm

I was wondering if Craigslist used Spamgourmet (but perhaps their own mail servers instead of burdening Spamgourmet's) because maybe they could offer help to ensure their system and a separate public Spamgourmet system keep running. However, getting support or even a contact at Craigslist really sucks. They have forums (https://forums.craigslist.org/) but josh would need assurance that Craigslist would have their dev/support team participate in them instead of just peers trying to help each other. Their feedback scheme is worthless for getting help or to report problems with their service. Currently (and based solely on my experience in the past) is that Craigslist keeps themselves too insulated from their users. If Craigslist uses Spamgourmet's services then they really need to get involved before josh is incapable of managing that aliasing service. If they don't use SG's service but just the software, they still should be interested in maintaining it instead of having to find yet another replacement for aliased messaging (the old scheme sucked, and why I thought they moved to using Spamgourmet).

If Craigslist doesn't use Spamgourmet (its software or its service) then they won't have incentive to maintain and well-support Spamgourmet, and this subthread is irrelevant. I remember Craigslist's old scheme that was only 1-way private (i.e., no reply masking), so I had to use an SG alias with Craigslist. Then Craigslist changed their scheme and it seemed very Spamgourmet-like. I haven't used Craigslist for awhile, but I thought their aliasing e-mail addresses (in the right-token, or domain part) had craigslist.org and the left token (username) looked very much like how SG works. I cannot find any section at spamgourmet.com that lists who else might be employing Spamgourmet's service or software, so it just might be me wishfully hoping Craigslist switched to using SG and, if so, maybe Craigslist would have incentive to help. When I mentioned what appeared some interaction between Spamgourmet and Craiglist, josh didn't slap my fingers and say there was no such association.
VanguardLH

Postby josh » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:37 pm

VanguardLH wrote:I thought Craigslist abandoned their half-arsed somewhat-anonymous e-mail scheme to use Spamgourmet.

wut?
josh

Postby VanguardLH » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 pm

I'll take that as a "No, Craigslist is not using Craigslist services or software". I thought I heard that when Craigslist changed their entire e-mail scheme. Guess I was wrong.
VanguardLH

Postby josh » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 pm

That's the thing -- they could be using it without me knowing about it :) -- we really, really, aren't going through our users' email.

But I'm pretty sure they're not using the service. They (and anyone else) is free to use the open source code as they see fit. I'm guessing they're probably managing their email function completely. If they have been able to get any value out of spamgourmet, whether the service, the code, or something else, that's awesome.
josh

Postby VanguardLH » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 am

I think the reason I thought Craigslist was using Spamgourmet's scheme was from the From header showing the same syntax as someone sending an e-mail through a Spamgourmet alias. I haven't sold anything for a long time at Craigslist, or bought anything, either (too many sellers overestimate their used goods value and many use Craigslist as a free venue for retail sales). I don't have any old e-mails to look at that went through Craigslist's e-mail system.

At one time, sellers were kept anonymous when they replied to inquiries to their auction, but the inquiries from a candidate buyer were not anonymous. Then they made it anonymous in both directions, and I thought their headers looked remarkably like those I see when using Spamgourmet. I'll have to wait around until I see something I want to buy there to see what the headers look like. I don't want to bother a CG seller with a bogus inquiry.
VanguardLH

Return to What's New